The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

My petition has the required five sponsors. On the website it told me to check back again in a couple of days. If people want to go over to the website and my petition once it is [hopefully] live ,go to www.petitions.parliament.uk. The title of the petition is " Make the Government Reinstate the Death Penalty for Convicted Paedophiles". Might change the title [if I am able to] to include child abusers as well. The name of the person [me] who has set up the petition is Lisa O'Brien. GREAT debate here by everyone BTW.
Original post by Tabstercat
Hahaha, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You proved my point. We're all human, we all see that kind of hideous crime and our first reaction is disgust and a desire for revenge. But part of being an INTELLIGENT and RATIONAL person (which clearly you aren't) is moving past our base instincts and actually thinking about the wider picture. Most people are stupid, hence most people aren't capable of this, this is why so many people in the UK support bringing the Death Penalty back.

Well maybe there are reasons why I am not rational about child abusers.
Original post by markova21

In that case I think you should put this in the title of your petition:

P.S I am easily swayed by emotions and this petition is coming from a totally non-rational standpoint.
From a purely personal point of view, I would cut their dicks off [if they were men] and leave them to slowly bleed to death.
Original post by ivybridge
Woah, guys, calm your ****. You're all pretending like the question asked was: "Do you think paedophiles raping is okay?" - it was not. The question asked was about whether or not the death penalty is an OK punishment for convicted paedophiles and @hezzlington's comment in response served to question whether or not it is okay to murder a mentally ill person for crimes they committed. Furthermore, the user said they should be incarcerated. As such, how you can possibly derive a justification or excuse out of that, I do not know. He clearly condemned it. You wanna talk now about who's appearing slow, pal?

Um excuse me, I put down my opinion on the death penalty, and I get two morally empty idiots thinking that it is wrong that I want these horrible pedophiles to suffer. All I did was say that they are not great themselves if they're empathizing with a pedophile themselves.
Oh well, I guess people are even more idiotic than I first thought. :dontknow:
From a purely personal point of view, I would cut their dicks off [if they were men] and leave them to slowly bleed to death.

You'd fit right in at ISIS, or perhaps Medieval England.

I think you may have missed the point of the justice system. It is not there to seek retribution and appease bloodlust. Ultimately either the death penalty or imprisonment both remove someone from society at large, preventing them hurting anyone else. However one of these is cheaper and gives an option for the wrongly convicted to be released.

Then you will never be a social worker
Original post by BaconandSauce
Then you will never be a social worker

What? I don't want to be a social worker !
What? I don't want to be a social worker !

Sorry misread your 'About me'

But as a mother I can see why you have the stance you do
Original post by Tabstercat
You'd fit right in at ISIS, or perhaps Medieval England.

OK, I would never ever harm another human being ,or animal for that matter. My sister fantasises about digging our father up and kicking his skull around the cemetery. The psychiatrist told her this is a perfectly normal reaction and emotion for someone like her to have and in a way was healthy. Provided she never actually went ahead and dug him up.!!! Thinking about men like that being physically castrated is a kind of therapy for me. But if it came down to it,if I saw someone who was going to do that ,for real, then I would do whatever it took to stop them.
I'm in favour of the death penalty for heinous crimes like child rape and mass homicide ~ but only in situations where there's 100% proof that the person is guilty, was in control of their actions, and shows no remorse.

It's a rather final decision that can't exactly be appealed after execution.
Original post by libidothief
Um excuse me, I put down my opinion on the death penalty, and I get two morally empty idiots thinking that it is wrong that I want these horrible pedophiles to suffer. All I did was say that they are not great themselves if they're empathizing with a pedophile themselves.
Oh well, I guess people are even more idiotic than I first thought. :dontknow:

*Wants paedophiles to be incarcerated.*

*Is told this maks me morally empty.*

The irony; you want them to suffer - I'd say that makes you the morally inept party.
Original post by hezzlington
It's a mental disorder, so I'm not sure if death is the appropriate action to take. Life in prison is pretty justified. What will death achieve as opposed to life in prison?

I agree, death is not the answer as you cannot solve violence with violence, it will never work. Besides, he isn't even really getting punished if he is simply allowed to die as he wont get to face the punishment that life will give him for his actions.

The irony; you want them to suffer - I'd say that makes you the morally inept party.

Looool agreed.
The death penalty should be re-introduced for convicted pedophiles if they do not repent or have any moral sense of regret towards the actions they have committed. However, if they do repent or have some sense of guilt then I believe that a more fair punishment should be awarded.
Convicting someone for being a paedophile is like convicting someone for being homosexual.

Original post by anarchism101
That said, the conflation is pretty typical in my experience in these kinds of debates - most people seem to think that sex with children is illegal on a yuck factor basis, rather than due to their legal inability to consent.
This ^

You get convicted for rape or some other sexual crime. You don't get convicted for being sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children.

We don't convict people of thought crimes (yet) much to the disappointment of many people in these type of threads...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Convicting someone for being a paedophile is like convicting someone for being homosexual.

Convicting a paedophile could be part of a prevention strategy, so more like convicting someone for being a non violent extremist.
Original post by hovado
Convicting a paedophile could be part of a prevention strategy, so more like convicting someone for being a non violent extremist.

I could be considered a non violent extremist with my political views.

Locking people up for thinking is not compatible with liberal democracy.
(edited 7 years ago)

Is there something wrong with wanting people who have raped children which has caused horrible PtSD to suffer? These people have ruined lives. I think it's alright for them to suffer if they've caused even worse suffering themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending