The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3J The State and The People: Britain: 1918-1964 2016

Just thought that I would start a thread as I cannot seem to find one! How is everyone's revision going, any predictions for what might come up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowwhite659
Just thought that I would start a thread as I cannot seem to find one! How is everyone's revision going, any predictions for what might come up?

My teacher predicted the minority Labour governments, political extremism in the 1930s, the general strike, economic depression, consensus politics after 1951.
Original post by Iraida1996
My teacher predicted the minority Labour governments, political extremism in the 1930s, the general strike, economic depression, consensus politics after 1951.

Thanks I really want LG to come up but I think he came up last year so probably won't! I also have trouble putting historical interpretation in my essays, any advice to help me improve? I really need an A and I'm worried that if I don't include it I will not get one :frown:
Thanks I really want LG to come up but I think he came up last year so probably won't! I also have trouble putting historical interpretation in my essays, any advice to help me improve? I really need an A and I'm worried that if I don't include it I will not get one :frown:

The 1945 Labour government came up last year, I think this year they will ask about the first two minority Labour, 1924-24 and 1929-31.
Don't worry, it is likely that you will still get the marks even if you don't include historical interpretation, I got As is some essays without including it.
my teacher predicted
1929 General Election
1926 General Strike
EEC ?? linking to cons failure in 1964 relating to the EU referendum today
possibly the economy

i hope for a Lloyd George Question

has anyone got any A grade or top band essays they'd be willing to send to me because me and my class are really struggling
Original post by Rishalll31
my teacher predicted
1929 General Election
1926 General Strike
EEC ?? linking to cons failure in 1964 relating to the EU referendum today
possibly the economy

i hope for a Lloyd George Question

has anyone got any A grade or top band essays they'd be willing to send to me because me and my class are really struggling

My teacher said that they can't set a question specifically on the EEC because its such a small part of the spec, they could ask a question relating to affluence and the economy which you can include the EEC in, but not specifically on it
My teacher said that they can't set a question specifically on the EEC because its such a small part of the spec, they could ask a question relating to affluence and the economy which you can include the EEC in, but not specifically on it

Oh ok ! That's an alright question then !
Hey guys!

My teacher also predicted GS 1926, LG, an economic overview (not sure which time period) or maybe consensus 1951-64

I'm starting to stress about this exam! There's so much content to remember :/
Nice to see other people are having the same kind of worries I am. My Teacher unfortunately didn't predict any real subjects of the course per se, but he did believe that Churchill may make a appearance of some sort in the questions since there is yet to be a question on it.
Original post by HarrietLGH98
Hey guys!

My teacher also predicted GS 1926, LG, an economic overview (not sure which time period) or maybe consensus 1951-64

I'm starting to stress about this exam! There's so much content to remember :/

I totally agree, it's the only exam I'm doing where have I about 50+ pages of notes.
Original post by JackBowman112
I totally agree, it's the only exam I'm doing where have I about 50+ pages of notes.

Ikr I keep trying to condense it but its not working.....

How are you revising for it? I keep switching between making bullet points from memory and youtube videos.. think I'll do a past paper either later today or tomorrow too :smile:
Ikr I keep trying to condense it but its not working.....

How are you revising for it? I keep switching between making bullet points from memory and youtube videos.. think I'll do a past paper either later today or tomorrow too :smile:

I've just found myself doing very similar, I mostly make notes from "modern British history" by Norman Lowe and "Britain 1895-1951" by Murphy, Goodlad and Staton. I actually couldn't find many youtube videos on it. I'm okay on most of the course but it's just so vast, it's a real struggle to revise everything. I'm hoping that political extremism doesn't come up.
I've just found myself doing very similar, I mostly make notes from "modern British history" by Norman Lowe and "Britain 1895-1951" by Murphy, Goodlad and Staton. I actually couldn't find many youtube videos on it. I'm okay on most of the course but it's just so vast, it's a real struggle to revise everything. I'm hoping that political extremism doesn't come up.

I've got the book by Murphy, Goodlad and Staton... its a good one :smile:

As regards to the videos if you search 'Andrew Marr: Making of Modern Britain' there are 6 episodes but you don't need to watch from episode 1 as it starts earlier than our course does, I think our course content starts somewhere in either episode 2 or 3... can't remember.

I agree the course is so vast its crazy like how do they expect us to remember things for every single government?!

I think political extremism would only come up in a question about the 30's? I can't see how we would tackle a broad overview question about extremism.
I've got the book by Murphy, Goodlad and Staton... its a good one :smile:

As regards to the videos if you search 'Andrew Marr: Making of Modern Britain' there are 6 episodes but you don't need to watch from episode 1 as it starts earlier than our course does, I think our course content starts somewhere in either episode 2 or 3... can't remember.

I agree the course is so vast its crazy like how do they expect us to remember things for every single government?!

I think political extremism would only come up in a question about the 30's? I can't see how we would tackle a broad overview question about extremism.

Yeah, the book is actually pretty good. Ah thank you for the video suggestion, I'll probably be watching those either tonight or tomorrow to prepare myself. One thing that I found sort of helpful was actually going onto Wikipedia to find some historian's views, I found out a bit more about Snowden's Free Breakfast Table, some quotes by Charles Loch Mowat and a quote by Churchill during the General Strike that I think I'm going to try and shoehorn it into my exam no matter what answer it is. But you've put my mind at rest on political extremism, while the course may be huge, I feel like if extremism came up in a question I would stay as far away from it as possible, there's only really the CPGB and BUF and there's not even that much to talk about with them other than Mosley. I just hope considering this is the last year, the questions go easy on us. Fingers crossed for a real general broad based question.
Yeah, the book is actually pretty good. Ah thank you for the video suggestion, I'll probably be watching those either tonight or tomorrow to prepare myself. One thing that I found sort of helpful was actually going onto Wikipedia to find some historian's views, I found out a bit more about Snowden's Free Breakfast Table, some quotes by Charles Loch Mowat and a quote by Churchill during the General Strike that I think I'm going to try and shoehorn it into my exam no matter what answer it is. But you've put my mind at rest on political extremism, while the course may be huge, I feel like if extremism came up in a question I would stay as far away from it as possible, there's only really the CPGB and BUF and there's not even that much to talk about with them other than Mosley. I just hope considering this is the last year, the questions go easy on us. Fingers crossed for a real general broad based question.

Here is a possible question on extremism " Limiting support for extremist solutions was the National Government's greatest success"

I found the videos really useful, its a good way to vary revision I guess and Andrew Marr's documentaries are always interesting!

Ooooh I might have a quick scan of Wikipedia then and try to find some more views, I've been trying to learn at least two or three for each government but many having one that not everyone else has will be seen as a bonus by the examiners!

I agree, I think political extremism would be a ridiculously hard question for 45 marks especially when, like you've said, theres only CPGB and BUF. On another thread someone mentioned a question on the EEC and Charles de Gaulle saying 'non' to our entry because of the EU referendum coming up but I feel like that as well is a really narrow topic that doesn't have enough content to be a 45 mark question :/

I'd love a question on LG, the General Strike or the first two minority Labour Governments... for some reason those are three areas that I understand and feel confident with, I'm really worried about an economic overview question though as I find the economy statistics and facts really really difficult to remember for each government.
Original post by Iraida1996
Here is a possible question on extremism " Limiting support for extremist solutions was the National Government's greatest success"

That's not too bad because I guess you can talk about the economic crisis, abdication crisis, and appeasement I presume as well. I may actually be okay with that, thanks for the heads up.
I found the videos really useful, its a good way to vary revision I guess and Andrew Marr's documentaries are always interesting!

Ooooh I might have a quick scan of Wikipedia then and try to find some more views, I've been trying to learn at least two or three for each government but many having one that not everyone else has will be seen as a bonus by the examiners!

I agree, I think political extremism would be a ridiculously hard question for 45 marks especially when, like you've said, theres only CPGB and BUF. On another thread someone mentioned a question on the EEC and Charles de Gaulle saying 'non' to our entry because of the EU referendum coming up but I feel like that as well is a really narrow topic that doesn't have enough content to be a 45 mark question :/

I'd love a question on LG, the General Strike or the first two minority Labour Governments... for some reason those are three areas that I understand and feel confident with, I'm really worried about an economic overview question though as I find the economy statistics and facts really really difficult to remember for each government.

Yeah with Wikipedia, I find the best way to do it, is to research each individual act or each Ministry and there's quite a lot of information there, so it's pretty good as a resource actually. But yeah I'd hate political extremism, I think similar to you I'm better on the first half of the course than I am on the latter years of government. I think a question on Lloyd George I'd be okay with, even leading up to the National Government I'd be alright with but you're certainly not alone with economics. Regarding fiscal and monetary policies, I literally have no idea, so I'll join you in hoping no questions like that appear.
What would be the layout for a question on extremism? Would it be in the context of National Government or throughout entire period? Don't know what I'd include if we got that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChelseaGeek666
What would be the layout for a question on extremism? Would it be in the context of National Government or throughout entire period? Don't know what I'd include if we got that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think as Iraida 1996 said, it would be something along the lines of "Here is a possible question on extremism " Limiting support for extremist solutions was the National Government's greatest success"

Just not looking forward to this exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending