The Student Room Group

Maths with economics at UCL or MORSE at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Princepieman
All of this is complete and utter, crap.

In the realm of finance, whether internationally or nationally both universities are fine choices. It's really that simple. All of this debacle about rankings leads nowhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the USA there's a pressure of getting into ivy league cos state unis arent seen as prestigious. UCL is up there with ivy league, Warwick isnt. If you seriously think prestige isnt going to count then think again.

Perhaps dont be such a bigot and think with an open mind?

Finance, especially high Finance is ridiculously competitive and i think i'd rather have the better brand name in my CV. Saying its equal when UCL is in the top 10 and warwick is much lower is a load of rubbish.

Warwick is known for pushing people into accounting, auditing that kind of stuff. Havent you heard of the program with EY?
Original post by foozy
In the USA there's a pressure of getting into ivy league cos state unis arent seen as prestigious. UCL is up there with ivy league, Warwick isnt. If you seriously think prestige isnt going to count then think again.

Finance, especially high Finance is ridiculously competitive and i think i'd rather have the better brand name in my CV. Saying its equal when UCL is in the top 10 and warwick is much lower is a load of rubbish.

Warwick is known for pushing people into accounting, auditing that kind of stuff. Havent you heard of the program with EY?

1. UCL is nowhere near ivy league tier. Not in competitiveness, not in brand, not assets, not in teaching, not in research power. It is a joke to compare ivy league unis to UCL. Oxbridge and LSE/Imperial? Sure.
2. UCL and Warwick send similar numbers into finance, this isn't debatable. If you debate this, I'll know you have no idea what you're on about
3. You're speaking rubbish, all Russell Groups funnel grads into accounting. The big4 recruit 1k+ grads each (not to mention all of the smaller accounting firms), it is quite clear that they represent a large contingent of grad destinations at any half way decent uni. In comparison, there are only ~700-1k spots available in FO finance..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by BizzStrut
I think what's apparent is a reluctance to admit that in terms of 'branding' which is mostly the important thing when selecting a university that UCL is by far the better bet.

If you have any data showing that Warwick has more US business school alumni than UCL, I'm sure you will have already posted it in evidence that you are making a good decision. Do you have a link to that post? Else, I'll presume you found the contrary and are not willing to admit it.

The the f cares about number of business school alumni?

Like really?
Original post by foozy

I notice a theme of 'I think' here. You don't seem to know any bankers or finance folk do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yet the maths professors I know at LSE say they would recommend others go to COWI instead..

It is pretty well known LSE doesn't have a great Maths course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not, but there may be a possibility that COWI dev traders might look down on LSE maths. But it's really not that significant, all if these institutions are heavily targeted. It's kind of pointless having this discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok. Because when I look through linkedin I mostly see COWI grads in exotics trading positions so I got kind of worried- I'm not sure if I can cope with MORSE if I'm getting 65-70% in M2 lol
Original post by Trapz99
Ah ok. Because when I look through linkedin I mostly see COWI grads in exotics trading positions so I got kind of worried- I'm not sure if I can cope with MORSE if I'm getting 65-70% in M2 lol

Yeah, COWI has a stronghold.
Reply 46
1. UCL is nowhere near ivy league tier. Not in competitiveness, not in brand, not assets, not in teaching, not in research power. It is a joke to compare ivy league unis to UCL. Oxbridge and LSE/Imperial? Sure.
2. UCL and Warwick send similar numbers into finance, this isn't debatable. If you debate this, I'll know you have no idea what you're on about
3. You're speaking rubbish, all Russell Groups funnel grads into accounting. The big4 recruit 1k+ grads each (not to mention all of the smaller accounting firms), it is quite clear that they represent a large contingent of grad destinations at any half way decent uni. In comparison, there are only ~700-1k spots available in FO finance..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we've established LSE, Oxbridge, Imperial are all better. That said, Ivy league isnt just Harvard, Yale and Princeton. UCL is quite similar to something like Cornell or Columbia. Funnily enough its ranked above Yale too. It's research is pretty solid and Competitiveness, well you must be joking. It all comes down to perception and UCL is ultimately perceived to be up there.
Yes, ive acknowledged that in the UK its quite similar in stats. That being said, internationally i'd rather have the brand of UCL to back me up than Warwick. UCL does fare with ivy league. You're assuming an american employer is going to see UCL as being equal to Warwick but that simply just isnt the case. Whilst the national rep (including bs performance measures like satisfaction) makes it out to be equal, internationally it simply isnt.
Warwick takes in like a 1000 students for its A&F course
Reply 47
Original post by Trapz99
But OP specifically wants to work in exotic derivatives trading, which requires a good mathematical degree.

LSE maths is not in the top 10 consistently lol. You cannot deny that UCL and Warwick, along with a lot of the semi targets like Bristol and Nottingham, have better maths departments. The only reason you're saying this is because you applied to LSE

Exotic derivatives trading does not require a good "mathematical" degree. What is say number theory gonna do for you?

There are plenty of financial mathematics modules available at LSE...there is even an entire MSc in it and there is the option to take a MSc unit in the BSc if you have the grades and arrange it.
Reply 48
I notice a theme of 'I think' here. You don't seem to know any bankers or finance folk do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know UK bankers but not any american ones so i work with what i got. It only takes intuition to understand it. Will adopting your self righteous tone strengthen my point?
Original post by inhuman
Exotic derivatives trading does not require a good "mathematical" degree. What is say number theory gonna do for you?

There are plenty of financial mathematics modules available at LSE...there is even an entire MSc in it and there is the option to take a MSc unit in the BSc if you have the grades and arrange it.

Afaik exotic derivatives trading is very mathematical and you kinda need a very good mathematical grounding to do it. It seems that a lot of exotics traders at London banks are French as well.
Original post by foozy
. It's research is pretty solid and Competitiveness, well you must be joking. It all comes down to perception and UCL is ultimately perceived to be up there.
Yes, ive acknowledged that in the UK its quite similar in stats. That being said, internationally i'd rather have the brand of UCL to back me up than Warwick. UCL does fare with ivy league. You're assuming an american employer is going to see UCL as being equal to Warwick but that simply just isnt the case. Whilst the national rep (including bs performance measures like satisfaction) makes it out to be equal, internationally it simply isnt.
Warwick takes in like a 1000 students for its A&F course

1. Lol. UCL when compared to most of the top 20 private universities and LACs in the US is nowhere near as competitive to get into

2. US finance employers are the same ones here. They obviously know their EMEA target schools and they will not be 'surprised' by Warwick or UCL on a CV. You forget that plenty of top grads start work in the UK then transfer overseas within the same employer. I have direct contacts working in CS, Barc and GS NY that hire front office folk, they've confirmed that they treat any grad from their EMEA list of schools the same regardless of geography.

Outside of finance, most employers in the US will not have heard of UCL nor would they have heard of Warwick - the % likelihood of someone knowing either of these institutions and not knowing the other is miniscule.

3. Oh, I like to come up with large numbers to prove points too! Source?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by foozy
I know UK bankers but not any american ones so i work with what i got. It only takes intuition to understand it. Will adopting your self righteous tone strengthen my point?

It takes extrapolating bullcrap rankings and coming to conclusions that are false.
Reply 52
Original post by Trapz99
Afaik exotic derivatives trading is very mathematical and you kinda need a very good mathematical grounding to do it. It seems that a lot of exotics traders at London banks are French as well.

Financial mathematics is "very mathematical".

Sorry but what do you actually know? Have you even started university yet?
Reply 53
Original post by foozy

Rather ironic.

Why are you not open to the fact that Warwick is just as well known as UCL?
Reply 54
Original post by inhuman
Rather ironic.

Why are you not open to the fact that Warwick is just as well known as UCL?

I dont recall saying this. I know they're both known since they're both targets. But my point is UCL ranks much higher, up there with Ivy league.
Reply 55
It takes extrapolating bullcrap rankings and coming to conclusions that are false.

Considering most rankings show this trend i think it would be naive to dismiss them. then again, outside of the maths and econ department Warwick isnt as great (perhaps something like compsci, physics but not much else)
Original post by foozy
1. Well yeah USA will naturally have a higher demand due to, as i keep saying, rep. Even if UCL is better than something like Cornell.
2. Yes, well as i keep saying i acknowledge that if you stay here then its equal. funnily enough Warwick had more IBers i think last year but im not sure. That said, UCLs rep is still greater internationally, say if i was to move abroad. Its still competitive getting the job here you know. EMEA is just a fancy way of saying all target schools excluding America. And yes, i know Warwick is a target. But considering that Warwick came an elite only a couple of years ago, its rep still isnt established. Its like KCL i guess.

3. My bad, it was 799. http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/accounting-and-finance-bsc-hons/university-of-warwick/cd/54952038/3771/

Well im sure they would have heard UCL but ok

1. Cornell is better, sorry.
2. What? I said I confirmed how hiring managers at Goldman, Credit Suisse and Barclays NY (edit: NEW YORK just in case you can't be bothered reading, again) (all in FO divisions) see Warwick and UCL. They have said that their EMEA schools (i.e. (since I have to spell it out for you and you can't read) the target unis for their Europe, Middle East and Africa headquarters in London) are all treated the same. I'm not talking about the UK here, at all. I'm saying the same employers that hire grads here are based in other locations and the grads from UK universities here transfer to said other locations, hence why hiring managers would be aware of these universities

3. You're such a dunce, that 799 number is for offers handed out. The actual number starting at Warwick is orders of magnitude lower

4. For the love of christ, 'i'm sure they would' does not mean they would. You sound about 5 years old with these assumptions

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by foozy
Considering most rankings show this trend i think it would be naive to dismiss them. then again, outside of the maths and econ department Warwick isnt as great (perhaps something like compsci, physics but not much else)

Whatever. I'm wasting my time arguing with someone who has a league table fetish and isn't aware of the real world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do these discussions always become so hostile?

It's very disappointing to see a member of the "TSR Support Team" using petty insults in an otherwise civilised conversation.

Some people need to stop taking things so personally, it seems.
Reply 59
Original post by foozy
I dont recall saying this. I know they're both known since they're both targets. But my point is UCL ranks much higher, up there with Ivy league.

Your point is that you don't have a clue and probably haven't even started uni yet have you?

Quick Reply

Latest