The Student Room Group

CCEA GCSE exams 2016 *official only CCEA thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemnerd4life
No haha, I just used common sense

Lmao, true haha! The probability about the school play; did you get 39 people?
Original post by Okdmd46
Lmao, true haha! The probability about the school play; did you get 39 people?

Yes! 21 + 18
Yes! 21 + 18

How did u find the area of an octagon? I had to leave it out ( was too short for time too)
I got y=x^2 - 11

Sorry to butt in but x squared - 11 is a curve and the question said "line" so I multiplied by 2 to get rid of the x squareds and leave x +1 really not sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Okdmd46
How did u find the area of an octagon? I had to leave it out ( was too short for time too)

Square the length ratio to get the area ratio then work from there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Philipstothers
Square the length ratio to get the area ratio then work from there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ew
Original post by Okdmd46

I messed it up ( used the wrong numbers but had the right method) you had to use the area ratio
Sorry to butt in but x squared - 11 is a curve and the question said "line" so I multiplied by 2 to get rid of the x squareds and leave x +1 really not sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you not have to square root to get rid of something squared?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464876603.129312.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1464876610.954822.jpg

In your graph he would have to have a very big scale to solve for intersections that's why I believe x+1 is the answer but only worth 2 marks anyway lol :smile:👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you not have to square root to get rid of something squared?

Sorry I meant it was 2x squared on one side and just x squared on the other side so I multipled that by two

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464876603.129312.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1464876610.954822.jpg

In your graph he would have to have a very big scale to solve for intersections that's why I believe x+1 is the answer but only worth 2 marks anyway lol :smile:👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464876924.013682.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1464876933.970420.jpg

Better quality hopefully 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did yous get 8x10^-6 for standard form I think I messed it up lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did yous get 8x10^-6 for standard form I think I messed it up lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I got, it was 0.8x10^-5 but you had to change it to standard form
That's what I got, it was 0.8x10^-5 but you had to change it to standard form

Indeed thanks
How do you think ccea will view the t4 and t6 papers I personally found both easier than some past papers but t4 seems to be viewed as hard by people I know
How do you think ccea will view the t4 and t6 papers I personally found both easier than some past papers but t4 seems to be viewed as hard by people I know

I, and most people I know found the t4 harder than previous years but the t6 was quite easy so it balances out I suppose
Reply 417
Original post by jackcoys
T6 went super well I think. Don't want to think about it too much but I was gliding past most of the questions. Makes me feel good but I have a little bit of self doubt about careless mistakes.

Admittedly, the last few questions were confusing. But a few friends who excel in maths were getting the same answers. (Perimeter 75cm, area 8000/9000~ (forget) and the probability 0.2196 (I had 29/132 written down). The last question drove me up the wall. Couldn't figure it out. But I have (contained) high hopes for a pretty decent result now.

English yesterday was okay. I'm pretty good at personal writing but is it just me or there wasn't much language to analyse on the covers? (Enigma from the riddle, rhetorical questions and the odd rule of three) but nothing major? Was pretty stuck there but it went okay.

All the exams I dreaded most are out of the way. German, Business and Bio, Chem, Physics with a Physics unit 1 repeat coming up. So much easier.

Was pretty sure the last question was mathematically impossible considering you had to use Pythagoras to work out l to work out the surface are and it just didn't work! But other than that T6 was fine☺️
I thought the T6 went fine, but a bunch of people on twitter are saying it was horrific (search ccea maths on twitter). I managed to get through the questions, getting 29/132 for the probability one, 39 pupils in the school play and successfully (i hope) getting the last question on the calculator paper. It took a bit of working, though. The only question that stumped me was the one on the non-calculator paper with working out the missing side and the other sides were surds. I knew you had to use pythagoras' theorem, but i didn't think they'd expect us to expand brackets with 27's, 12's and 18's on a non-calculator paper. I was running through solutions in my head for a good 20 minutes, and a minute (I'm not kidding) before the time ended I realised how to do it. I didn't get it all written down, which sucks. Now I have six exams next week to look forward to :---)
Overall, T6 went quite well - I think! Of course there were the almost mandatory stupid mistakes that I seem to make in most papers (in the simplifying surds non-calc I somehow managed failing to correctly add two single digit numbers together and came out with 2/7 instead of 1/4) and naturally there were the harder ones like the last question on the calc paper which apparently (through post exam talk with my friend) I was about 2 minutes away from solving. But yeah, I think it went quite well and I'm hoping that along with my A* in T4, I can get an overall A*, which would really put me in a good mood for Further Maths next year! :biggrin:! Hope it all went well for everyone else!

Quick Reply

Latest