The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

I don't oppose it as long as it doesn't affect me or my personal life. It's people's choice to do whatever they want with their life and this should be held true considering that we live in a liberal democracy.
Original post by The_Opinion
It will be made illegal again in a few years anyway, at least as things stand demographically today.

In what way?
Original post by Mactotaur
In what way?

Gay marriage is mainly supported by the white middle class, which as a % of the population is becoming smaller and smaller. Whilst groups that are mainly against gay marriage are growing very fast.
Gay marriage is mainly supported by the white middle class, which as a % of the population is becoming smaller and smaller. Whilst groups that are mainly against gay marriage are growing very fast.

The strongest support for gay marriage is among 18-34 year olds, while the weakest is among the elderly. That suggests the opposite of your claim.

Moreover, I suspect people will simply cease to care. For example, UKIP was the most prominent party to oppose gay marriage becoming law, but since it was passed they've stated they have no desire to repeal it.
Apparently saying "no" with no reasoning is an easy way of farming reps. The more you know...
Original post by hoping4thebest
There is nothing fanatical about defending traditional marriage.

There's also nothing logical or well rationalised about it.
Original post by Jackrosser97
if you leave 50 gay people on an island with no communication etc. come back in 100 years. BAM their gone. on a side track i don't really support gay marriage but i'm not against it either, i think its pointless tbh. the whole 'equality' thing has gone to far with soooo many things

Well no, assuming you leave both lesbians and gay men on they island solutions would be found. Hell it'll probably be a more sensible and efficient system as no one would get pregnant by accident.

Of course their children would probably end up straight, as your sexuality has no relation to that of your parents.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BefuddledPenguin

Of course their children would probably end up straight, as your sexuality has no relation to that of your parents.

A certain percentage would end up gay or bisexual, but given enough generations the population would come to resemble what we have now.
A certain percentage would end up gay or bisexual, but given enough generations the population would come to resemble what we have now.

Yes that was my point. Parentage doesn't alter one's orientation. The vast majority of lgbt individuals were born to straight parents.
Yes that was my point. Parentage doesn't alter one's orientation. The vast majority of lgbt individuals were born to straight parents.

And the vast majority of lgbt individuals bore straight children. :smile: (I think.)
Original post by XcitingStuart
And the vast majority of lgbt individuals bore straight children. :smile: (I think.)

I'm pretty certain of it that yes. I'm not sure what percentage of people are LGBT though. There will always be a difference in number between those who are lgbt and people who identify as lgbt.

I'm a bisexual man and I've definitely spent more than one romantic evening with men who self identifies as straight.
Original post by anarchism101
The strongest support for gay marriage is among 18-34 year olds, while the weakest is among the elderly. That suggests the opposite of your claim.

Moreover, I suspect people will simply cease to care. For example, UKIP was the most prominent party to oppose gay marriage becoming law, but since it was passed they've stated they have no desire to repeal it.

Why are you bringing age into this?

What I said is true. Even if you bring age into this, the support amongst the young lies with young whites, especially white Anglo-Saxons, Celts, and French etc. Those groups are shrinking mainly as a result of migration.

You cannot deny demographic facts.

Support for gay marriage is very low amongst Muslims, and is also much lower amongst Eastern Europeans, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists and those from the Far East.
I'm pretty certain of it that yes. I'm not sure what percentage of people are LGBT though. There will always be a difference in number between those who are lgbt and people who identify as lgbt.

I'm a bisexual man and I've definitely spent more than one romantic evening with men who self identifies as straight.

This following bit is a bit irrelevant, but yesterday something provoked an interesting thought..

Do you know when people say "his/her sexuality doesn't define him?" Well, it does; sexuality defines a rather large part of yourself.

So instead it should be "They are more than just their sexuality"? perhaps.

(In the context of film & TV.)
Why are you bringing age into this?

What I said is true. Even if you bring age into this, the support amongst the young lies with young whites, especially white Anglo-Saxons, Celts, and French etc. Those groups are shrinking mainly as a result of migration.

You cannot deny demographic facts.

Support for gay marriage is very low amongst Muslims, and is also much lower amongst Eastern Europeans, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists and those from the Far East.

We're not going to deny civil rights just because some people don't like other people having them.
We're not going to deny civil rights just because some people don't like other people having them.

Yes "we" can.

That is what democracy is about, should enough MP's be voted in that have a particular belief any single demographic or group of people can be denied certain rights.
Yes "we" can.

That is what democracy is about, should enough MP's be voted in that have a particular belief any single demographic or group of people can be denied certain rights.

So you believe that because black people only make up 3% of the population, if enough MPs voted to bring back slavery it would be acceptable?
wholeheartedly
Reply 256
I'm bisexual myself - either way I don't think it matters... but a marriage should surely be between a man and a woman :/
I believe that marriage is a sacred union between a Man and a Woman.
So you believe that because black people only make up 3% of the population, if enough MPs voted to bring back slavery it would be acceptable?

*****Loaded question alert*****

I notice how you use the word "acceptable", which is linking what I said to moral issues, when I am talking about legality.

My answer to your question is that if most MP's supported slavery, it would once again become legal.

I also noticed that you somehow link blackness with slavery, a rather racist example.

I also noticed that you somehow link blackness with slavery, a rather racist example.

I've been discussing the 'superhero representation' issue a lot lately, so the 3% statistic is fresh in my mind. Do you deny slavery happened?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending