The Student Room Group

Maths with economics at UCL or MORSE at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Just my 2 cents; the average international student (and their family) will probably know UCL better than Warwick but this is partially to do with its location (London) and the fact that it has a well known medical school. Regarding US recruitment as far as I know the main way for UK students to go to NYC is to start in London and transfer over and in this regard both Warwick and UCL are equal, by being in the UK you can't really participate in the US recruitment process so your chances to apply directly and get a job are equally slim. Whether or not UCL is on par with some of the lower Ivy Leagues is debatable but in terms of prestige Ivy League is synonymous with academic excellence...UCL is not.

OP both are equal in terms of job opportunities, which do YOU prefer?
Original post by inhuman
Your point is that you don't have a clue and probably haven't even started uni yet have you?

That doesn't mean anything. Princepieman hasn't started uni either but he knows way more than all of us here.
Original post by anonwinner
Why do these discussions always become so hostile?

It's very disappointing to see a member of the "TSR Support Team" using petty insults in an otherwise civilised conversation.

Some people need to stop taking things so personally, it seems.

Ty for the indirect babes. xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Trapz99
That doesn't mean anything. Princepieman hasn't started uni either but he knows way more than all of us here.

Yea, but he doesn't argue "muh rankings" :rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by Princepieman
1. Cornell is better, sorry.
2. What? I said I confirmed how hiring managers at Goldman, Credit Suisse and Barclays NY (edit: NEW YORK just in case you can't be bothered reading, again) (all in FO divisions) see Warwick and UCL. They have said that their EMEA schools (i.e. (since I have to spell it out for you and you can't read) the target unis for their Europe, Middle East and Africa headquarters in London) are all treated the same. I'm not talking about the UK here, at all. I'm saying the same employers that hire grads here are based in other locations and the grads from UK universities here transfer to said other locations, hence why hiring managers would be aware of these universities

3. You're such a dunce, that 799 number is for offers handed out. The actual number starting at Warwick is orders of magnitude lower

4. For the love of christ, 'i'm sure they would' does not mean they would. You sound about 5 years old with these assumptions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps lose the attitude and we can have a sensible discussion. as far as im aware they're looking for sociable patient people and you certainly show the arrogance of a keyboard warrior.

UCL ranks higher, sorry. For starters, UCL has a 10% acceptance rate and Cornell has 17% so i can tell your self righteous tone is hiding the load of rubbish you're saying.

And no, i dont have a league table fetish, but when it decisively shows a trend then ill take that into account. What makes you think employers disregard league table? They're not going to look at all EMEA target school grads equally like they dont do in the UK.

if you think employers are gonna have nonchalent approach to the rep of the uni then you're mistaken since this is an incredibly competitive atmosphere. Im sure they are aware, but its not like theres to sets of unis, one is "good" and one is "bad" there's a full spectrum. UCL ranks higher than Warwick internationally and that's a fact. As far as im concerned im going to take what your employers say with a pinch of salt, no solid source or evidence. They're probably just reassuring you for all i know.

My bad, but thats really besides the point.

As i said, it doesnt take much to realise that a better ranked uni can be used as a fair amount of leverage when getting these competitive jobs/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by inhuman
Your point is that you don't have a clue and probably haven't even started uni yet have you?

I have and between warwick and UCL i chose UCL. I think most do really. At least for econ. Warwick students probably got rejected from UCL for econ, no offence.
UCL isn't on the same level as any Ivy (or equivalent) in terms of competitiveness/how hard it is to get in.
Original post by foozy
Perhaps lose the attitude and we can have a sensible discussion. as far as im aware they're looking for sociable patient people and you certainly show the arrogance of a keyboard warrior.

UCL ranks higher, sorry. For starters, UCL has a 10% acceptance rate and Cornell has 17% so i can tell your self righteous tone is hiding the load of rubbish you're saying.

And no, i dont have a league table fetish, but when it decisively shows a trend then ill take that into account. What makes you think employers disregard league table? They're not going to look at all EMEA target school grads equally like they dont do in the UK.

if you think employers are gonna have nonchalent approach to the rep of the uni then you're mistaken since this is an incredibly competitive atmosphere. Im sure they are aware, but its not like theres to sets of unis, one is "good" and one is "bad" there's a full spectrum. UCL ranks higher than Warwick internationally and that's a fact. As far as im concerned im going to take what your employers say with a pinch of salt, no solid source or evidence. They're probably just reassuring you for all i know.

As i said, it doesnt take much to realise that a better ranked uni can be used as a fair amount of leverage when getting these competitive jobs/

No it doesn't. Applicants per place isn't the same as offer rate. Also Cornell's is 14%.
Original post by foozy

UCL ranks higher, sorry. For starters, UCL has a 10% acceptance rate and Cornell has 17% so i can tell you're self righteous tone is hiding the load of rubbish you're saying.

Oooh, I should lose the attitude. How interesting, thanks for your input Mr Sage.

That's UCL's application to seats ratio, not their application to offer ratio which is substantially higher.

I'm not coming from a 'pontificating on the effect of league tables' standpoint, I'm coming from a pretty wide network of people with inside information within the industry. I do not have to 'think' as I've had several conversations with people involved in the process. That's why I'm a mod, I'm trying to get rid of the constant barrage of misinformation that's on this board.

Yeah, I should listen to you and not the people doing the hiring themselves, that's certainly great advice.

It also doesn't take much to understand that the mechanics of graduate hiring do not revolve around rankings. That is false, and misleading information. As far as employers are aware (especially in this space) they hire based on prior intake information and existing 'feelers' into the grad landscape from visiting campuses and conversing with students. The list of universities an employer deems 'strong' do not have anything to do with rankings no matter how much you want to believe otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by foozy

He comes across as arrogant because he is proving your arguments wrong.

UCL ranks higher, sorry. For starters, UCL has a 10% acceptance rate and Cornell has 17% so i can tell you're self righteous tone is hiding the load of rubbish you're saying.

What is your obsession with "rankings"? And what does acceptance rate have to do with anything? MORSE has a really high offer rate, does that make it a **** course? No it means only few people apply in the first place.

Yes, you really do. Every single argument you make is based on rankings...

And employers don't give a crap about league tables. They take the best they can get, the best tends to be at better unis, better unis tend to be higher in rankings. That's it. That doesn't mean because a uni is 10 places below in some table that employers will go "oh well that is a **** uni in comparison".

See above. Vast majority of employers don't give a crap. "Recruiting" is usually done by HR anyway, and they obviously can't do that in equal measure at every uni, given resource constraints, so it's natural that they market at ones they perceive to have more good students. But that doesn't mean if you don't go there that you are automatically rejected.

No. It can't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Student403
No it doesn't. Applicants per place isn't the same as offer rate. Also Cornell's is 14%.

It does rank higher consistently in most tables. https://versus.com/en/university-college-london
Original post by foozy
It does rank higher consistently in most tables. https://versus.com/en/university-college-london

Wasn't referring to the ranking. Was referring to your figures on rates.
Original post by foozy

I thought you said you didn't have a ranking fetish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Oooh, I should lose the attitude. How interesting, thanks for your input Mr Sage.

That's UCL's application to seats ratio, not their application to offer ratio which is substantially higher.

I'm not coming from a 'pontificating on the effect of league tables' standpoint, I'm coming from a pretty wide network of people with inside information within the industry. I do not have to 'think' as I've had several conversations with people involved in the process. That's why I'm a mod, I'm trying to get rid of the constant barrage of misinformation that's on this board.

Yeah, I should listen to you and not the people doing the hiring themselves, that's certainly great advice.

It also doesn't take much to understand that the mechanics of graduate hiring do not revolve around rankings. That is false, and misleading information. As far as employers are aware (especially in this space) they hire based on prior intake information and existing 'feelers' into the grad landscape from visiting campuses and conversing with students. The list of universities an employer deems 'strong' do not have anything to do with rankings no matter how much you want to believe otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your bringing this all in circles now, its pathetic how insecure you are. We could have a constructive argument but you've chosen the immature bitchy route thats pretty standard of a site designed for children. I've made my points clear and you continue to undermine the fact that UCL consistently ranks higher and has a higher rep.
Original post by foozy
Your bringing this all in circles now, its pathetic how insecure you are. We could have a constructive argument but you've chosen the immature bitchy route thats pretty standard of a site designed for children. I've made my points clear and you continue to undermine the fact that UCL consistently ranks higher and has a higher rep.

The smell of defeat is wondrous.

The argument was a non-starter as its premise was off to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Student403
Wasn't referring to the ranking. Was referring to your figures on rates.

I thought you said you didn't have a ranking fetish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mistake guys, im talking about admission rate.

But seriously though, word of advice for Princepieman, the arrogant ones never make it and i hope you're not like this in real life.
Reply 76
Original post by foozy
I have and between warwick and UCL i chose UCL. I think most do really. At least for econ. Warwick students probably got rejected from UCL for econ, no offence.

I got offers from both and put Warwick as my insurance. I went to my firm which was not UCL :wink:

UCL students probably got rejected from LSE for econ, no offence.
Reply 77
The smell of defeat is wondrous.

The argument was a non-starter as its premise was off to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Defeat? You pick and choose what you reply to, targetting some of my weaker points. Hardly call that a defeat, more like your own arrogance and insecurity.
Reply 78
Original post by inhuman
I got offers from both and put Warwick as my insurance. I went to my firm which was not UCL :wink:

UCL students probably got rejected from LSE for econ, no offence.

Yh probably, that and oxbridge, but i never applied to LSE, i wasnt very ambitious and UCL and warwick were my best unis (a decision i still regret)
Reply 79
Original post by foozy

Oh Lord, praise the irony.

If you actually have gone to university, you have kind of missed the growing up part. Hope you are still there so you've got some time left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending