The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4660
Original post by Jimmy Seville

How did Martin not fight to win the world title? He beat Glazkov in 3 rounds, and he's ranked number 9 by the IBF even now, 2 months after he lost.

I really do love how getting chinned by Whyte, to nowhere near the level that Joshua chins his other opponents, somehow means that Haye would straight up knock him out.

I agree with the current ability that Joshua has atm, which is why people like Fury/Wilder should be looking at fighting him within the next 12/18 months to unify the belts, and why Hearn will be reluctant to throw him into those fights before he's ready - he's only had 16 fights ffs - Fury's had 25 and they already being compared. There's only 2 world champions and the other two are Fury and Wilder ffs so obviously he'll be the weaker. I can understand why Haye would want to fight Joshua too, but he doesn't deserve to just walk back-in and challenge him.

Like I said, he wouldn't beat Whyte (12 rounds) or even Bellew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3403244/Charles-Martin-wins-IBF-heavyweight-title-Vyacheslav-Glazkov-suffers-knee-injury.html
His opponent got a knee injury. Strong champion.

Again, which of Joshua's opponent are actually good. Of course chinning **** guys is gonna look good. When Haye does it though, he's a poor fighter. Haye's power can't be discredited, regardless of whether he's not the same fighter, which is why i think he'd knock AJ out.

After a few fights, theres no reason why AJ shouldn't fight him. He won't be fighting the top guys anytime soon with Hearn behind him, so just give Haye the fight so he stops talking.

Ignoring that bit because its pure BS. Bellew is a bum.
Original post by Rk2k14
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-3403244/Charles-Martin-wins-IBF-heavyweight-title-Vyacheslav-Glazkov-suffers-knee-injury.html
His opponent got a knee injury. Strong champion.

Again, which of Joshua's opponent are actually good. Of course chinning **** guys is gonna look good. When Haye does it though, he's a poor fighter. Haye's power can't be discredited, regardless of whether he's not the same fighter, which is why i think he'd knock AJ out.

After a few fights, theres no reason why AJ shouldn't fight him. He won't be fighting the top guys anytime soon with Hearn behind him, so just give Haye the fight so he stops talking.

Ignoring that bit because its pure BS. Bellew is a bum.

You realise the knee injury was inflicted by Martin - who floored him twice in a minute in the third round?

Martin was ranked in the top 6 6 months ago before he fought Joshua, Whyte was ranked 34 when he fought Joshua who was ranked 22. Arnold Gjergjaj is ranked 63. He's had 16 fights and people are expecting Joshua to have fought multiple World level fighters?

My point is that Haye shouldn't be looking at fighting Joshua after Briggs - he literally doesn't deserve it given the other calibre of fighters that are out there. It's funny how people who call someone who's never been beaten (professionally), let alone knocked out chinny. I don't think Haye could live with Joshua's power, and Joshua would have learnt from the Whyte fight about protecting himself against jabs and not getting complacent.

Haye would the most powerful fighter Joshua's faced, but there's absolutely no chance he'd knock AJ out.
no chance he'd knock AJ out.

Pls.

Haye knocked out Chisora in his prime and Chisora has one of the best chins in the business guy can take mad punches.

Haye is more than capable of hurting AJ and knocking him out. Also AJs opponents have been absolutely pathetic. When he fights people like Wilder/Haye/Fury who are much tougher opponents then you can talk.
Reply 4663
You realise the knee injury was inflicted by Martin - who floored him twice in a minute in the third round?

Martin was ranked in the top 6 6 months ago before he fought Joshua, Whyte was ranked 34 when he fought Joshua who was ranked 22. Arnold Gjergjaj is ranked 63. He's had 16 fights and people are expecting Joshua to have fought multiple World level fighters?

My point is that Haye shouldn't be looking at fighting Joshua after Briggs - he literally doesn't deserve it given the other calibre of fighters that are out there. It's funny how people who call someone who's never been beaten (professionally), let alone knocked out chinny. I don't think Haye could live with Joshua's power, and Joshua would have learnt from the Whyte fight about protecting himself against jabs and not getting complacent.

Haye would the most powerful fighter Joshua's faced, but there's absolutely no chance he'd knock AJ out.

He fought a pub guy for a paper title. Why are you trying to make it sound as if Charles Martin is a good fighter? Literally no one had heard of him.

Now he's champion you'd expect him to start to make strides in the heavyweight division. Not pick another no one. When Haye comes back after 3yrs out and fights a bum he's criticised.

What calibre? Do you really think Joshua's going to pick these 'high calibre' fighters. Eddie Hearn's behind him ffs. No way is he picking a top fighter for at least a few more years.
Its not so hard to call a fight. Especially a heavyweight one where you've got a beast in Haye. Its funny how you're mentioning power but forgetting Haye's been in with the likes of Wlad. He can certainly take a punch so don't go hyping up AJ once again. Knocking out Zumbano Love might look impressive to the casual eye but knocking out Del Boy and rocking Valuev is something else entirely.

Its also funny how Joshua's suddenly got an iron chin? Please show me the evidence. If Haye can't live with Joshua's power then theres no way in hell Joshua can go 12 rounds with Haye.

Haye beats AJ. Shouldn't the fact that they don't want the fight tell you the story:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by trapking
Pls.

Haye knocked out Chisora in his prime and Chisora has one of the best chins in the business guy can take mad punches.

Haye is more than capable of hurting AJ and knocking him out. Also AJs opponents have been absolutely pathetic. When he fights people like Wilder/Haye/Fury who are much tougher opponents then you can talk.

He's had 16 fights anyone expecting him to have fought elite level opponents is a moron.

Please don't put Haye in the same bracket as two of the best HW's around atm.
Reply 4665
Everyone's an expert when it comes to Anthony Joshua:biggrin:
Original post by Rk2k14
He fought a pub guy for a paper title. Why are you trying to make it sound as if Charles Martin is a good fighter? Literally no one had heard of him.

Now he's champion you'd expect him to start to make strides in the heavyweight division. Not pick another no one. When Haye comes back after 3yrs out and fights a bum he's criticised.

What calibre? Do you really think Joshua's going to pick these 'high calibre' fighters. Eddie Hearn's behind him ffs. No way is he picking a top fighter for at least a few more years.
Its not so hard to call a fight. Especially a heavyweight one where you've got a beast in Haye. Its funny how you're mentioning power but forgetting Haye's been in with the likes of Wlad. He can certainly take a punch so don't go hyping up AJ once again. Knocking out Zumbano Love might look impressive to the casual eye but rocking Valuev is something else entirely.

Its also funny how Joshua's suddenly got an iron chin? Please show me the evidence. If Haye can't live with Joshua's power then theres no way in hell Joshua can go 12 rounds with Haye.

Haye beats AJ. Shouldn't the fact that they don't want the fight tell you the story:biggrin:

You're talking is if we're discussing prime David Haye. He's had a shoulder injury, been out three years and had to take literally no punches in his last two fights, but he'll still be able to overpower someone with the build and size of Anthony Joshua? - he couldn't beat Wlad because his size and reach was so much less - and it would be the same case against Joshua, who's not even in his prime yet.

haha, before the fight all this fairweather boxing 'experts' said Martin was going to beat him because he's a world champion and would be a huge challenge for Joshua *hurr durr Southpaw* - but when Joshua wipes the floor with him he was a bum (despite being ranked top 6-10 at the time). Name me an elite level fighter who had taken on multiple world champions after 16 fights? He's like number 5 on the list of fighters to have won a world title in the least amount of fights.

Show me where I said Joshua had an iron chin? All I said was the argument that he has a glass chin because he got caught by Whyte is ridiculous as he didn't go down when he was (figuratively) on the ropes for half a round.

Joshua v Fury will be happen in the next 18 months (12 probs) if he beats Wlad in the rematch.

Hating Joshua is the new cool thing to do btw
Reply 4667
I agree with Jimmy in all honesty.

Although fighting Haye and beating him would shut people up.
Just ask the real boxing experts of this thread @swirly @Kenan and Kel
Reply 4670
You're talking is if we're discussing prime David Haye. He's had a shoulder injury, been out three years and had to take literally no punches in his last two fights, but he'll still be able to overpower someone with the build and size of Anthony Joshua? - he couldn't beat Wlad because his size and reach was so much less - and it would be the same case against Joshua, who's not even in his prime yet.

haha, before the fight all this fairweather boxing 'experts' said Martin was going to beat him because he's a world champion and would be a huge challenge for Joshua *hurr durr Southpaw* - but when Joshua wipes the floor with him he was a bum (despite being ranked top 6-10 at the time). Name me an elite level fighter who had taken on multiple world champions after 16 fights? He's like number 5 on the list of fighters to have won a world title in the least amount of fights.

Show me where I said Joshua had an iron chin? All I said was the argument that he has a glass chin because he got caught by Whyte is ridiculous as he didn't go down when he was (figuratively) on the ropes for half a round.

Joshua v Fury will be happen in the next 18 months (12 probs) if he beats Wlad in the rematch.

Hating Joshua is the new cool thing to do btw

Firstly, he beat Valuev who was bigger than both fighters mentioned so don't try to use that argument.

Second, Wlad and AJ have completely different styles. Stupid comparison.

Third, i go back to my previous argument about boxing being a business. They needed something to hype up the fight. I'll admit the southpaw thing was the only test, but if anyone actually believed Martin was a good fighter then they're either BS or tapped. Why do you think they took a world title fight in his 16th?:biggrin:

No ones saying he should fight elite level fighters, but when you're the world champion and you pick Breazeale then you're it says it all.

Whyte rocked him and he's a joke of a fighter. Haye might not be the same as before but he's obviously back into the sport because he's fit and strong enough.
Have you seen Haye's build? He's still a tank. Whyte was the only guy who fought back and if he was able to actually hurt AJ, regardless of whether it was for half around then Haye would relish the opportunity to fight him.

I like Joshua. Just don't like people talking about him as if he's the second coming of Jesus.
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Fair enough. Both good uni's tbh, I'd probably go with Manc but depends on which one you prefer as well as course structure and ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

uni's

Leeds/Newcastle >
Original post by Rk2k14
Firstly, he beat Valuev who was bigger than both fighters mentioned so don't try to use that argument.

Second, Wlad and AJ have completely different styles. Stupid comparison.

Third, i go back to my previous argument about boxing being a business. They needed something to hype up the fight. I'll admit the southpaw thing was the only test, but if anyone actually believed Martin was a good fighter then they're either BS or tapped. Why do you think they took a world title fight in his 16th?:biggrin:

No ones saying he should fight elite level fighters, but when you're the world champion and you pick Breazeale then you're it says it all.

Whyte rocked him and he's a joke of a fighter. Haye might not be the same as before but he's obviously back into the sport because he's fit and strong enough.
Have you seen Haye's build? He's still a tank. Whyte was the only guy who fought back and if he was able to actually hurt AJ, regardless of whether it was for half around then Haye would relish the opportunity to fight him.

I like Joshua. Just don't like people talking about him as if he's the second coming of Jesus.

Wlad's build is more comparable to Joshua, and once again you're comparing prime David Haye to post-op, money seeking, 'Strictly doesn't pay enough' David Haye.

Who was there really around for Joshua to fight this summer who's elite level - Fury and Klitscho were fighting, Wilder are Povetkin were going to fight before the failed drugs test and Pulev was fighting Chisora in May. You seem to talk about Joshua 'ducking' fighters as if he's some kind of pussy (ala Haye pulling out of three fights) when Hearn, as much of a smug dick he has, has said that they want to give AJ more fights before they take on the Fury's and Wilders, that's not exactly a secret.

Haye is literally trying to con the general public because he's a household name. I don't have a problem with boxers trying to make themselves money and entertain - but given Haye took him over a million quid for a fight that was absolute farce v Arnold Gjergjaj is a joke.

Heavweight boxing isn't all about your build. Whyte's a fatboy but was still taking punches that were putting big guys before him to sleep. Chisora had man tits and went 12 round with Vitali, if you can train your body to take shots you have a better chance of not being KO'd regardless of your build. Haye's bodybuilder appearance is irrelevant to the discussion because Joshua's is the same.

I never claimed Martin was an incredible world champion, but he was the world Champion at the time, though he completely pussied out in the ring - the 3 champions at the moment are the three strongest for the sport when everything is taken into context (records, fighting style, opponents faced, box office appeal). Think Wlad will retire after the Fury fight.

Joshua will unite the belts.

Quote me.
Reply 4674
Wlad's build is more comparable to Joshua, and once again you're comparing prime David Haye to post-op, money seeking, 'Strictly doesn't pay enough' David Haye.

Who was there really around for Joshua to fight this summer who's elite level - Fury and Klitscho were fighting, Wilder are Povetkin were going to fight before the failed drugs test and Pulev was fighting Chisora in May. You seem to talk about Joshua 'ducking' fighters as if he's some kind of pussy (ala Haye pulling out of three fights) when Hearn, as much of a smug dick he has, has said that they want to give AJ more fights before they take on the Fury's and Wilders, that's not exactly a secret.

Haye is literally trying to con the general public because he's a household name. I don't have a problem with boxers trying to make themselves money and entertain - but given Haye took him over a million quid for a fight that was absolute farce v Arnold Gjergjaj is a joke.

Heavweight boxing isn't all about your build. Whyte's a fatboy but was still taking punches that were putting big guys before him to sleep. Chisora had man tits and went 12 round with Vitali, if you can train your body to take shots you have a better chance of not being KO'd regardless of your build. Haye's bodybuilder appearance is irrelevant to the discussion because Joshua's is the same.

I never claimed Martin was an incredible world champion, but he was the world Champion at the time, though he completely pussied out in the ring - the 3 champions at the moment are the three strongest for the sport when everything is taken into context (records, fighting style, opponents faced, box office appeal). Think Wlad will retire after the Fury fight.

Joshua will unite the belts.

Quote me.

Again, we don't know how good this new Haye will be. Certainly in top shape so we have to see if he still has that speed, or if he's gone for more power now.

You don't have to fight the very best. Just don't fight **** guys no ones heard of.

Agree build is not important, but you can't train your chin. You either have it or you don't. Haye has a solid one and we are still yet so see if AJ has one. Just because Whyte wasn't completely **** doesn't make Aj this top fighter. Still yet to see how good he is.

There's a big difference between fighting a good fighter and fighting a pub guy. No ones expecting AJ to fight Fury in his next fight, but him fighting Breazeale is a joke. He isn't ducking fighters, but he also isn't fighting decent guys.

Are they ****. AJ is pushing top 5 and thats being generous.

I'm hoping he does, but once he goes up against a real champ like Wilder/Fury then people will realise whats what.
Fury, Ortiz and Wlad are top three in the division, probably in that order too. Then you have guys like Wilder, Haye, Joshua, Povetkin and Parker floating below.
Original post by Rk2k14
Again, we don't know how good this new Haye will be. Certainly in top shape so we have to see if he still has that speed, or if he's gone for more power now.

You don't have to fight the very best. Just don't fight **** guys no ones heard of.

Agree build is not important, but you can't train your chin. You either have it or you don't. Haye has a solid one and we are still yet so see if AJ has one. Just because Whyte wasn't completely **** doesn't make Aj this top fighter. Still yet to see how good he is.

There's a big difference between fighting a good fighter and fighting a pub guy. No ones expecting AJ to fight Fury in his next fight, but him fighting Breazeale is a joke. He isn't ducking fighters, but he also isn't fighting decent guys.

Are they ****. AJ is pushing top 5 and thats being generous.

I'm hoping he does, but once he goes up against a real champ like Wilder/Fury then people will realise whats what.

So you have a problem with Joshua fighting Brezeale (15 atm), but not Haye v Gjergjaj (63). Like I said, fighters at this level usually fight on average every 4-6 months typically - there was no one around at the time at the top 10 level who wasn't already booked into fight around May, June, July. Casuals just expect that because they haven't heard of them before they will be shite.

I stated in terms of the whole package (record - AJ undefeated, fighting style - explosive, knocks opponents out, opponents faced - top 7/8 on this but still raw, box office - easily the most marketable guy in the UK atm, arguably in the world given how quick his rise has been).

Man, remember when you used to be a good poster?
Can't see Haye trying to go for a more powerful approach given his injury - he's said in the past he's not the most skillful so think he might try and work on that.
Reply 4678
So you have a problem with Joshua fighting Brezeale (15 atm), but not Haye v Gjergjaj (63). Like I said, fighters at this level usually fight on average every 4-6 months typically - there was no one around at the time at the top 10 level who wasn't already booked into fight around May, June, July. Casuals just expect that because they haven't heard of them before they will be shite.

I stated in terms of the whole package (record - AJ undefeated, fighting style - explosive, knocks opponents out, opponents faced - top 7/8 on this but still raw, box office - easily the most marketable guy in the UK atm, arguably in the world given how quick his rise has been).

Man, remember when you used to be a good poster?

How long was AJ out the game for?
Case closed.

Still a decent poster. Much better than you when it comes to boxing.

Stop writing. Please.
We get it, boxing is ****.

Thoughts on Cook getting to 10,000 runs, and whether he can beat Tendulkar?

Latest