The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths

If I'm struggling but will hopefully get a 'B' in GCSE maths, is it worth me even considering A-Level Maths? I don't want to do it but it sounds like I need it to get into a PPE course at Uni.

I'm in my exam season for GCSE's currently.
Reply 1
Normally people say you should atleast get an A or an A* at GCSE maths to look into A level maths
But never lose hope, i have a friend that was predicted a D/E for GCSE maths
But he worked really hard and got a B at gcse
Now he's doing A level maths and aiming to get an A at AS.
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
This depends - how good is your teacher at the moment? At GCSE, I had a very nice teacher, but we had maybe three lessons in the two years because he always completely ignored us. When it came to exams, I had to learn everything by myself but ended up getting two As (it was a twin GCSE), one of which I retook after getting a B.

I am now doing A-level Maths after joining the course a month late and having learned nothing at GCSE, and my teacher is pushing me to do Further Maths next year (which I will definitely do), and possibly a Maths degree. I usually get about 68/72 on papers, and I'm confident that I'll get an A this year.

Basically, if you think you're not doing very well because you're not being taught very well, DO consider A-level Maths, because it might all turn around.
However, if you have a decent teacher but are still struggling, you can always do your absolute best now, then take Maths as a 5th A-level next year and drop it if you're struggling.

All in all, I'm personally finding A-level maths easier than GCSE, but, again, that's probably because of the teacher thing.

If you're still unsure, maybe speak to your teachers to see if it's worth trying.
Reply 3
Honestly, just get that B and spend your summer working at your algebra. All you need for A Level maths is a strong algebra base and after that it'll becomeuch easier, i promise.
I think.. pick it, study ahead in the summer and see how you find the units, and then drop it/change if needs be.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies. So should I pick it as my fifth A-level or should I pick it as my 4th as I was planning to do. I'll just throw in Eng lit or Government & Politics if it would be better to do it as my fifth.
Reply 6
Original post by -GIA-
Thanks for the replies. So should I pick it as my fifth A-level or should I pick it as my 4th as I was planning to do. I'll just throw in Eng lit or Government & Politics if it would be better to do it as my fifth.

If you're struggling at GCSE, I wouldn't suggest any more than 4 A Levels. You literally need only 3 to get into pretty much any university. 5 will be too much to handle.
Reply 7
Original post by shivtek
If you're struggling at GCSE, I wouldn't suggest any more than 4 A Levels. You literally need only 3 to get into pretty much any university. 5 will be too much to handle.

Good point. So if I get the 'B' I'll pick Eng Lang, Maths, History and Economics. Yeah that seems good.

Ok thanks again everybody, I'm just gonna get back to revising for that B now.
Reply 8
Original post by -GIA-
Good point. So if I get the 'B' I'll pick Eng Lang, Maths, History and Economics. Yeah that seems good.

Ok thanks again everybody, I'm just gonna get back to revising for that B now.

Good luck. If you need any help, PM me! I'm a GCSE maths tutor/mentor at my school.
Reply 9
Original post by shivtek
Good luck. If you need any help, PM me! I'm a GCSE maths tutor/mentor at my school.

Thank you very much!
I'm currently in my AS year doing maths, I've struggled with M1 all year ( combination of stupidity and a bad teacher). I worked really hard for the test and reckon I'm still around the A/B boundary, I'm wanting an A. Does anyone with the experience recommend doing S1 or D1 (self taught) instead of M2 ( which I'm not very keen on doing)?

Quick Reply

Latest