The Student Room Group

The mentality I have noticed.

I'm not generalising in this post as having spoken to my friends, they also feel the same way. I'm sure plenty of people out their also feel the same way. But a few questions if people have no problem answering them...

1) Tinder. Why are a lot of people swiping right and ignoring your messages. Regardless of how original they are, also they give you their number - you play your cards right they just randomly stop talking. Sometimes coming back with the I don't come on here much, or they've been super busy etc

2) Date cancellations 1hr to a day before with the most used excuses you can imagine. I actually just give up after that, as you can only type so much without becoming boring.

3) The I have a boyfriend excuse, why do they use it? Only to see them snogging other guys 5-10 mins later. Different guys!!

4) Your talking to one girl in a group and one of them barges in to you with her ass and they become agressive for no reason. Normally the one you haven't given no attention too. You question why they are acting like little children and they start calling you ugly? Is this how inept our generation are slowly becoming, that they take it very personal?

5) Giving your number out, not drunk and they ignore your message then block you. What's the point in being nice and putting it on?

I'm slowly running out of willpower to talk to girls. It's the same **** everytime.
You're looking at the wrong place perhaps
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not generalising in this post as having spoken to my friends, they also feel the same way. I'm sure plenty of people out their also feel the same way. But a few questions if people have no problem answering them...

1) Tinder. Why are a lot of people swiping right and ignoring your messages. Regardless of how original they are, also they give you their number - you play your cards right they just randomly stop talking. Sometimes coming back with the I don't come on here much, or they've been super busy etc

2) Date cancellations 1hr to a day before with the most used excuses you can imagine. I actually just give up after that, as you can only type so much without becoming boring.

3) The I have a boyfriend excuse, why do they use it? Only to see them snogging other guys 5-10 mins later. Different guys!!

4) Your talking to one girl in a group and one of them barges in to you with her ass and they become agressive for no reason. Normally the one you haven't given no attention too. You question why they are acting like little children and they start calling you ugly? Is this how inept our generation are slowly becoming, that they take it very personal?

5) Giving your number out, not drunk and they ignore your message then block you. What's the point in being nice and putting it on?

I'm slowly running out of willpower to talk to girls. It's the same **** everytime.

It's kinda sad that's happening to you mate. Girls can be such a pain sometimes.

4) Your talking to one girl in a group and one of them barges in to you with her ass and they become agressive for no reason. Normally the one you haven't given no attention too. You question why they are
acting like little children and they start calling you ugly? Is this how inept our
generation are slowly becoming, that they take it very personal?

5) Giving your number out, not drunk and
they ignore your message then block you. What's the point in being nice and putting it on?

I think that u should choose someone who likes u for who u are and does not do the things as shown above, i mean i am sure there must be atleast one girl u trust and can talk to :smile:
The Tinder one is simple; it's a dying trend. Yeah it exploded in popularity a couple of years back but now that the appeal has died out everyone has started to lose interest and have stopped using it. I used it for around 3 weeks and it did work for my purposes though, I went on 4 dates (including 2 I really enjoyed) but ultimately find it much more exciting meeting people in person, I get bored of having to exchange generic conversational messages with tinder matches and generally don't like talking to people over text.
Timing is also a factor as well because I'm only interested in seriously dating girls that go to the same uni as me, and at the time I was using it most people were on easter holiday and since matches are determined by geographic location that reduced the pool somewhat I guess.

Either way I suggest to putting more effort into meeting and interacting with girls in real life. Everyone has a different persona online and if you're looking for something serious it's a lot better to interact with people in person. You'll have a hard time over the summer break because most people are planning their holidays or spending time with friends and there's going to be less people interested in meeting up with random strangers
It honestly just sounds like you've been pretty unlucky with women thus far. It even harder knowing how to play your cards when loads of girls probably accidentally catch your eye once too many times and you think its a sign to approach.

To be completely honest, it takes a lot of wrongs to find a right so don't give up just yet. There are plenty of girls who play hard to get, but if a girl genuinely likes you she'll make it clear sooner or later.

Also, in regards to you texting the girl. Do you text her immediately after she gives you her number? If so, don't. Maybe wait for a few days or even a week before you start the conversation, so you don't look too eager.
Reply 6
Original post by shawn_o1
You're looking at the wrong place perhaps

Where is the right place though?

Original post by Mrs.Grey
It's kinda sad that's happening to you mate. Girls can be such a pain sometimes.

It's funny though, because they go for these bad looking guys. Get hurt and wonder why? They all say guys are this, guys are that.

Original post by x-bhakti-patel
I think that u should choose someone who likes u for who u are and does not do the things as shown above, i mean i am sure there must be atleast one girl u trust and can talk to :smile:

That's the best thing really, but I don't think it's easy. Maybe it's where I live, it has a high rate of finding it very hard to meet someone 'real'. More specifically 'our generation' but then how do you move forward with someone, when all they do is ignore you?

Original post by insert-username
The Tinder one is simple; it's a dying trend. Yeah it exploded in popularity a couple of years back but now that the appeal has died out everyone has started to lose interest and have stopped using it. I used it for around 3 weeks and it did work for my purposes though, I went on 4 dates (including 2 I really enjoyed) but ultimately find it much more exciting meeting people in person, I get bored of having to exchange generic conversational messages with tinder matches and generally don't like talking to people over text.
Timing is also a factor as well because I'm only interested in seriously dating girls that go to the same uni as me, and at the time I was using it most people were on easter holiday and since matches are determined by geographic location that reduced the pool somewhat I guess.

Either way I suggest to putting more effort into meeting and interacting with girls in real life. Everyone has a different persona online and if you're looking for something serious it's a lot better to interact with people in person. You'll have a hard time over the summer break because most people are planning their holidays or spending time with friends and there's going to be less people interested in meeting up with random strangers

That's good feedback to be fair. Your right, I guess that sometimes it's best to meet people face to face. But this is probably and most likely through work right? Bars and clubs aren't the place to go, although the former if your lucky can be done? The later is asking for a hook up, if you are lucky. I tend to meet mostly students, whilst most of them are alright some of them are just rude and obnoxious and have this grudge against the world as if humanity owes them something. Stress of exams maybe?

Original post by thecatwithnohat
It honestly just sounds like you've been pretty unlucky with women thus far. It even harder knowing how to play your cards when loads of girls probably accidentally catch your eye once too many times and you think its a sign to approach.

To be completely honest, it takes a lot of wrongs to find a right so don't give up just yet. There are plenty of girls who play hard to get, but if a girl genuinely likes you she'll make it clear sooner or later.

Also, in regards to you texting the girl. Do you text her immediately after she gives you her number? If so, don't. Maybe wait for a few days or even a week before you start the conversation, so you don't look too eager.

Very very unlucky. It's very hard to play my cards right, because I don't assume - I just confidently go in and talk - but I would prefer if some of them would tell me they are not particularly interested rather than playing it on. It's not nice at all. I've gone through a lot of wrongs then, where's Miss right?

I've heard that the few days or the 3 day rule doesn't actually work well anymore? It's hard to play those cards now. Girls are so sure about themselves now, they are really hard to get.
That's good feedback to be fair. Your right, I guess that sometimes it's best to meet people face to face. But this is probably and most likely through work right? Bars and clubs aren't the place to go, although the former if your lucky can be done? The later is asking for a hook up, if you are lucky. I tend to meet mostly students, whilst most of them are alright some of them are just rude and obnoxious and have this grudge against the world as if humanity owes them something. Stress of exams maybe?

Yup bars and clubs definitely aren't the place to get to know people. Nothing beats connecting with people in person, online dating isn't for everyone and i think the whole thing is farce anyway. Seriously its not even 100% accurate in terms of being able to judge a person's looks, because there are plenty of people who look so good in person but might look bad in photos and vice versa. Often you'll find that there might be someone you'll see online and wont even think to give the time of the day for but if you met that same person in real life and got to connect with them in a dynamic way you'd be very attracted to them!

I'v met quite a lot of people just joining a variety of societies and going to events. Also being active on fb groups and pages for uni societies can help too; I went to an event at my medical school about two months ago and had at least three random people come up to me already knowing my name like "Hey! Its you (insert name) i recognise you from the fb group" etc. I also met a few people from music gigs, open mic stuff.

I suggest you just focus on making more friends in general, male and female, expand your social life and it will be much easier to meet girls in general.
Stop using those shitty sites/apps then
Reply 9

You're doing it all wrong.

Stop overthinking.

Stop thinking at all.

Stop trying.

FFS you're coming across as a little kid who can't reach the cookies.

Be natural, go to places that aren't full of gobshites, and take it as it comes.

It's funny though, because they go for these bad looking guys. Get hurt and wonder why? They all say guys are this, guys are that.

I know man sometimes I wonder if some girls actually think tbh. It's mainly because they're attractive because usually being "bad" can be attractive and most likely paired with the rugged but neat look, if you understand what I mean.
Reply 11
The only time iv given my number out when i diddnt want to was when i felt pressured by this guy and i felt i couldt say no to him make sure your not coming across demanding or lookig all sad or too worried either of these could make a girl feel like she cant say no to you

Also the boyfriend thing many guys dont give up trying to sleep with you if you dont wat them often the only excuse some guys will take is i have a boyfriend or imma lesbian
(edited 7 years ago)
Sadder thing's going on in the world than this.... #sorrynotsorry

That's the best thing really, but I don't think it's easy. Maybe it's where I live, it has a high rate of finding it very hard to meet someone 'real'. More specifically 'our generation' but then how do you move forward with someone, when all they do is ignore you?

Is there someone in ur life who is really close to u, and who supports u every step of the way like a friend who is a girl?

Or even you could try to wait, i am sure that one day someone will definitely come and u will feel happy with them.

Not many women are serious about finding a guy these days, they can get careers so they don't have to. They are basically shopping around and going for the more gregarious guys or ones with loads of money. You are probably getting some interest but are towards the bottom of the pile because you're not the centre of the party, geekyness coming across i.e. build, etc. Don't worry about it, fewer & fewer people are having relationships these days because of it so your far from being alone on this. A half decent looking girl with even an once of social skills has all the power - she knows she can shop around without commitments and does. Pretty girls are often real slappers as its fun & exciting for them living the high life being loved upon by loads of guys, I don't blame them, if I were in their place I would do the same.

What about the quiet, boring studious girl that lives out in the library has little social skills, not very attractive and often expects a guy to wait an eon before any physical affection and if he makes a move he's in the wrong and should 'wait'. No fun for a guy and these girls get routinely passed over. Would you go for them, somewhat similar but in reverse.
Young girls now-a-days can't think straight when it comes to dating. They'll date people who treat them badly or are clearly not a fit for them, pay attention to the wrong people etc.
Men do it too. We're all guilty of it to some degree.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're to find love then it'll come in good time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending