The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AqsaMx
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79734-question-paper-unit-f325-equilibria-energetics-and-elements.pdf

Can anyone explain question 3 (e) (ii)

I get that Cl- is in a 1:2 ratio with the complex but I don't understand how this shows there's only 1 Cl- in the complex??
Can anyone explains this please?

Do you remember you asking a similar problem that involved chloride ions and silver? It's the same principle.

Silver chloride has the formula AgCl so an ionic equation will be
Ag+ + Cl- > AgCl

Working out the ratio like you've done gives 1:2 but you know that the reaction is 1:1 for the silver ppt so 2Cl- needs to be present outside of the complex. With complex ions, a ligand is unlikely to be involved with a precipitation reaction so you know that the 2Cl- isn't connected by coordinate bonds (as a ligand) and must be outside of the complex.

Hence, the only complex to have 2Cl- outside is B.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cr7alwayz
Thanks, I think I understand what you mean. I've never seen a buffer question like that one before, need more practice with ones like that

This question came up whilst I was revising, and I thought you might find it helpful as it's similar to the one I helped you with:

Buffer.jpg
From my latest mock :cookie:

Ignore the scribbles (they're wrong anyway)

IMG-20160602-WA0002.jpg

Answers:

A = CrCl3.6H2O
B = CrCl3
D = [Cr(H2O)6]3+

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
From my latest mock :cookie:

Ignore the scribbles (they're wrong anyway)

IMG-20160602-WA0002.jpg

Shouldn't it be chromium? The solid CrCl3

6 moles of water of crystallization so
CrCl3.6H2O?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pineneedles
This question came up whilst I was revising, and I thought you might find it helpful as it's similar to the one I helped you with:

Buffer.jpg

what paper is that?
Original post by thad33
Shouldn't it be chromium? The solid CrCl3

6 moles of water of crystallization so
CrCl3.6H2O?

:five:
:five:

Ah you already knew the answer?

What is the white ppt btw? Is it some sort of silver hydroxide?

Wait, it's obviously just AgCl
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thad33
Ah you already knew the answer?

What is the white ppt btw? Is it some sort of silver hydroxide?

AgCl

It was a way of working out the compounds lol
AgCl

They seem to love asking questions about the Chromium (III) Chloride complex ion
Original post by thad33
what paper is that?

That's an AQA one, January '13
Reply 490
Could someone please help me with question 3b part i on the june 2013 F325 paper (the one with the greater/smaller/same table) I don't understand it at all
Reply 491
Reply 492
AgCl

What is C?
Reply 493
Original post by thad33
Do you remember you asking a similar problem that involved chloride ions and silver? It's the same principle.

Silver chloride has the formula AgCl so an ionic equation will be
Ag+ + Cl- > AgCl

Working out the ratio like you've done gives 1:2 but you know that the reaction is 1:1 for the silver ppt so 2Cl- needs to be present outside of the complex. With complex ions, a ligand is unlikely to be involved with a precipitation reaction so you know that the 2Cl- isn't connected by coordinate bonds (as a ligand) and must be outside of the complex.

Hence, the only complex to have 2Cl- outside is B.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by AqsaMx
What is C?

AgCl

It was given as a hint to help us work out the anion in the compound. Now, from AS, we know that Cl- reacts with Ag+ (in AgNO3) to form a white precipitate right?

So that's what we'd use to work out the formula of the compound
Reply 495
Original post by pineneedles

Buffer.jpg

You know for the second question, I understand why the HCOONa decreases by 5x10-4 but why does the acid increases by 5x10-4
Reply 496
AgCl

It was given as a hint to help us work out the anion in the compound. Now, from AS, we know that Cl- reacts with Ag+ (in AgNO3) to form a white precipitate right?

So that's what we'd use to work out the formula of the compound

Sorry, I meant what is D?
I really hate those buffer questions.
Original post by AqsaMx
Sorry, I meant what is D?

[Cr(H2O)6]3+

:-)

I think a general rule of thumb is that a metal ion in water has 6 water ligands

Sorry that was a 3+
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AqsaMx
You know for the second question, I understand why the HCOONa decreases by 5x10-4 but why does the acid increases by 5x10-4

This reaction is happening:

HCOO- + H+ > HCOOH
When the salt reacts with H+, more acid is produced
Hence when the moles of salt decreases by 5x10^-4, the moles of acid increases by the same amount :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending