The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When doing evaluations regarding methodology for instance, when evaluating a study that links with a biological/psychological/evolutionary explanation of something, what's the best way to link it back to the initial explanation?

For example, if an individual conducted a longitudinal study when researching the biological approach to aggression, and you wished to say that it paints a more representative picture of the effects of cortisol on aggressive behaviours, creating a more realistic view, how do you link this back to suit the original theory?

I've read on some examiners reports that you don't get marks for your evaluations if the don't link back to the original theory, so i'm very confused because in most methodological evaluations, you're simply evaluating research into the theory/explanation, rather than the theory/explanation itself?
Original post by k.bryan4
When doing evaluations regarding methodology for instance, when evaluating a study that links with a biological/psychological/evolutionary explanation of something, what's the best way to link it back to the initial explanation?

For example, if an individual conducted a longitudinal study when researching the biological approach to aggression, and you wished to say that it paints a more representative picture of the effects of cortisol on aggressive behaviours, creating a more realistic view, how do you link this back to suit the original theory?

I've read on some examiners reports that you don't get marks for your evaluations if the don't link back to the original theory, so i'm very confused because in most methodological evaluations, you're simply evaluating research into the theory/explanation, rather than the theory/explanation itself?

I don't do aggression, but ultimately something like:

The longitudinal nature of _______ study increases the reliability of findings, as the behaviours observed (sorry I'm guessing) are likely to be representative of everyday life in children. This therefore increases our confidence in the validity of the _______ approach, as studies used to support it are genuine (or provide reliable findings).

Hope that helps!
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
If anyone has good notes on research methods I could really appreciate it! I could send you any of my notes and essays for gender, aggression, eating behaviour, schizophrenia and media! Thank you!

Pm me your email if you want research methods notes
Original post by Annettee
I don't do aggression, but ultimately something like:

The longitudinal nature of _______ study increases the reliability of findings, as the behaviours observed (sorry I'm guessing) are likely to be representative of everyday life in children. This therefore increases our confidence in the validity of the _______ approach, as studies used to support it are genuine (or provide reliable findings).

Hope that helps!

Thank you!!
How do you turn a piece of research into either ao1 or ao2?

How much IDA do you actualy have to put in to get high marks?
Original post by zoex101
How do you turn a piece of research into either ao1 or ao2?

How much IDA do you actualy have to put in to get high marks?

make it clear at start, if its A02 then use PEE paragraphs, and start with clear intention that its A02 e.g. One piece of supporting evidence comes from... One disadvantage of this is....

I am not too sure about IDA, I think its two but dont take my word for it im sure it cant be more than 3
Original post by PhoenixBlaze123
with like collectivist having arranged marriages and such you can just word it like this, go into more detail though.
AO2
Goodwin et al findings challenge this as they found that only 8% of Hindu Gujarati couples living in Leicester had completely 'arranged marriages'. 73% of these couples were introduced by third parties and had considerable choice about when they wanted to get married
-> This highlights the importance of cultural differences that researches need to consider

I think thats the only thing i can do, and just focus on the arrange marriage aspect vs love marriage and it should get credited for A02
Wheres everyone at in terms of revision? Ive finished one section and have done bits for other two but still need to memorize another 15 essays in 5 days. Anyone else need to do more?
Original post by Hihihi123
I thought you don't use ida in psya4?

You dont have to but its kind of harder to get top marks since you get marks for ida if included, otherwise you need to make sure your eval is sound and really good, but since you already learnt it for A03 it shoudlnt be that bad contextualizing it to psay4.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Wheres everyone at in terms of revision? Ive finished one section and have done bits for other two but still need to memorize another 15 essays in 5 days. Anyone else need to do more?

I've got 15 also and it doesn't help that I can't seem concentrate! I haven't learnt any more essays today or yesterday and I feel like I've forgotten the ones I've already learnt!
I've got 15 also and it doesn't help that I can't seem concentrate! I haven't learnt any more essays today or yesterday and I feel like I've forgotten the ones I've already learnt!

Hahah same, i always say im going to learn 5 today and end up scraping 2... It takes me an hour or so to full learn then 30 mins to do timed essay. But i procrastinate so much and it feels like time goes so quickly when trying to learn an essay,,,,

At least psay4 is shorter and only has two sections where need to memorize names... Im fairly strong on research methods and brushing up on past papers and MS to find out the correct answers it should be fine hopefully.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Hahah same, i always say im going to learn 5 today and end up scraping 2... It takes me an hour or so to full learn then 30 mins to do timed essay. But i procrastinate so much and it feels like time goes so quickly when trying to learn an essay,,,,

At least psay4 is shorter and only has two sections where need to memorize names... Im fairly strong on research methods and brushing up on past papers and MS to find out the correct answers it should be fine hopefully.

I just get so bored learning the essays really, it's just
Not interesting
I'm going to try and learn them quickly or I won't really have time to consolidate for the exam!
I'm on Bio rythms now, i'll be finished tomorrow, then starting Eating behaviour..

Not worried about the research methods for PSYA4 since its pretty easy, the notes I had last year were really good, just gonna add the Psya4 research methods notes into my old ones to make sure I get that 35/35 :biggrin:
How do you write "effective" IDA???? What IS effective IDA?!?!?! Isn't that subjective? Lacking validity and reliability?!!!
Reply 1514
If Kohlberg comes up for Gender im screwed.. it came up in 2013 and i hate it!!!
Original post by zoex101
How do you write "effective" IDA???? What IS effective IDA?!?!?! Isn't that subjective? Lacking validity and reliability?!!!

Just making sure you follow GRENADE and make sure everything is relevant to the question and contextualized, if youre eval point can fit into another essay its too generic and wont get much if any credit.
Original post by Anam
If Kohlberg comes up for Gender im screwed.. it came up in 2013 and i hate it!!!

Well, I would love it to come up. So one of us will be disappointed
Reply 1517
Original post by TMC113
Well, I would love it to come up. So one of us will be disappointed

Lmao i highly doubt it will come up though...
I could pm you my cultural essay if you want? My teacher said it was a*/ A standard of that helps!

Hey would you be able to pm this to me please? I'm really struggling with that topic :frown:
Original post by toetothunder
Hey would you be able to pm this to me please? I'm really struggling with that topic :frown:

It's for gender for relationships but If you want it sure!!

Latest

Trending

Trending