The Student Room Group

New polymer £5 unveiled.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salamandastron
I think you may have misunderstood :redface: I want them to degrade hence the ideal usage of biopol however I doubt the government would mix cornstarch with the polymer just because it would probably complicate suppliers for such a large printing process. So it is good if they degrade after their useage however they won't if they are made solely from crude oil.
And hopefully the Queen won't live that long but that is a totally different issue
:getmecoat:

:lol: that product design A level finally being useful for something :redface:

Spoiler

I'm not disputing you. I was only thinking "Well they might want it to last" but then I thought "The queen is freaking 90!"
Original post by The_Internet
I'm not disputing you. I was only thinking "Well they might want it to last" but then I thought "The queen is freaking 90!"

oh no dw it is fine :lol:

Spoiler

Ahhh ok that makes sense :yes:
and yes hopefully she might snuff it soon :getmecoat:
A step backwards I think. When you are caught short and have no toilet paper at hand do you really want to wipe with a bit of plastic? The current notes do the trick just fine.
dontcare
Reply 24
Hmm surely we should be trying to use less polymer though? what are they going to do with them all after 5 years as they aren't going to degrade unless they use biopol..
just a casual observation :redface:

Polymer notes are recyclable.
Original post by Wōden
Polymer notes are recyclable.

True but how many people recycle notes as it is? If they have disintegrated or fallen out of a pocket as paper they will just rot away as the cellulose is broken down. A polymer note wouldn't do that and it would have to be made out of thermoplastic.
Theoretically yes but given how many people don't even recycle LDPE plastic bags i cant see many people doing that tbh.
Just think it is unnecessary to make an environmentally sound product less environmentally friendly for no particular reason when it wont function much better than the old one, can still rip etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
True but how many people recycle notes as it is? If they have disintegrated or fallen out of a pocket as paper they will just rot away as the cellulose is broken down. A polymer note wouldn't do that and it would have to be made out of thermoplastic.
Theoretically yes but given how many people don't even recycle LDPE plastic bags i cant see many people doing that tbh.
Just think it is unnecessary to make an environmentally sound product less environmentally friendly for no particular reason when it wont function much better than the old one, can still rip etc.

People don't. (Have you ever recycled a note?)
Banks do.

And the point is these notes will work substantially better than the notes they're replacing which require destruction every 3 months. These won't need recycled until 5yrs. That's miles better in my book.
Original post by Drewski
Banks do.

And the point is these notes will work substantially better than the notes they're replacing which require destruction every 3 months. These won't need recycled until 5yrs. That's miles better in my book.

yes i mean going to give them in for recycling.
Well as long as they actually recycle them and it isnt a case of having loads of plastic littered about then yes that is better :smile:
Love the colour and the jizz of someones hands will still be wet by the time it finds its way into my hands. Great
Original post by similarBlank
Bring back the £50!

£50s are still about.
looks fancy. Think the Australians have had these for a while. I guess when the queen passes away, we'll have to change it all over again too

Can't wait to see Prince Charles' mug on my notes :rolleyes:
Original post by similarBlank
Bring back the £50!

they still have them i use them a HELL of a lot i use £20 for most of my business but £50 come out when more than a couple of k is in play
Original post by Drunk Punx
£50s are still about.

Yeah, but I heard they're not going to do anymore.

Original post by jamesthehustler
they still have them i use them a HELL of a lot i use £20 for most of my business but £50 come out when more than a couple of k is in play

Show off! :colondollar:

Bank notes don't suddenly stop being valid currency because the monarch dies.
Was there a problem with fake £5 notes before? Who would bother faking such a small amount?
Original post by Drewski
Banks do.

I didn't know that. That's actually pretty good. Though how would they destroy these every three months? Do they wait until someone goes in to the bank, and the banks look up the serial number, and destroy those older than three months?

Original post by BlueSam3
Bank notes don't suddenly stop being valid currency because the monarch dies.

I'm aware, but they'd go about and print more notes any way, purely because there's a new monarch
Original post by jamesthehustler

I just use card
I just use card

many of my clients prefer cash, a few prefur gold bullion but not many like cards as it add complexity on fast deals being made
I didn't know that. That's actually pretty good. Though how would they destroy these every three months? Do they wait until someone goes in to the bank, and the banks look up the serial number, and destroy those older than three months?

I'm aware, but they'd go about and print more notes any way, purely because there's a new monarch

Nah. Issuance is dictated by high-level macro-economic policy.
Reply 39
Original post by the_internet
try buying something with this:

my creation is worth exactly £0.00. The new £5 note is worth £5

peeing myself lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending