The Student Room Group

Trading platform

Hi,

I am interested in getting some experience in trading but not sure which platform to choose. Wonder if somebody could help me with picking the platform.

I have been pointed towards below 3 but not sure which one to pick

-Trading212
-City Index
-CMC Markets

Many thanks
Original post by Adnikz1
Hi,

I am interested in getting some experience in trading but not sure which platform to choose. Wonder if somebody could help me with picking the platform.

I have been pointed towards below 3 but not sure which one to pick

-Trading212
-City Index
-CMC Markets

Many thanks

I've tried Trading212 and was overall satisfied with it. The spreads and leverage are insane tho lol. My suggestion is that you try any of these out assuming that all of them will do the job (intro into trading).
Edit: For practice accounts! If you want to trade real money, then I would not use Trading212 :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
By Trading212, CMC Markets and City Index, you mean a broker rather than platform.
Having said that, those brokers do have their own web based and mobile platforms. Soz, I'm being pedantic :lol:

I personally recommend going for the "great big, ol' hairy brokers", as my mentor put it. Simply because they're less likely to fail. I'd say the best are FXCM, IG, ETX Capital. CMC and City Index are good too. I don't particularly trust Trading 212, but that's just me.

The best way though is to open practice accounts with all of them and just try them out and see which one has good spread, leverage and how easy they are to use!
Reply 3
Check out Interactive Brokers, they are really stable and financially reliable - currently hold BBB+ rating. I personally use them and I am really satisfied as you can trade many different products (FX, equities, options, futures, CFDs ...) across Americas, Europe and Asia from one platform.
Reply 4
Original post by nucdev
By Trading212, CMC Markets and City Index, you mean a broker rather than platform.
Having said that, those brokers do have their own web based and mobile platforms. Soz, I'm being pedantic :lol:

I personally recommend going for the "great big, ol' hairy brokers", as my mentor put it. Simply because they're less likely to fail. I'd say the best are FXCM, IG, ETX Capital. CMC and City Index are good too. I don't particularly trust Trading 212, but that's just me.

The best way though is to open practice accounts with all of them and just try them out and see which one has good spread, leverage and how easy they are to use!

Which broker do you use? Since I remember you trade.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
I've tried Trading212 and was overall satisfied with it. The spreads and leverage are insane tho lol. My suggestion is that you try any of these out assuming that all of them will do the job (intro into trading).
Edit: For practice accounts! If you want to trade real money, then I would not use Trading212 :wink:

Thanks, ye that were my thoughts as well for practise just to open accounts in all of them and see which one suits me best
Reply 6
Original post by nucdev

Thanks! Will try those as well then :smile:
IQ Option if you are interested in binary trading
Reply 8
Original post by Trapz99
Which broker do you use? Since I remember you trade.

I use 4 :lol:
FXCM, ETX, IG and InterTrader.
Reply 9
I vote in favour of Trading 212. Their web and Android app suit me perfectly. The conditions are fine. There is a negative balance protection, affordable min deposit amount and all transactions I did so far went through, so I can also recommend them for real trading and not only for dummy trading.
Original post by John85
I vote in favour of Trading 212. Their web and Android app suit me perfectly. The conditions are fine. There is a negative balance protection, affordable min deposit amount and all transactions I did so far went through, so I can also recommend them for real trading and not only for dummy trading.

Yeah but their spreads are too large compared to other brokerages. That's why I'm considering switching brokers.
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but their spreads are too large compared to other brokerages. That's why I'm considering switching brokers.

I am very happy with the platform, cause it's so intuitive. To be honest, I find MT4 very confusing. I also tried other proprietary platforms, but wasn't happy with them as well. Slightly tighter spreads wouldn't be enough for me to change the broker.
Reply 12
Original post by John85
I am very happy with the platform, cause it's so intuitive. To be honest, I find MT4 very confusing. I also tried other proprietary platforms, but wasn't happy with them as well. Slightly tighter spreads wouldn't be enough for me to change the broker.

MT4 is ok once you get used to it though and tbh i now prefer it to the web/mobile platforms.

Although part of the reason is that i have an algorithm for MT4 that gives me buy/sell signals. I know the theory and the parameters for the algorithm so if I'm not by my computer i can still trade using those techniques, but MT4 is just so much easier.
Reply 13
Original post by nucdev
MT4 is ok once you get used to it though and tbh i now prefer it to the web/mobile platforms.

Although part of the reason is that i have an algorithm for MT4 that gives me buy/sell signals. I know the theory and the parameters for the algorithm so if I'm not by my computer i can still trade using those techniques, but MT4 is just so much easier.

MT4 design is horrible, compared to Trading 212's platform. Believe me or not, 212's platform gives me a completely different trading experience. A one that really makes me passionate about it and helps me enjoy trading even more. :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest