The Student Room Group

M1 moments on a log question help !!!!!

1464730800638434130295.jpg hi, I really need help with part c as I have managed to construct one equation but I don't get where the other equation comes from .
Attachment not found
. The other equation that I need has to include 1500n from part a. However isn't this a new model though in part c . Please explain this. Thanks.
Reply 1
Where does this first equation come from and how do you know you need to go back to part a to solve this ?Screenshot_2016-05-31-22-46-54.png
Original post by coconut64
Where does this first equation come from and how do you know you need to go back to part a to solve this ?Screenshot_2016-05-31-22-46-54.png

With your second equation you have 2 unknowns w&x so you need to substitute another equation, so you just take moments about point d(tipping),you don't use the equation from a it's no longer being considered a uniform rod.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Middriver
With your second equation you have 2 unknowns w&x so you need to substitute another equation, so you just take moments about point d(tipping),you don't use the equation from a it's no longer being considered a uniform rod.

Hi thanks for helping. I don't know which one is the second equation that you are talking about can you elaborate a little. I only managed to construct one equation using 1000N . Thanks.
Hi thanks for helping. I don't know which one is the second equation that you are talking about can you elaborate a little. I only managed to construct one equation using 1000N . Thanks.

The first equation comes from the original set up used in part a) when taking moments about C.

The equation you derive is different to that of part a) because the assumptions are different, but the set up is still valid. The log starts to tilt about C when a force of 1500N is applied as described. So take moments about C and you get the given equation. If you can't see it, draw a diagram, and have a go and see what you can do, then we should be able to see more clearly what issue you're having.
Reply 5
Original post by ghostwalker
The first equation comes from the original set up used in part a) when taking moments about C.

The equation you derive is different to that of part a) because the assumptions are different, but the set up is still valid. The log starts to tilt about C when a force of 1500N is applied as described. So take moments about C and you get the given equation. If you can't see it, draw a diagram, and have a go and see what you can do, then we should be able to see more clearly what issue you're having.

Hi, I get that equation 1 is from part a but in part c we are told that the log is now non uniform . However the log was uniform in part a. I don't get how the set up is still valid . Is it because it's still the same log? I have uploaded my working. Thanks.
Hi, I get that equation 1 is from part a but in part c we are told that the log is now non uniform . However the log was uniform in part a. I don't get how the set up is still valid . Is it because it's still the same log? I have uploaded my working. Thanks.

It's not the same equation from a, you use the same information, applying a force of 1500 at A, makes it tilt about D, so you take moments about D but change the position where the weight acts(4-X)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
It's not the same equation from a, you use the same information, applying a force of 1500 at A, makes it tilt about D, so you take moments about D but change the position where the weight acts(4-X)

Oh okay but how do you know you need to consider 1500n rather than using 1000n and take moment at a different point ?? Thanks.
Oh okay but how do you know you need to consider 1500n rather than using 1000n and take moment at a different point ?? Thanks.

Because the log tips about d when you apply a force of 1500n at A regardless of where the Mass acts. You don't know where applying 1000n will cause it to tip about d.
Reply 9
Because the log tips about d when you apply a force of 1500n at A regardless of where the Mass acts. You don't know where applying 1000n will cause it to tip about d.

Oh thanks so much. So even though the modelling assumption is different this still works because it's the same log ? Is this what you mean by the same set up?

Quick Reply

Latest