The Student Room Group

Statistic or Mechanics?

Hi guys :smile: I'm about to finish my IGCSEs and I'll be moving into AS level in September. I'm taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. I don't know if I should take Mechanics or Statistics, because I've heard people say that you don't have to take mechanics unless you're doing further studies in the physics stream, because you won't need it for bio or chem. I doubt I'll be going in the physics stream, although there may be a chance at the end. So will I be able to manage with doing statistics instead of mechanics if I'm not?
Could really use some help here. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Honestly I'd take mechanics. Mechanics is a lot easier because it seems based on GCSE physic work, whereas stats is mostly new stuff and a bit awkward to get your head around.
Reply 2
Original post by ConicalFlask
Honestly I'd take mechanics. Mechanics is a lot easier because it seems based on GCSE physic work, whereas stats is mostly new stuff and a bit awkward to get your head around.

Really, cuz I've heard people say that Mechanics is harder than Statistics.
Reply 3
Original post by Droneon
Hi guys :smile: I'm about to finish my IGCSEs and I'll be moving into AS level in September. I'm taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. I don't know if I should take Mechanics or Statistics, because I've heard people say that you don't have to take mechanics unless you're doing further studies in the physics stream, because you won't need it for bio or chem. I doubt I'll be going in the physics stream, although there may be a chance at the end. So will I be able to manage with doing statistics instead of mechanics if I'm not?

Normally people do both S1 and M1 but one of them in year 13. M1 really overlaps with AS/year 12 physics so there is no harm doing it unless you want to drop physics. It would be better to ask your school because some schools give you freedom to choose D1 or S2 instead of M1 if you don't want to do it.

And statistics is not that new, first chapters are about calculating the mean, median, quarters, drawing box plots and histograms and the new stuff only appears from around the middle of the textbook.
Mechanics goes really well with Physics

To be honest S1 is just boring, you'll probably find M1 easier aswell.
Reply 5
I've done both this year & much preferred mechanics lessons compared with statistics. I am however studying physics so my situation is a bit different to yours.

It really comes down to what you think you'll enjoy more in my opinion. If you have a naturally ability in statistics at GCSE level then you'll find stats quite straight forward (at AS level) but it can also be much harder for some people.

If you think there is still a chance that you'll follow the physics route then mechanics will benefit you much more. Most universities encourage applicants for physics to take as many mechanics modules as they can at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by CeltyV
Normally people do both S1 and M1 but one of them in year 13. M1 really overlaps with AS/year 12 physics so there is no harm doing it unless you want to drop physics. It would be better to ask your school because some schools give you freedom to choose D1 or S2 instead of M1 if you don't want to do it.

And statistics is not that new, first chapters are about calculating the mean, median, quarters, drawing box plots and histograms and the new stuff only appears from around the middle of the textbook.

My school doesn't teach D1 and I won't be dropping physics cuz it's one of my favourites. So if I take Mechanics, will it be easier to understand physics?
Reply 7
Original post by 98matt
I've done both this year & much preferred mechanics lessons compared with statistics. I am however studying physics so my situation is a bit different to yours.

It really comes down to what you think you'll enjoy more in my opinion. If you have a naturally ability in statistics at GCSE level then you'll find stats quite straight forward (at AS level) but it can also be much harder for some people.

If you think there is still a chance that you'll follow the physics route then mechanics will benefit you much more. Most universities encourage applicants for physics to take as many mechanics modules as they can at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Though I'm not sure what the statistics topics in IGCSEs are?
Reply 8
Original post by Droneon
My school doesn't teach D1 and I won't be dropping physics cuz it's one of my favourites. So if I take Mechanics, will it be easier to understand physics?

Yes, in this case I'd do mechanics if possible :smile: It really helps with physics (well obviously mostly the mechanics part which is one of the four chapters in physics AS/year 12). It overlaps a lot so when you look at physics papers, the questions seem easier because you've done so many of them in maths, if that makes sense.
Reply 9
Original post by CeltyV
Yes, in this case I'd do mechanics if possible :smile: It really helps with physics (well obviously mostly the mechanics part which is one of the four chapters in physics AS/year 12). It overlaps a lot so when you look at physics papers, the questions seem easier because you've done so many of them in maths, if that makes sense.

That's really good to know, cuz I enjoy physics a lot, but then I was a bit afraid cuz some people in my school who have done mechanics say its quite hard.
Reply 10
If anyone is looking for quick Maths help, head over to http://app.bubblemaths.com/ no registration required! It's really good.
Reply 11
Original post by Droneon
That's really good to know, cuz I enjoy physics a lot, but then I was a bit afraid cuz some people in my school who have done mechanics say its quite hard.

Don't listen to what people say because you don't know how much effort they put in. Some people expect to have very good grades without putting in any work and then complain... And also you've got the advantage because you're doing physics so you will be familiar with the content anyway. Just work hard throughout the year and if you don't understand something, solve that problem as soon as possible so it doesn't pile up. And what I'd recommend use examsolutions if you're stuck, it really helped me this year :smile:
Original post by Droneon

I enjoy physics, and I love mechanics. Many of the ideas in physics come up in mechanics, as people have said, such as projectile motion and work/power, so it feels like a head start. It is considered to be harder, but if I found that if you really enjoy it then you won't mind putting the extra effort in to understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Droneon

TSR has an obsession with Mechanics over Statistics, mainly because it's much better for those going down the Maths or Physics route, and those routes are very popular. However, I would say Stats is far more useful for Chemistry and Biology, as while it won't be so applicable in A-level, it will be very useful at university level and beyond, since it's about analysing data correctly (which will be useful in experiments). Mechanics on the other hand is just some maths applied to physics that you will probably never use. Mechanics is also quite difficult for those not into Physics (I found it easier and more interesting than Stats but the majority of my friends did not).
Reply 14
Original post by Droneon

Both. Do M1-S1. You'll need two applied modules anyway. Neither are really very difficult to grasp and you don't need to do physics to do M1.
Reply 15
Original post by CeltyV
Don't listen to what people say because you don't know how much effort they put in. Some people expect to have very good grades without putting in any work and then complain... And also you've got the advantage because you're doing physics so you will be familiar with the content anyway. Just work hard throughout the year and if you don't understand something, solve that problem as soon as possible so it doesn't pile up. And what I'd recommend use examsolutions if you're stuck, it really helped me this year :smile:

That's so helpful, and you're right. Thank you so much!
Reply 16
Original post by TimGB
TSR has an obsession with Mechanics over Statistics, mainly because it's much better for those going down the Maths or Physics route, and those routes are very popular. However, I would say Stats is far more useful for Chemistry and Biology, as while it won't be so applicable in A-level, it will be very useful at university level and beyond, since it's about analysing data correctly (which will be useful in experiments). Mechanics on the other hand is just some maths applied to physics that you will probably never use. Mechanics is also quite difficult for those not into Physics (I found it easier and more interesting than Stats but the majority of my friends did not).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about how Stats could help for chem and bio. Did you take Stats and has it helped in Uni?
As a Y13 FM student, I can testify that Statistics is easier than Mechanics ~ and probably more useful in everything other than Physics/Engineering HE streams.

I've done/am doing M1-3 and S1/2 and I'd say that even S2 is easier than M1 tbh :yep:
Reply 18
Original post by Asuna Yuuki
As a Y13 FM student, I can testify that Statistics is easier than Mechanics ~ and probably more useful in everything other than Physics/Engineering HE streams.

I've done/am doing M1-3 and S1/2 and I'd say that even S2 is easier than M1 tbh :yep:

Thanks. But i'm kind of undecided on which stream to go in...
Original post by Droneon

I'm in year 12 now and I'm doing both modules this year (I'm doing OCR MEI maths). Personally, I find S1 a lot easier, it's problem solving and very formulaic. Saying that, everyone who does Physics in my year finds mechanics really easier, so it's tough :tongue:. I'll assume you want to do Maths at A2, so I'd recommend doing S1 this year as C1 is the same as IGCSE (which I did) and C2 isn't much harder, then doing M1 next year since you'll need more time to focus on C3 and C4, and physics covers a lot of the mechanics module that you'll be sitting so it won't be much extra work. This is based off the assumption you do both modules, if one is better for uni but you don't want to do it they teach it to you there anyway, unless you're doing econ then pile on stats
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest