The Student Room Group

Is the UK suffering from a participation crisis?

Hi all,

I would be grateful if you could add some points to this question. I'm seeking about 6 - 8 well established points. You may use evidence from 1945 - present.

This is a practice question for AS level Government and Politics.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you, and kind regards.
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

I would be grateful if you could add some points to this question. I'm seeking about 6 - 8 well established points. You may use evidence from 1945 - present.

Do you not have books or something which cover this?

I'd have thought asking for answers on an internet forum is really scrapping the barrel.
Reply 2
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

Low turnout at elections which undermines the legitimacy of the results
Turnout at the 2015 General Election was 66.1% only 36.9% voted for the Conservative Party
-Turnout has also been poor in referendums
Only34% of voters participated in the 1998 referendum on creating a London mayor and LondonAssembly
-Membership of political parties is decreasing
In 2015, only 1% of electorate were members of the 3 major parties
1950- labour had over 1 mil members but in 2010 it only had 193,000
1950-conservative had over 3 mil but dropped to 150,000 in 2010

Hope this helped x
Reply 3
Original post by namjoonu
Low turnout at elections which undermines the legitimacy of the results
Turnout at the 2015 General Election was 66.1% only 36.9% voted for the Conservative Party
-Turnout has also been poor in referendums
Only34% of voters participated in the 1998 referendum on creating a London mayor and LondonAssembly
-Membership of political parties is decreasing
In 2015, only 1% of electorate were members of the 3 major parties
1950- labour had over 1 mil members but in 2010 it only had 193,000
1950-conservative had over 3 mil but dropped to 150,000 in 2010

Hope this helped x

I got these from articles my school pays for, let me know if you need the other side and i'll condense them for you xx
Reply 4
Original post by Elivercury
Do you not have books or something which cover this?

I'd have thought asking for answers on an internet forum is really scrapping the barrel.

It was a question posed, for a genuine answer - not for debate on whether I have the correct resources.
Reply 5
I got these from articles my school pays for, let me know if you need the other side and i'll condense them for you xx

They're great! Thank you! If you do have the other side, it would be much appreciated.
Reply 6
Original post by Cal1999
They're great! Thank you! If you do have the other side, it would be much appreciated.

Low turnout has yet to lead to produce an actual ‘crisis’
it has been steadily increasing. Although only 61.4%of the electorate participated in 2005, this increased to 65.1% in 2010, and then 66.1% in 2015.
some referendums have attracted higher turnout, and further referendums have been requested
The Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement referendum in 1998 high turnout (81%) and a decisive victoryfor the ‘yes’ campaign (71%).

2014 Scottish independence referendum hadturnout of 84.5%, reaching 90% in some areas, and even included 16 and 17-year-old voters for the first time, witharound 75% participating. 97% of 16-17 years olds who voted said that they would vote again in future referendums.
memberships of the Labour Party, many third parties, and pressure groups, is growing
Labour’s membership had grown to around 388,407 by 2016, and many more ‘registered supporters’ paid £3 to beable to participate in the 2015 leadership election. The SNP’s membership has grown fromaround 22,000 prior to the 2014 independence referendum, to over 115,000 by 2016
Reply 7
Low turnout has yet to lead to produce an actual ‘crisis’
it has been steadily increasing. Although only 61.4%of the electorate participated in 2005, this increased to 65.1% in 2010, and then 66.1% in 2015.
some referendums have attracted higher turnout, and further referendums have been requested
The Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement referendum in 1998 high turnout (81%) and a decisive victoryfor the ‘yes’ campaign (71%).

2014 Scottish independence referendum hadturnout of 84.5%, reaching 90% in some areas, and even included 16 and 17-year-old voters for the first time, witharound 75% participating. 97% of 16-17 years olds who voted said that they would vote again in future referendums.
memberships of the Labour Party, many third parties, and pressure groups, is growing
Labour’s membership had grown to around 388,407 by 2016, and many more ‘registered supporters’ paid £3 to beable to participate in the 2015 leadership election. The SNP’s membership has grown fromaround 22,000 prior to the 2014 independence referendum, to over 115,000 by 2016

Yeah Corbyn has ignited labour membership to grow
I'd highly reccomend reading the mark scheme and examiners report.

Both give a good insight into the question.
Reply 9
Would you be able to provide the link?
Reply 10
I have a feeling this may be the questions
Original post by xxvine

this will 100% be the question
Original post by xxvine

Not gonna lie, i kind of feel like this is going to be the question. Either that or one on the increased use of referendums.
Original post by Cal1999
Would you be able to provide the link?

The mark scheme and examiners report.
Original post by Lewismioc
Not gonna lie, i kind of feel like this is going to be the question. Either that or one on the increased use of referendums.

I'm praying for one on various means of increasing democracy so I can talk about initiatives, voting age and the lot.
Original post by EricAteYou
I'm praying for one on various means of increasing democracy so I can talk about initiatives, voting age and the lot.

God that would be such a nice question! Is it just me, or is a ten marker on Voting age, compulsory voting or citizenship education horrible??
(edited 7 years ago)
God that would be such a nice question! Is it just me, or is a ten marker on Voting age, compulsory voting or citizenship education horrible??

I love them!
Original post by EricAteYou
I love them!

Wow haha. I think its hard for me because of the lack of examples.
Wow haha. I think its hard for me because of the lack of examples.

True, in some ways I like that. They'll be less strict as you can sometimes pass more hypothetical example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending