The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joodaa
do we need to know how to integrate/differentiate arccosx arcsinx and arctanx?

Not for C4 no. FP3 yes
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464898372.643066.jpg
I just don't understand what's happened on step 2 of 8b

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you ever are stuck with an integral, consider substitutions like u = x+1 for this question, it may not be clear to see the 1-1, and it may be a little longer, but it'll give you the answer.

π03xx+1dx[br]u=x+1[br]du/dx=1leadstodx=du[br]Limitschangedto1and4[br][br]=π14xudu[br]=π14u1udu[br]=π1411udu[br]=π[ulnu]14[br]=π(4ln41+ln1)[br]=π(3ln4)\pi\int_0^3 \frac{x}{x+1} dx[br]u = x+1[br]du/dx = 1 leads to dx = du[br]Limits changed to 1 and 4[br][br]=\pi\int_1^4 \frac{x}{u} du[br]=\pi\int_1^4 \frac{u-1}{u} du[br]=\pi\int_1^4 1 - \frac{1}{u} du[br]=\pi[u - ln|u|]_1^4[br]=\pi(4 - ln4 - 1 + ln1)[br]=\pi(3-ln4)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snasher350
Not for C4 no. FP3 yes

Ah okay thanks I came across a madas question with it and had noo idea what to do few
Sorry guys already asked but the madas exam papers, are all those questions what feature in the individual topic questions or are they different questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Craig1998
If you ever are stuck with an integral, consider substitutions like u = x+1 for this question, it may not be clear to see the 1-1, and it may be a little longer, but it'll give you the answer.

π03xx+1dx[br]u=x+1[br]du/dx=1leadstodx=du[br]Limitschangedto1and4[br][br]=π14xudu[br]=π14u1udu[br]=π1411udu[br]=π[ulnu]14[br]=π(4ln41+ln1)[br]=π(3ln4)\pi\int_0^3 \frac{x}{x+1} dx[br]u = x+1[br]du/dx = 1 leads to dx = du[br]Limits changed to 1 and 4[br][br]=\pi\int_1^4 \frac{x}{u} du[br]=\pi\int_1^4 \frac{u-1}{u} du[br]=\pi\int_1^4 1 - \frac{1}{u} du[br]=\pi[u - ln|u|]_1^4[br]=\pi(4 - ln4 - 1 + ln1)[br]=\pi(3-ln4)

Cheers brah I was thinking of doing that but didn't believe it would work

Posted from TSR Mobile
And anyone have any tips on vectors even after exam solutions I am so confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, draw a 2D good diagram.
Original post by Ayman!
Yeah, draw a 2D good diagram.

Got any tips on integration?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Practice, diagrams, know the basics and just.. do as best as you can in the other parts of the paper :s-smilie: and attempt the extension questions too.

Original post by badaman
Got any tips on integration?

There are only so many ways you can integrate something in C4 :tongue: maybe some substitition or factor formulae or addition or something in your formula booklet might help.. otherwise, try everything if you are stuck :tongue:

Also, if you are asked to integrate lnx, you can use by parts and integrating 1 * lnx.
Original post by Craig1998

Can we use long division here? Then integrate that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
Sorry guys already asked but the madas exam papers, are all those questions what feature in the individual topic questions or are they different questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just open the questions up and compare?
I've done so much Madas C4 papers in the past few days I'm getting sick of C4 :erm:

But there has been a worrying lack of questions involving differentiating a^x so I should probably practice those.

Today is maths revision day for me! :party:
Original post by Serine Soul
I've done so much Madas C4 papers in the past few days I'm getting sick of C4 :erm:

But there has been a worrying lack of questions involving differentiating a^x so I should probably practice those.

:lol: there is so much they can ask you about a^x, if it even pops up in the end, but have fun :h:
Original post by SeanFM
:lol: there is so much they can ask you about a^x, if it even pops up in the end, but have fun :h:

Last year's paper involved integrating it at the end lmao

Maybe it won't come up this year :awesome: Still gonna practice either way :yes:
Original post by Lilly1234567890

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Original post by Lilly1234567890

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try integrate something like  ⁣x(x+1)3dx\displaystyle \int \! \frac{x}{(x+1)^3} \, \mathrm{d}x though.
Original post by Serine Soul

There isn't anything to know beyond writing ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x \ln a} and then using your normal knowledge to integrate/differentiate eαxe^{\alpha x} where α=lna\alpha = \ln a in this case.
Original post by EricPiphany
Try integrate something like  ⁣x(x+1)3dx\displaystyle \int \! \frac{x}{(x+1)^3} \, \mathrm{d}x though.

Wouldn't that be just partial fractions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2298
Please head over to my new website http://app.bubblemaths.com/ if you need help quick on any Maths problems, it's completely free and no sign up is required. Thanks
Original post by Bloom77
Wouldn't that be just partial fractions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't a substitution work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending