The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Do you not read your quran properly? it's filled with sexism.

Quran (4:11) - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females" (see also verse 4:176). In Islam, sexism is mathematically established.

Bukhari (62:58) - A woman presents herself in marriage to Muhammad, but he does not find her attractive, so he "donates" her on the spot to another man.
Abu Dawud (2155) - Women are compared to slaves and camels with regard to the "evil" in them.

Ishaq 593 - "As for Ali, he said, 'Women are plentiful, and you can easily change one for another.'"Ali was raised as a son by Muhammad. He was also the 4th caliph. This comment was made in Muhammad's presence without a word of rebuke from him.

The part of Chapter 4 verse 34 in question is typically translated in English as: “Those husbands who fear disobedience on the part of their wives, first admonish them, then abandon their sleeping places, then beat them.” -

Oh gosh, and this isn't even half:rofl: I have no idea what women did to Allah for him to oppress women so much.

I am not entirely sure about the prophet Muhammed bit though.

What is Islam’s position regarding domestic violence?
Islam prohibits all forms of oppression and injustice (Qur’an 5:8; 4:135; 42:42-43). Muslims scholars agree that Islam does not allow any form of abuse.

Doesn’t the Qur’an instruct men to beat their wives if they are disobedient?Verse 4:34 in the Qur’an prescribes a step-by-step process for husbands to address a wife’s behavior if she is acting in a manner that would threaten the integrity of the family unit (such as promiscuous behavior). The Arabic word that has often been translated as “beat her” also has many other meanings, such as “leave her.” Scholars who choose the translation of “beat” emphasize that it is symbolic and can leave no mark or injury. These scholars suggest that the husband might use the equivalent of a tissue or blade of grass to make his point. Abusers may take this verse out of context and forget the multiple teachings that emphasize equity, mutual compassion and respect in the marital relationship (Qur’an 4:1; 30:21; 42:38; 49:13; 65:6).
Reply 101
Original post by sheelo73
Islam prohibits all forms of oppression and injustice (Qur’an 5:8; 4:135; 42:42-43). Muslims scholars agree that Islam does not allow any form of abuse.

Doesn’t the Qur’an instruct men to beat their wives if they are disobedient?Verse 4:34 in the Qur’an prescribes a step-by-step process for husbands to address a wife’s behavior if she is acting in a manner that would threaten the integrity of the family unit (such as promiscuous behavior). The Arabic word that has often been translated as “beat her” also has many other meanings, such as “leave her.” Scholars who choose the translation of “beat” emphasize that it is symbolic and can leave no mark or injury. These scholars suggest that the husband might use the equivalent of a tissue or blade of grass to make his point. Abusers may take this verse out of context and forget the multiple teachings that emphasize equity, mutual compassion and respect in the marital relationship (Qur’an 4:1; 30:21; 42:38; 49:13; 65:6).

Finally someone with the correct translation

So in other words, the quran is sexist. Thank you for pointing that out.

Not sure how you concluded that from his/her post tbh
Do you not read your quran properly? it's filled with sexism.

Quran (4:11) - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females" (see also verse 4:176). In Islam, sexism is mathematically established.

Bukhari (62:58) - A woman presents herself in marriage to Muhammad, but he does not find her attractive, so he "donates" her on the spot to another man.

if my bf even tried it, he certainly wouldnt have the bollox or ability to reproduce!

the quotes on bukhari are wrong, here is the real one :

"O Allah's Apostle! I have come to you to present myself to you (for marriage)." Allah's Apostle glanced at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer." The man said, 'No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and try to find something." So the man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I have not found anything." The Prophet said, "Go again and look for something, even if it were an iron ring." He went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find even an iron ring, but this is my Izar (waist sheet).' He had no Rida (upper garment). He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will have nothing over herself thereof (will be naked), and if she wears it, then you will have nothing over yourself thereof ' So the man sat for a long period and then got up (to leave). When Allah's Apostle saw him leaving, he ordered that he e called back. When he came, the Prophet asked (him), "How much of the Qur'an do you know (by heart)?" The man replied, I know such Sura and such Sura and such Sura," naming the suras. The Prophet said, "Can you recite it by heart?" He said, 'Yes." The Prophet said, "Go I let you marry her for what you know of the Quran (as her Mahr).

i see nothing wrong with this quote, where is the sexism? Prophet is telling the man to bring a gift for the woman he is trying to marry. If anything, its good for the woman..

the actual abu dawad quote :
The Prophet (pbuh) said: If one of you marries a woman or buys a slave, he should say: "O Allah, I ask Thee for the good in her, and in the disposition Thou hast given her; I take refuge in Thee from the evil in her, and in the disposition Thou hast given her." When he buys a camel, he should take hold of the top of its hump and say the same kind of thing.

idk why you think this quote is wrong as all the Prophet said was, hope for the best from everybody and everything and ask for protection from the bad anyone or thing might cause you. Thats quite a noble thing

the last bit you quote of the quran for chapter 4 , this is the correct translation:
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.
and if you were to research this properly for even a second you would find the beating is meant to cause no bodily harm as the only object men are allowed to hit the wive with is a stick no wider or taller than your thumb. therefore the "beating" is more of a symbolic thing. if anyone takes this out of proportion and full on beats his wife is being a c*nt and should be imprisoned.

as for the Ishaq 593. we in the islamic community know Ishaq was a very unreliable scholar and we do not use his work. Majority of muslims do not even know of his existence . When you google "Ishaq 593" all that comes up are some anti islam sites.

i hope thats answered some of your queries. ill happily answer more when i have time ( exams and everything lol)
Reply 106

Tissue? Did they use that in the prophet's time? Lol. Blade of grass...I would assume it's a bit difficult to come across in the Arab peninsula. I believe youre talking about the miswak which is NOT equivalent to a blade of grass but a stick or a twig. My problem is, why? Why does a husband need to attack her with a stick instead of divorcing her? And where is the justification for the husband to be beaten? Are women the only ones who can bring shame to a family?

And Islam does allow you to beat your child for not praying above the ages of 10... But it's not oppression of your doing it for Allah of course.
Original post by childofthesun
Not sure how you concluded that from his/her post tbh

Qur’an prescribes a step-by-step process for husbands to address a wife’s behavior if she is acting in a manner that would threaten the integrity of the family unit (such as promiscuous behavior).
Explain to me how that is not sexist please.

Original post by shawtyb
if my bf even tried it, he certainly wouldnt have the bollox or ability to reproduce!

:rofl:
Original post by Mjcal1
Tissue? Did they use that in the prophet's time? Lol. Blade of grass...I would assume it's a bit difficult to come across in the Arab peninsula. I believe youre talking about the miswak which is NOT equivalent to a blade of grass but a stick or a twig. My problem is, why? Why does a husband need to attack her with a stick instead of divorcing her? And where is the justification for the husband to be beaten? Are women the only ones who can bring shame to a family?

And Islam does allow you to beat your child for not praying above the ages of 10... But it's not oppression of your doing it for Allah of course.

i wonder how thick you must be to assume that there is no grass in the arabian peninsula lol:biggrin:

going straight to divorce is allowed. if that is your concern

men can also disgrace the family. and often are the ones who do.

And no, its not compulsory for a child to pray or fast until they hit puberty, even then most dont and i havent seen anyone get hit for doing so. it takes time to learn how to pray and takes time to build tolerance to not eat from dawn to dusk. i myself took a good 4-5 years after puberty before i could fast the whole month of ramadan and i wasnt beaten for doing so ( i come from a devout muslim family)
the quotes on bukhari are wrong, here is the real one :

"O Allah's Apostle! I have come to you to present myself to you (for marriage)." Allah's Apostle glanced at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer." The man said, 'No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and try to find something." So the man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I have not found anything." The Prophet said, "Go again and look for something, even if it were an iron ring." He went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find even an iron ring, but this is my Izar (waist sheet).' He had no Rida (upper garment). He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will have nothing over herself thereof (will be naked), and if she wears it, then you will have nothing over yourself thereof ' So the man sat for a long period and then got up (to leave). When Allah's Apostle saw him leaving, he ordered that he e called back. When he came, the Prophet asked (him), "How much of the Qur'an do you know (by heart)?" The man replied, I know such Sura and such Sura and such Sura," naming the suras. The Prophet said, "Can you recite it by heart?" He said, 'Yes." The Prophet said, "Go I let you marry her for what you know of the Quran (as her Mahr).

i see nothing wrong with this quote, where is the sexism? Prophet is telling the man to bring a gift for the woman he is trying to marry. If anything, its good for the woman..

the actual abu dawad quote :
The Prophet (pbuh) said: If one of you marries a woman or buys a slave, he should say: "O Allah, I ask Thee for the good in her, and in the disposition Thou hast given her; I take refuge in Thee from the evil in her, and in the disposition Thou hast given her." When he buys a camel, he should take hold of the top of its hump and say the same kind of thing.

idk why you think this quote is wrong as all the Prophet said was, hope for the best from everybody and everything and ask for protection from the bad anyone or thing might cause you. Thats quite a noble thing

the last bit you quote of the quran for chapter 4 , this is the correct translation:
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.
and if you were to research this properly for even a second you would find the beating is meant to cause no bodily harm as the only object men are allowed to hit the wive with is a stick no wider or taller than your thumb. therefore the "beating" is more of a symbolic thing. if anyone takes this out of proportion and full on beats his wife is being a c*nt and should be imprisoned.

as for the Ishaq 593. we in the islamic community know Ishaq was a very unreliable scholar and we do not use his work. Majority of muslims do not even know of his existence . When you google "Ishaq 593" all that comes up are some anti islam sites.

i hope thats answered some of your queries. ill happily answer more when i have time ( exams and everything lol)

So you are agreeing it's okay for a husband to hit his wife as long as it's no more wider than a stick? yuck, that's such a disgusting with to say.

And you actually believe the parts I highlighted isn't sexist? Are you being serious? It's so sad how forced into Islam you Muslims are that you deny the evidence displayed in front of you. So sad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe his name is Mohammed? Why do annoying people like you accuse everyone of being a troll?

Because he made his account just recent and this is his first thread.... Why would he need to tell someone hes an ex muslim.... normally people ask for help or ask opinions on thigs hes literally just said im an ex muslim.... Clearly a moron trying to get more people to agree with nonsensical points about Islam
Qur’an prescribes a step-by-step process for husbands to address a wife’s behavior if she is acting in a manner that would threaten the integrity of the family unit (such as promiscuous behavior).

So your issue is with the idea of a man addressing his wife's behaviour..

Should a husband not be allowed to challenge his wife's behaviour if it was inappropriate or could potentially damage their marriage? If a wife was behaving promiscuously, her husband is to keep quiet and not ask her about it?

:rofl:

its not sexist, im starting to think you are one of those feminazis who think women can do no wrong. tell me , if a woman engages in cheating on her husband or even the other way around, will it not eventually ruin the family? divorce has horrible effects on every member of the family. I do not see how this is sexist at all.
Please tell me exactly why this is sexist?
Original post by macsalaama
Zeus, Odin, Amun, Vishnu, Allah etc
There are so many Gods to choose from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesnt even make sense nor can there be multiple Gods, the definition of a God is all powerful having multiple Gods contradicts the very nature of a God.
Original post by macsalaama
It could be a throwaway account. If op has another one and he has disclosed sensitive information it shouldn't be surprising if this is a second account.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what would he gain if he was really an "ex muslim" no description given no questions asked just a vague ask me anything.... People who do leave tend to have many reasons and describe what they felt like and how they feel like none of this is given, he clearly wanted a response in which the masses would come flooding in slating Islam, talk about agenda.
Original post by childofthesun
So your issue is with the idea of a man addressing his wife's behaviour..

Should a husband not be allowed to challenge his wife's behaviour if it was inappropriate or could potentially damage their marriage? If a wife was behaving promiscuously, her husband is to keep quiet and not ask her about it?

So are women not allowed to challenge the husbands behaviour if he is promiscuous? It's sexist itself because it claims as if there is aan issue with female promiscuity and not males.

its not sexist, im starting to think you are one of those feminazis who think women can do no wrong. tell me , if a woman engages in cheating on her husband or even the other way around, will it not eventually ruin the family? divorce has horrible effects on every member of the family. I do not see how this is sexist at all.
Please tell me exactly why this is sexist?

I never said that, are you okay ? It's sexist to imply that promiscuity is only bad in females and not males.
So you are agreeing it's okay for a husband to hit his wife as long as it's no more wider than a stick? yuck, that's such a disgusting with to say.

And you actually believe the parts I highlighted isn't sexist? Are you being serious? It's so sad how forced into Islam you Muslims are that you deny the evidence displayed in front of you. So sad.

it may appear sexist to you somehow. its really not, idk why you think that. if a woman does something wrong, she should not be punished? if a man does something wrong should he not be punished?
it may appear sexist to you somehow. its really not, idk why you think that. if a woman does something wrong, she should not be punished? if a man does something wrong should he not be punished?

Well the quran only implies that women should be punished. Get over yourself and stop denying the truth presented in front you. Some parts of the quran are very sexist.
Reply 118
i wonder how thick you must be to assume that there is no grass in the arabian peninsula lol:biggrin:

going straight to divorce is allowed. if that is your concern

men can also disgrace the family. and often are the ones who do.

And no, its not compulsory for a child to pray or fast until they hit puberty, even then most dont and i havent seen anyone get hit for doing so. it takes time to learn how to pray and takes time to build tolerance to not eat from dawn to dusk. i myself took a good 4-5 years after puberty before i could fast the whole month of ramadan and i wasnt beaten for doing so ( i come from a devout muslim family)

Insults and anecdotal stories. Nice one! We can agree that Allah is unjust in the way men and women are punished in the dunya for shaming the family, right?

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-’As: The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) said: Command your children to pray when they become seven years old, and beat them for it (prayer) when they become ten years old; and arrange their beds (to sleep) separately.Sunan Abu Dawood Book 2 Hadith 495

^^ you might wanna check that out incase I made this out of thin air.

You didn't really reply to what I said but it's pretty hard to justify (minor?) domestic violence.
So are women not allowed to challenge the husbands behaviour if he is promiscuous? It's sexist itself because it claims as if there is aan issue with female promiscuity and not males.

She can,and if she wishes she can obtain a divorce.
It claims(or even implies) no such thing. Adulterous behaviour is heavily punished for both men and women, so how can those verses possibly claim that only female promiscuity outside of marriage is wrong?

Latest