The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tim73
I think you got the sin and cos the wrong way round...

Oh crap yeah jhahaha
Original post by Don Joiner
Does anyone else find it hard to figure out whether there is a reaction force happening or not at a support on a beam? It seems quite hit and miss to me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the same issue. It's very hard to figure out. Can someone please explain ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steph.shakes
I have the same issue. It's very hard to figure out. Can someone please explain ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's always a reaction force at a support on a beam UNLESS the beam is pivoting about that support, hope that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by peacefully_
thank you for this !! :smile:

Hey I got the sin and cos the wrong way round xD sorry about that
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Really? Hmm...Well, I don't see anywhere where I went wrong in my working! Maybe show your working?

You used sinx but it is actually cos x
Original post by coconut64
You used sinx but it is actually cos x

Yeah haha I realised xD Sorry about that lol!
I'm completely stuck on this M1 question, I don't get what's going on as I've never seen vectors and moments combined? (Q4 a,b)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464896204.493538.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone link to the M2 thread please

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm completely stuck on this M1 question, I don't get what's going on as I've never seen vectors and moments combined? (Q4 a,b)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464896204.493538.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure I've seen this question before - it's from a Solomon paper right? I'm not sure how to do it but I think my teacher said it's more something M2 peeps would do than us. However, someone on here can probably help you out though haha.
I've seen this come up a lot in questions, although I haven't really had to use it, I don't understand what it means. Can only explain what a questions means when they say

"lies in the same vertical plane as this line of greatest slope."

an example of a question where they say this (although it comes up in many other questions)

Spoiler

can you use a vector triangle of forces for bodies or particles which are not in equilibrium?
If you put two different ways of answering a question and they give you different answers do you get the marks for the correct one?

As in, are you allowed to give two answers and then they just mark the correct one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How come there aren't any Madas M1 papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are no proper M1 paper, but you can get a question by topic booklet. I'd recommend trying out the Delphis paper on Physics and Maths tutor.

If you put two different ways of answering a question and they give you different answers do you get the marks for the correct one?

As in, are you allowed to give two answers and then they just mark the correct one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this in one of my exams, and only gained a few method marks :frown: You must, state which one is your answer.
Original post by kkboyk
There are no proper M1 paper, but you can get a question by topic booklet. I'd recommend trying out the Delphis paper on Physics and Maths tutor.

I did this in one of my exams, and only gained a few method marks :frown: You must, state which one is your answer.

How do you state it? Because as far as I can tell from the markscheme anything you put must be marked, and even if something is crossed out they will try to mark it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you state it? Because as far as I can tell from the markscheme anything you put must be marked, and even if something is crossed out they will try to mark it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cross out one of your answers. Whenever I get two different solutions using different methods , I keep both methods but then at the end I state my answer by writing something like "therefore the tension in the string is..." so I could at least get some method marks.
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Hey I got the sin and cos the wrong way round xD sorry about that

yeah I noticed straight away, don't worry about it
How do we know if F = ma or if it's equal to 0?
Original post by peacefully_
yeah I noticed straight away, don't worry about it

Original post by amelienine
How do we know if F = ma or if it's equal to 0?

If the particle is said to be in equilibrium or I guess if it's travelling at a constant speed as well because when it's travelling at a constant speed, it's acceleration = 0 ms^-2.
Anyone got any advice on how to do those "find the force exerted on the pulley by the string" questions? They're the only ones which stump me...

THanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending