The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evekay
that's what i was planning! But like i feel like i've just hit a brick wall in terms of how to revise... how are you doing it? memorising essays? mind maps? flash cards? past papers? i dunno which one is the best:frown:

Try memory stories https://youtu.be/traRveJj9zM
Original post by Sidneyy12
Guys, do you think using predictions from websites like loopa are effective/alright/acceptable?
They have seemed to be quite accurate, and my thinking was that this was the final year and so they may have pulled a wild card and done like last years essays or something, but I think less of that happening now as the psya2 (unit 2) predictions were accurate and things came up that people predicted?
Thoughts?

Don't trust them dude. I am retaking this year guess why? I got a C and learnt 7/8 essays on one of them and the one that came up was the final one which I hadn't studied. lol. I got a C overall from doing 2 essays, leaving the 3rd one blank lol. I bet I'd have gotten an A* if I did get the last one. But I got ****ed by luck. Trust me, it's better to learn all of them.

Let me be a warning to you all. And btw guys I spent 2 nights studying for that exam, so 5 days is plenty of time. Just get a basic outline for each question and develop on them. The only issue is memorising studies but even then you don't need that much. Just make sure you clearly explain what the question asks. Like for aggression, the SLT requires like no studies except maybe 1 in A02. Just keep making sure you produce good quality content.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blonde_Pretzel

This is good but under exam stress you will almost guarantee forget it. Never mind the fact you have to do this for 18 Questions and have lots of other exams so will barely be able to do this now.

I think having a simple/structure helps a lot more e.g:

Gentic factors in aggression:
Twin studies importance
Adoption studies importance
MAOA Gene- reg serotinin
500 children study- low MAOA + bad upbringing= more aggressive

Evaluation:
RWA- Genetic engineering
Animal research
Hard to actually measure genetics
Methological issues
Sampling issues.

It's IMO a lot easier to have like that-a mini plan and practise it so when it comes to the exam you can just drop the buzz words and go to town on it rather than going through a somewhat longer/harder to remember story
At least for me lol.
Original post by dpka1
https://psychologya2modelanswers.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/predictions-for-2016-psya3-paper/

for eating behaviours, it could be neural explanantions for eating behurs (e.g. glucostatic theory) and attitudes towards food (culture and health). It could also be evolutionary approach to eating disorders.

This video covers everything for neural mechanisms in eating https://youtu.be/JZFbcQU6DvM
Original post by mrsulaimaankhan
This is good but under exam stress you will almost guarantee forget it. Never mind the fact you have to do this for 18 Questions and have lots of other exams so will barely be able to do this now.

I think having a simple/structure helps a lot more e.g:

Gentic factors in aggression:
Twin studies importance
Adoption studies importance
MAOA Gene- reg serotinin
500 children study- low MAOA + bad upbringing= more aggressive

Evaluation:
RWA- Genetic engineering
Animal research
Hard to actually measure genetics
Methological issues
Sampling issues.

It's IMO a lot easier to have like that-a mini plan and practise it so when it comes to the exam you can just drop the buzz words and go to town on it rather than going through a somewhat longer/harder to remember story
At least for me lol.

Everyone's different.
Don't trust them dude. I am retaking this year guess why? I got a C and learnt 7/8 essays on one of them and the one that came up was the final one which I hadn't studied. lol. I got a C overall from doing 2 essays, leaving the 3rd one blank lol. I bet I'd have gotten an A* if I did get the last one. But I got ****ed by luck. Trust me, it's better to learn all of them.

Let me be a warning to you all. And btw guys I spent 2 nights studying for that exam, so 5 days is plenty of time. Just get a basic outline for each question and develop on them. The only issue is memorising studies but even then you don't need that much. Just make sure you clearly explain what the question asks. Like for aggression, the SLT requires like no studies except maybe 1 in A02. Just keep making sure you produce good quality content.

Was the one that you didn't revise the essay from the year before?

5 days is definetly not enough if you havent started. Theres way too much to learn to good understanding. Dont know how you can say just learn studies and brief outline. It needs to be a very good essay and dont think 5 days is enough to cover everything.
Original post by Blonde_Pretzel

People have said that to me but i just cant get it to "work" when names and studies are complex, and feel it takes more effort to do it and it still never full sinks in. Ive seen people say its really good and theres famous memory champions doing the same but when learning complex things how could you get it to work? You have to have like 25 stories?
Could you give an example of a story for an essat youve used.
Anyone else bricking it for PSYA3 on Wednesday or is it just me :frown: haha
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
5 days is definetly not enough if you havent started. Theres way too much to learn to good understanding. Dont know how you can say just learn studies and brief outline. It needs to be a very good essay and dont think 5 days is enough to cover everything.

I 100% agree with this, I started PSYA3 revision back in February and I'm glad I did now, because I'm condensing my already condensed revision notes further and I feel comfortable with the content. However, I will still be revising on the morning of the exam. But no I'd say 5 days isn't enough time..
Reply 1570
Original post by Im130
I hope gender schema does come up. I think the reason AQA have already done it so many times is because of how difficult students find it.

But, if they wanna raise grade boundaries back up from how low they were last year, they'll probably give an easy one. I'd say the easiest one is kholberg. biosocial or genes and hormones are the two most likely since they've never come up, and idk whether to find them difficult or not. genes and hormones is so weird since it feels like you're talking about sexual development rather than gender development, but in the end it's okay i guess

I was revising kohlbergs theory yesterday was actually surprised how easy it was!

Everyone's different. For example, I know that although I'll only have four days to learn everything I'll be absolutely fine. It just depends on your memory
Why is there so few past papers?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Why is there so few past papers?

The spec changed a few years ago
Original post by A-LJLB
Everyone's different. For example, I know that although I'll only have four days to learn everything I'll be absolutely fine. It just depends on your memory

But memorizing an essay requires time and its unlikely someone can sit down and dedicate 8h a day for psych, you get bored distracted etc. Memorizing an essay for me takes about an hour inc doing other things then another 30 mins to a timed essay. Plus i always thought my memory is really good since to others it takes longer to digest and absorb info but what i meant was 5 days for 90% of people wont be enough 2 weeks would have been enough had they started from last week.

When you memorize an essay do you write things down or just repeat and say things out loud? If so how long inc a timed essay would it take you to memorize one essay.
But memorizing an essay requires time and its unlikely someone can sit down and dedicate 8h a day for psych, you get bored distracted etc. Memorizing an essay for me takes about an hour inc doing other things then another 30 mins to a timed essay. Plus i always thought my memory is really good since to others it takes longer to digest and absorb info but what i meant was 5 days for 90% of people wont be enough 2 weeks would have been enough had they started from last week.

When you memorize an essay do you write things down or just repeat and say things out loud? If so how long inc a timed essay would it take you to memorize one essay.

I write them down and also read over it. Time totally depends on the essay, whether it's one I enjoy, which obviously means I can memorise it a lot quicker, or one I hate which would require more time. I agree it's unlikely someone could memorise all the essays, so luck will come into play regarding how well the exam goes
Original post by A-LJLB
I write them down and also read over it. Time totally depends on the essay, whether it's one I enjoy, which obviously means I can memorise it a lot quicker, or one I hate which would require more time. I agree it's unlikely someone could memorise all the essays, so luck will come into play regarding how well the exam goes

Yep, but the last thing i want is people reading what that person said who did "2 days" and got a C to follow it thinking its enough.
Yep, but the last thing i want is people reading what that person said who did "2 days" and got a C to follow it thinking its enough.

No I agree, I wouldn't advise it, I'm not entirely sure if I believe it tbh
Hey can anyone help me out?

So in relationships (sexual selection) I use Buss' research who found over 6 continents 37 cultures and used 10,000 participants how men prefer young attractive women and women prefer men with resources and ambitious minds.

He also did a study which i use for Infidelity and Jealousy (aggression) where women fear emotional infidelity whereas men fear sexual infidelity. I was thinking can i use this research in the sexual selection essay by analysing by saying, it supports Darwin's theory as women fear loosing the resources in which helps her survive, whereas male fear losing his chance of spreading his genes, which supports the idea behind what men and women look for to reproduce?
OKAY I FEEL LIKE I'VE OVERCOME THE MENTAL BLOCK I WAS HAVING

so basically yesterday i sat down and did my self a revision timetable (hear me out). I made it really specific and basically just covered the next week and a half. So, I went on excel and I put the days of the week down the side and along the top I put the times of day, starting from half 9am with revision in half an hour slots with 10 minute breaks, and then an hour break during the day for lunch or whatever.

for each essay i need to memorise, i gave my self two slots (equivalent to an hour, 10 minute break inbetween) and in that time i will first write out the essay to get myself familiar with it. i will then go through and highlight key bits. then i will create one flash card which summarises the essay, and that will be it. i've also recorded myself speaking the essays aloud and i am gunna listen to them a few times a day. if you do this you'll have enough time! i'm finding it ok today and i'm on track so far..

obviously everyone is different but this seems to be doing the trick for me! Also, if you think information isn't going in, just hope it'll all come back to you in the exam! (I'm kind of relying on that too lol). Good luck!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending