The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

With The biosocial approach to gender development do we talk about gender dysphoria or the actual biosocial approach proposed by John Money et al? Or can we talk about either?
Original post by Marli-Ruth
With The biosocial approach to gender development do we talk about gender dysphoria or the actual biosocial approach proposed by John Money et al? Or can we talk about either?

If anyone knows let me know too lol or if anyone has an essay on it please please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, as far as I see it, the whole Money/ Eagley biosocial approach is how you would respond to a question like "Describe the biosocial approach to gender" and then you can use gender dysphoria as an answer to a question about research and evidence for it. Hope that makes sense!
Original post by ktmartini
Hey, as far as I see it, the whole Money/ Eagley biosocial approach is how you would respond to a question like "Describe the biosocial approach to gender" and then you can use gender dysphoria as an answer to a question about research and evidence for it. Hope that makes sense!

Yeah that's right
Original post by brown_eyes
I've got an essay on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What have you put for each of the AOs, I'm not an essay-copier, just after inspiration?
omg life saver, is it possible for you to email it to me or post it here? it would be really appreciated thats if you dont mind
i usually wouldn't ask for someone elses' essay but im literally baffled on this one
Original post by TMC113
What have you put for each of the AOs, I'm not an essay-copier, just after inspiration?
is it possible that the question would specify a specific part of the theory you must discuss? so for example, for piaget's theory of cognitive development my teacher said to write about only one stage of the theory out of four in detail, so i chose sensorimotor, but could the question be like "discuss piaget's theory of cognitive development with reference to formal operational stage" or can they only ask about the general theory?
Original post by l0nelynight
is it possible that the question would specify a specific part of the theory you must discuss? so for example, for piaget's theory of cognitive development my teacher said to write about only one stage of the theory out of four in detail, so i chose sensorimotor, but could the question be like "discuss piaget's theory of cognitive development with reference to formal operational stage" or can they only ask about the general theory?

No, at least i dont think so. I love this topic but it is also my worst :frown:
Original post by theasian_csl
No, at least i dont think so. I love this topic but it is also my worst :frown:

oh phew, i really don't think i can remember every stage and study on top of everything else! and same, the essays require so much technical vocabulary to be remembered ):
Reply 1609

I think you're meant to talk about Money et als biosocial theory and Eagly and woods theory (you may have different)

Then regarding gender dysphoria I saw on a past markscheme for this question you can use gender dysphoria :-)
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Yep, but the last thing i want is people reading what that person said who did "2 days" and got a C to follow it thinking its enough.

Original post by A-LJLB
No I agree, I wouldn't advise it, I'm not entirely sure if I believe it tbh

Hmm... I did only 2 nights to be more accurate :s-smilie:.

My point was that it's doable for the people who have left it late. I have defo put 100s of hours already this year into but memorsing literally word for word isn't the best strategy at this stage. You would be much better of spending the the remaining 5 days actually learning enough for each essay than memorise every single word. You won't get 100% for copy and pasting. My outline thing was a plan, which is extremely useful in keep a composed and to the point answer rather than slogging on with jargon. I learn this from History AS.
You are right to say though that 5 days isn't enough if you just start now, you'd have had to already done the essays and got a feel for them.

my other point was that you should always make sure you learn ALL THE ESSAYS rather than leave 1 or 2 out. The essay I hadn't revised came up and I just left it because I didn't have enough information. DON'T GAMBLE like I did. Trust me lol. Learn from my mistake.

Also I overall got AAA for all my subjects, but I am applying for oxford for comp sci, so yeah... incase you guys maybe looking down on me 0_0. I am doing a couple of module retakes lol.
Original post by mrsulaimaankhan
Hmm... I did only 2 nights to be more accurate :s-smilie:.

My point was that it's doable for the people who have left it late. I have defo put 100s of hours already this year into but memorsing literally word for word isn't the best strategy at this stage. You would be much better of spending the the remaining 5 days actually learning enough for each essay than memorise every single word. You won't get 100% for copy and pasting. My outline thing was a plan, which is extremely useful in keep a composed and to the point answer rather than slogging on with jargon. I learn this from History AS.
You are right to say though that 5 days isn't enough if you just start now, you'd have had to already done the essays and got a feel for them.

my other point was that you should always make sure you learn ALL THE ESSAYS rather than leave 1 or 2 out. The essay I hadn't revised came up and I just left it because I didn't have enough information. DON'T GAMBLE like I did. Trust me lol. Learn from my mistake.

Also I overall got AAA for all my subjects, but I am applying for oxford for comp sci, so yeah... incase you guys maybe looking down on me 0_0. I am doing a couple of module retakes lol.

How were we looking down on you? Even if we were, you applying to Oxford wouldn't change that?

I'm one of those that has only just started so I was hardly looking down at you when I'm in the same position lol.
Reply 1612
Original post by A-LJLB
How were we looking down on you? Even if we were, you applying to Oxford wouldn't change that?

I'm one of those that has only just started so I was hardly looking down at you when I'm in the same position lol.

Nobody is looking down on you... Realistically nobody can remember every single essay, it's just pure luck on the day tbh :/
Original post by A-LJLB

Not exactly you but the other guy, sorry. I only quoted you to give you to let you know you should get a sound understanding at this point of all the essays because it's too late to get max details for each essay. I guess you could but you would just about finish and may not get time to make sure it sinks in properly.
Original post by mrsulaimaankhan
Not exactly you but the other guy, sorry. I only quoted you to give you to let you know you should get a sound understanding at this point of all the essays because it's too late to get max details for each essay. I guess you could but you would just about finish and may not get time to make sure it sinks in properly.

No problem. Well I've written out the majority of my essays so I'm going to learn them then move on
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
5 days is definetly not enough if you havent started. Theres way too much to learn to good understanding. Dont know how you can say just learn studies and brief outline. It needs to be a very good essay and dont think 5 days is enough to cover everything.

What subjects do you do? You barely learn anything in psychology, you just get a basic background on something and copy it over lol compared to Chemistry or Biology or Maths. Anyway you 5 days is enough so long as you have have done something before. Brief outline was to note that you do about 2/3 good 80-100 word paragraphs. You don't need to fit in 5 pages. You are trying to make it way more complex than it is.

Why are you making it out to be undoable?

Oh and I can say it because I did 2/3 of a paper and got a C. Not great yeah but I did miss 1/3 of all marks, yet still did alright so yeah... I also got A* in the psya4 unit lol so I do think I know what I am talking about.
Original post by NHM
Nobody is looking down on you... Realistically nobody can remember every single essay, it's just pure luck on the day tbh :/

That's the point. Very few people will get a perfect understanding of all the essays. You got to make sure you make a good plan for each and do as good as you can. You aren't expected to be an someone who has the book memorised inside out to get the top grades. All the best to you all. I am out of this thread, less TSR more focus lol. I'll be back to discuss post-exam!
I bet the examiners are reading this thread and laughing to themselves about how wrong we are with our predictions :colonhash:
Reply 1618
Could someone please send me a model Kohlbergs theory answer please (gender) :-)
Reply 1619
Original post by Oiseaux
I bet the examiners are reading this thread and laughing to themselves about how wrong we are with our predictions :colonhash:

I don't think examiners bother looking through the student room in their spare time...