The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
Yes I am , but is this a french thing ?
I think your comment was quiet racist , perhaps we should should stop the whole thing about nationalities.
Also why do you even talk to me if you don't like me ?

It was a joke, I never said I didn't like you :smile: have you done the mock
Original post by gasfxekl

Ok I have to admit I don't understand a 95 % of jokes overall .
It's ok most people don't like me anyway :smile:
Yes
Original post by Vesniep
Ok I have to admit I don't understand a 95 % of jokes overall .
It's ok most people don't like me anyway :smile:
Yes

She is trolling you, thinking she is clever and all just ignore her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
She is trolling you, thinking she is clever and all just ignore her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I can tolerate some trolling , unlike arrogance which I despise (generally speaking) .
I was angry about the french stereotype thing tbh , but if she didn't mean it it's fine .
Does anyone want to talk about 2014 II ?
Where have you all gone ?
Original post by gasfxekl

Don't you want to discuss about the mock ?
Original post by Vesniep

Just finished my 2014 II mock, marking it now. I thought it went fairly well, especially considering that I'd seen some of the questions before and so didn't do them.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Just finished my 2014 II mock, marking it now. I thought it went fairly well, especially considering that I'd seen some of the questions before and so didn't do them.

which questions did you pick?
Original post by Vesniep

Lovely paper imho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duke Glacia
Lovely paper imho

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hated it , I could hardly get that S .
Q2 was awful (so messy).
Overall I only enjoyed the statistics question Q12 .
Original post by Vesniep

2 - went pretty well
5 - standard differential equation
13 - managed to get some marks but couldn't do it all
12 - easy pdf question
4 - only managed the first two parts
8 - had a go at the start in the last 5 minutes

I remember doing 7 before and it being very easy. I also remember a question that looked like 6 but easier in an old STEP II paper -- 2003 or something.

Edit: after marking I got 88 (20 on 2 and 5, 19 on 12 for failing to differentiate properly in the last part, 14 in 4 and 13, 1 in 8). Pretty pleased with that -- nice solid 1 with three complete solutions.
(edited 7 years ago)
2 - went pretty well
5 - standard differential equation
13 - managed to get some marks but couldn't do it all
12 - easy pdf question
4 - only managed the first two parts
8 - had a go at the start in the last 5 minutes

I remember doing 7 before and it being very easy. I also remember a question that looked like 6 but easier in an old STEP II paper -- 2003 or something.

Q6 and Q4 were both easy and elegant unlike Q2 and Q5 which were standard but with tiring algebra .

Dont suppose you marked q5 with the markscheme did you? I might have overlooked something but it looks like they made some sign errors when subbing back in x,y for X,Y
Reply 253
Original post by EnglishMuon
Dont suppose you marked q5 with the markscheme did you? I might have overlooked something but it looks like they made some sign errors when subbing back in x,y for X,Y

They did, yes. (also mucked up the discriminant part of Q1). Correct answer should be (y+1) + stuff = -5
Original post by Zacken
They did, yes. (also mucked up the discriminant part of Q1). Correct answer should be (y+1) + stuff = -5

oh few, thats good! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 255
Original post by Vesniep

In the mock:

2 - fine
3 - fine
4 - fine
5 - arithmetical slips.
6 - fine
10 - fine except for mis-sketching a graph.
12 - fine.

Out of the mock:

1 - fine
7 - mucked up the last part
8 - fine.
Original post by EnglishMuon

Glad you agree! I originally thought it was just me being stupid, but it seems like it was their mistake. Did you get c = -5?
Glad you agree! I originally thought it was just me being stupid, but it seems like it was their mistake. Did you get c = -5?

yep :smile:
I'll join in with peer marking 2015 papers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vesniep
@EricPiphany
Just finished the paper ... and I have to admit it was awful (one of my worst mocks)
Solved : 4(nice),5(did a mistake in the start so I'd lose all accuracy marks),6(nice),7(quiet nice),12(very nice and easy) and 2i (ii was too messy for me). I panicked a lot in this mock and could not concentrate . I'm now sad , cause grade boundaries were very high and I didn't enjoy it that much , I think it would be better if I chose more applied maths (that's what I normally do , I just lost control of what was going on after a point)
So I guess I got like 95 idk (either a very low S or a very high 1)
how about you ?
send me your work.
I'll send you mine later (btw how many pages can we upload ? Mine was 11 pages ).

Spoiler

I'll get back to you in about an hour or an hour and a half.
Just finished doing III 2014 as a mock, boy am I stressed. Didn't fail spectacularly, but didn't finish six questions... so yeah.

Quick Reply