The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry A2 Unit 5: Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry - 22nd June 2016

Hi everyone!

This thread is for discussing:

AQA Chemistry A2 Unit 5: Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry - 22nd June 2016

[UNDER CONSTRUCTION]
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Omg this is so early?!
Weirdo 😂 lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the point of electrochemical cells?
Is it to allow a current to be made between the two electrodes?
Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to do this question?

Deduce an equation for the redox reaction that would occur when hydroxide ions are added to HOCl
Reply 4
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to do this question?

Deduce an equation for the redox reaction that would occur when hydroxide ions are added to HOCl

Hey!

Is there any way you can attach the whole question I can try and see if I can help you :smile:
Any hard questions in any of the unit 5 chemistry papers that people have come across?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know in proton and carbon nmr

You know those questions they label certain atoms of a molecule A or B and you have to tell the splitting pattern of that atom in a compound.

How are you supposed to know which 'adjacent' carbon causes the splitting pattern cause it could be different ones on either side. So which adjacent do you use?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
can someone PLEASE send me a picture of page 106 of the AQA chemistry textbook page in chapter 8- Amino acids. I left my textbook in school and need this page. Its that textbook with a girl on the front. Nelson Thornes i think
Reply 8
image.png
Original post by tayoo
can someone PLEASE send me a picture of page 106 of the AQA chemistry textbook page in chapter 8- Amino acids. I left my textbook in school and need this page. Its that textbook with a girl on the front. Nelson Thornes i think

Here you go 😊
Reply 9
Original post by Larashax
image.png

Here you go 😊

Thank you so much
Reply 10
the spec says appreciate that cells can be non-rechargeable (irreversible),rechargeable and fuel cells
but after doing a june 2011 chem 5 paper i felt like they expected us to have a deeper understanding. (e.g. why voltage decreases over time in some cells, and in some cells remains constant)

hmm, also do we need to learn in depth procedures of gas/column chromatography as the spec only says know that mixtures of amino acids can be separated bychromotography however i have seen a question in a past paper where you have to dicuss the procedure and describe retention time in more detail
Pt l SO32–(aq), SO42–(aq) ll ClO3–(aq), Cl–(aq) l Pt

In conventional representation, does it matter which way the SO3 2– (aq) and SO4 2– (aq) are written??
Reply 12
how do you know when to include the platinium electrode in cell representations?
Reply 13
can someone help me with this question 5b(i) to 5(b)iv its structure determinationI got the answer right when asked to deduce the structure of P, BUT my structure was the other way around, (so the same as the mark scheme if read in the opposite direction) do you get penalised for this, as i didnt see anything that said you would in the additional comments. if you do, then can someone explain to me how you know which way to draw the structure. thank you! past paper question 5biv: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-QP-JAN13.PDFmark scheme: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-W-MS-JAN13.PDF
This might be silly, but is a mole the same as a mol? I thought mol meant M (and therefore was a unit of conc?)
Original post by ChronicBoredom
This might be silly, but is a mole the same as a mol? I thought mol meant M (and therefore was a unit of conc?)

mol means mole
M means mol dm-3
Can someone help please?
Why is 2-Bromo-3-methylbutane named as such? I thought the halogens had the lowest priority so it should surely be called
3-Bromo-2-methylbutane as the carbons should be numbered to give the alkyl group the lowest number.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by woojinhyuk
Can someone help please?
Why is 2-Bromo-3-methylbutane named as such? I thought the halogens had the lowest priority so it should surely be called
2-Bromo-1-methylbutane as the carbons should be named to give the alkyl group the lowest number. Also, do you need to write the one in when naming molecules like this?

1-methylbutane is called pentane
Original post by TeachChemistry
1-methylbutane is called pentane

Sorry. I meant why is it not called
3-Bromo-2-methylbutane
Original post by woojinhyuk
Sorry. I meant why is it not called
3-Bromo-2-methylbutane

Substituents in alphabetical order (as you have done) then lowest numbers assigned overall in order. If you do it the other way round in an exam I doubt you'd be penalised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending