The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Computer science - employment after graduating from Qmul

Hey guys, i applied to study compsci at queen mary from this September. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out with them that would be awesome, if you don't mind

Do you know how easy/hard it is to get employed after graduating from qmul in compsci? Something i'm really worried about is not being able to get employed after graduating I've seen statistics saying like 90+% of students become employed withing 6 months etc, but how accurate are they? Because it seems to me that there's so many people graduating every year, how can there possibly even be enough jobs to go around? I've gotten so worried that i was thinking of switching my degree choice to biology and then become a teacher just to be safe after graduating. For the last few months I've had a part time job at Tesco's and one thing I've learned is that i do not want to do this job full time at all!

Also, how is Qmul for compsci? In general, is it a good uni?
Compsci lecturers, are they good? Do they teach you programming well or is it a lot of self study?
How hard is the compsci degree?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hey guys, i applied to study compsci at queen mary from this September. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out with them that would be awesome, if you don't mind

Do you know how easy/hard it is to get employed after graduating from qmul in compsci? Something i'm really worried about is not being able to get employed after graduating I've seen statistics saying like 90+% of students become employed withing 6 months etc, but how accurate are they? Because it seems to me that there's so many people graduating every year, how can there possibly even be enough jobs to go around? I've gotten so worried that i was thinking of switching my degree choice to biology and then become a teacher just to be safe after graduating. For the last few months I've had a part time job at Tesco's and one thing I've learned is that i do not want to do this job full time at all!

Also, how is Qmul for compsci? In general, is it a good uni?
Compsci lecturers, are they good? Do they teach you programming well or is it a lot of self study?
How hard is the compsci degree?

Thanks!

Hey! I find this page really helpful : http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80043.html
If you click the 'profiles' or 'graduate employment tab' then you can find out more! Hope this helps :smile: Hopefully someone who studies the subject will be able to give you more of an insight into what the course itself is actually like -Sarah
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hey! I find this page really helpful : http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80043.html
If you click the 'profiles' or 'graduate employment tab' then you can find out more! Hope this helps :smile: Hopefully someone who studies the subject will be able to give you more of an insight into what the course itself is actually like -Sarah

Thanks for responding and trying to help me out. Yeah i've seen that, thanks for sending it though. Yeah will do, i'll try ask a compsci student.
I'm a compsci graduate from this very uni, a year ago. I've only racked up three months of work since, and I certainly don't blame QM or the course, merely the fact I wasn't proactive enough. Getting a First means nothing if you don't have the skills that employers look for, most of which won't be taught in a school or uni.
Thanks for responding and trying to help me out. Yeah i've seen that, thanks for sending it though. Yeah will do, i'll try ask a compsci student.
The thing with comp sci is that to get employed you usually have to be really good at programming. However, if all fails you could just become a comp sci teacher, they are very low in supply and currently have a high demand.
Original post by shawn_o1
I'm a compsci graduate from this very uni, a year ago. I've only racked up three months of work since, and I certainly don't blame QM or the course, merely the fact I wasn't proactive enough. Getting a First means nothing if you don't have the skills that employers look for, most of which won't be taught in a school or uni.

Ah ok, what kind of work is it? how is the job hunting going, like what are you doing in the mean time?

What would you suggest for someone like me, just starting off uni, what can i do to prepare myself before graduating?

What about other class mates, did they find it difficult to attain a job? Did they find any that was compsci related?

Thanks for responding, but now your comment has made me more worried and i think i'm leaning towards doing a bio degree like i mentioned lol.

Thanks, i hope you find work!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by life.of.pablo
The thing with comp sci is that to get employed you usually have to be really good at programming. However, if all fails you could just become a comp sci teacher, they are very low in supply and currently have a high demand.

are you studying compsci?
Ah ok, what kind of work is it? how is the job hunting going, like what are you doing in the mean time?

What would you suggest for someone like me, just starting off uni, what can i do to prepare myself before graduating?

What about other class mates, did they find it difficult to attain a job? Did they find any that was compsci related?

Thanks for responding, but now your comment has made me more worried and i think i'm leaning towards doing a bio degree like i mentioned lol.

Thanks, i hope you find work!

I've sadly not kept in touch with coursemates since graduating, but their superior capability to expand their networks mean they've probably entered their new jobs the moment their final exam passed, or found work within three months. (Me - it took seven).
Whichever course you're doing, make sure you know what to do when you graduate, and spend all your time in between uni terms working towards it. Also be proactive during uni, such as becoming a student rep or ambassador.
Original post by shawn_o1
I've sadly not kept in touch with coursemates since graduating, but their superior capability to expand their networks mean they've probably entered their new jobs the moment their final exam passed, or found work within three months. (Me - it took seven).
Whichever course you're doing, make sure you know what to do when you graduate, and spend all your time in between uni terms working towards it. Also be proactive during uni, such as becoming a student rep or ambassador.

Good to hear you got a job! Thanks for the advice!
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work is it?
Good to hear you got a job! Thanks for the advice!
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work is it?

It was an "Analyst/Programmer" role - I sadly couldn't keep hold of it for more than three months due to disciplinary issues and must now look again. But when I was looking prior to that role, I just applied to any job I could find that I "sort of" took interest in. Which then posed problems during the interview stage as I could never "hit it off" with those that interviewed me. It's a tough world out there, when you don't sound like a driven, ambitious person, or know what you're doing, it'll be very difficult to get a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending