The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who does eating behavior, can you tell me what the para ventricular nucleus is and what it has to do with the ventro medical hypothalamus? I lost my bloody notes..
does this sentence make sense?

A major criticism of the evolutionary explanation is that it is deterministic in attmepting to explain behaviour as directed solely through the biological approach with genes and nature.

I got it from a loopa essay but reading back now i'm confused:s-smilie:
Reply 1682
Original post by brown_eyes
Please can you pm me your essay? I'm really stuck :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sent :smile:
Original post by Socychoictraphy
What other IDA would be good for group aggression? I tend to steer clear of generic IDAs like 'this is deterministic as it assumes everyone is determined to do it which is false', hence why i only have one solid IDA in it and a brief mention of the other :/

No, always if possible mention an IDA, IDAs arent supposed to be generic tailor it and contextualise it to the essay, so its determinsitic to assume that the group displays of aggression is evolutionary and we are simply mechinical beings witth no free wil of our own, which is false otherwise actions such as the holocaust warefare can be excused and blame it on evolution. Something like that

Gender bias? Beta bias? No studies really done on women assumes men and women are the same?

You have reductionism and culture bias throw in a few others.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
No, always if possible mention an IDA, IDAs arent supposed to be generic tailor it and contextualise it to the essay, so its determinsitic to assume that the group displays of aggression is evolutionary and we are simply mechinical beings witth no free wil of our own, which is false otherwise actions such as the holocaust warefare can be excused and blame it on evolution. Something like that

Gender bias? Beta bias? No studies really done on women assumes men and women are the same?

What other IDA would be good for group aggression? I tend to steer clear of generic IDAs like 'this is deterministic as it assumes everyone is determined to do it which is false', hence why i only have one solid IDA in it and a brief mention of the other :/

I wouldn't do this. I'd just contextualise your other point. There's no benefit to having more than two IDA points, in fact in the text book it states you should not have more than two strong points
Original post by A-LJLB
I wouldn't do this. I'd just contextualise your other point. There's no benefit to having more than two IDA points, in fact in the text book it states you should not have more than two strong points

His other one wasnt really developed and shoe horned in the middle of the essay in one of the studies. He only really has one ida point devloped which is why id add another in

"Otherfactors could affects the aggression such as biological and social factors, thetheory ignores this meaning it can be criticised for being reductionist as itis a mono-casual explanation for aggression."

To me thats far too generic and dont think it would really gain credit.
also, will the examiners be really picky if there isn't a good introduction/conclusion? Like for english i'm so used to finishing off essays really nicely and starting them nicely but i don't think i'll have time for that here and i don't think there's any point?
but is it like okay just to finish whatever you're saying then just leave it?
His other one wasnt really developed and shoe horned in the middle of the essay in one of the studies. He only really has one ida point devloped which is why id add another in

"Otherfactors could affects the aggression such as biological and social factors, thetheory ignores this meaning it can be criticised for being reductionist as itis a mono-casual explanation for aggression."

To me thats far too generic and dont think it would really gain credit.

No you're right, but his point won't get credit so he may as well develop it rather than adding another one in or remove it altogether and add a different one

I wouldent say its beta biased because there is a lot of research to support the view that group displays of aggression wouldent be beneficial for females.. but definitely gender bias as it still cant explain the differences, and account for those few females who do go to war e.g. dahomey rangers who captured a large part of north Africa.. and went to war
Original post by A-LJLB
No you're right, but his point won't get credit so he may as well develop it rather than adding another one in or remove it altogether and add a different one

Thats true, id either remove it and add it at the end to make it better read for the examiner to identify clearly where his IDA is. If not i think a deterministic point is suited here as well
Original post by Anymorefor123
I wouldent say its beta biased because there is a lot of research to support the view that group displays of aggression wouldent be beneficial for females.. but definitely gender bias as it still cant explain the differences, and account for those few females who do go to war e.g. dahomey rangers who captured a large part of north Africa.. and went to war

I dont think in the essay hes mentioned anything to do with female aggression. Isnt beta bias where theory assumes men and women are the same and applies males behavior to females, and thinks its the same? So if he hasnt researched anything that explains females he could criticize the theory?
Original post by evekay
also, will the examiners be really picky if there isn't a good introduction/conclusion? Like for english i'm so used to finishing off essays really nicely and starting them nicely but i don't think i'll have time for that here and i don't think there's any point?

Not really, i dont think thats ever been a big issue
are people really memorizing entire essays of by heart? ive never been told to do this, its dificult enough memorizing studies and content let alone entire esssays! im learning points for a01, and then some points for a02/3, thats it

im studying bio rhythms, gender and aggression for unit three, depression media and research methods for unit 4 x
MEDIA
Discuss what research studies have told us about the positive effects of computer and/or video games on behaviour. 4+6. Does anyone knew what the A01 would be and the A02.

Is it study and then general evaluation such as methodological issues?
Thats true, id either remove it and add it at the end to make it better read for the examiner to identify clearly where his IDA is. If not i think a deterministic point is suited here as well

Original post by A-LJLB

I'm going to take that sentence and put it at the end. How should i add to it? So far i have this:

Another issue is reductionism. The theory focuses solely on evolution, completely oversimplifying a complex phenomenon by ignoring other factors such as cultural and social factors.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm going to take that sentence and put it at the end. How should i add to it? So far i have this:

Another issue is reductionism. Thetheory focuses solely on evolution, completely oversimplifying a complexphenomenon by ignoring other factors such as cultural and social factors.

Still generic dont use bigger words or try and make things sound better, make it relevant its reductionist because it doesnt consider the fact observable behaviour could be imitated and thus a factor leading to group displays of aggresion. Or stress levels and mood affecting a persons likelihood of aggression. GIve real factors and examples and link it.
Original post by evekay

No, just jump in and answer the question as you won't get any points for an introduction or conclusion.
Original post by miajohnsonhall
are people really memorizing entire essays of by heart? ive never been told to do this, its dificult enough memorizing studies and content let alone entire esssays! im learning points for a01, and then some points for a02/3, thats it

im studying bio rhythms, gender and aggression for unit three, depression media and research methods for unit 4 x

Same haha I'm just learning separate points. I think my brain would explode if I tried to memorise every single essay.
Original post by miajohnsonhall

I think most including myself are memrozing otherwise in the exam its a struggle to structure your essay and make it flow, if you have an essay in your head youre just writing everything down compared to thinking about does a01 go here, should a02 go here etc,

Really what youre saying doesnt make sense lol? Were really learning the same as you but just in a coherent order where we can regurgitate the info rather than think about it.
Original post by Oiseaux
No, just jump in and answer the question as you won't get any points for an introduction or conclusion.

thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending