The Student Room Group

2004 Mercedes Benz S Class (W220)

I've always wanted to run a big barge and like the look of these.

2004 onwards has the galvansied body that isn't as prone to rust as earlier models.

Anyone here ran one?
I doubt it, most of us here are under 60 years old
I havent had one but it should be a good car.
(edited 2 years ago)
When it goes wrong it will be incredibly expensive. It'll be expensive to run too with a bigger engine and expensive to insure. If you can afford it, then why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
the insurance on that is going to be more than the actual car is worth tbh
Reply 5
Original post by money-for-all

Worth £4k

Insurance £700
Original post by money-for-all

If you have lots of NCB or driving for a long time, the insurance is not expensive.
Original post by Drex50
Worth £4k

Insurance £700

How did you get it so cheap? How many years ncb?
Reply 8
Original post by Zachary T-H
How did you get it so cheap? How many years ncb?

3 years. Aviva
Original post by Drex50
3 years. Aviva

Nice, looking to insure an Audi A4 and have 2 years and have been quoted quite a lot. I'll take a look
Original post by Drex50
I've always wanted to run a big barge and like the look of these.

2004 onwards has the galvansied body that isn't as prone to rust as earlier models.

Anyone here ran one?

i haven't ran one but my uncle has got one it's a 2006 diesel and he admits that all the power he could ever want on such a car
Had one, amazing vehicles but be careful round the caughts, however it never caught me out just power slides
Parents had one for a while, it was a S600, one of the last ones before they discontinued the V12.

It was a very nice car when new and a nicer car to be driven in rather than to drive.

My parents were life long Mercedes owners, this was the one car they were not too impressed with, poor reliability and many components failed to it and weren't easy to replace.

If you are buying one that is this old, make sure you get one that has been very well taken care off and absolutely everything on it works perfectly. Then after buying better hope that the air suspension doesn't die on you as that won't be cheap to fix.

Personally, I'd buy a Jaguar XJ instead, way more fun to drive and less cumbersome a car. Cheaper to maintain too, in UK at least.
Reply 13
Original post by Alfissti
Parents had one for a while, it was a S600, one of the last ones before they discontinued the V12.

It was a very nice car when new and a nicer car to be driven in rather than to drive.

My parents were life long Mercedes owners, this was the one car they were not too impressed with, poor reliability and many components failed to it and weren't easy to replace.

If you are buying one that is this old, make sure you get one that has been very well taken care off and absolutely everything on it works perfectly. Then after buying better hope that the air suspension doesn't die on you as that won't be cheap to fix.

Personally, I'd buy a Jaguar XJ instead, way more fun to drive and less cumbersome a car. Cheaper to maintain too, in UK at least.

Why is the Jag less cumbersome? They are a similar size

And why cheaper to maintain?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending