The Student Room Group

Failed re submission

I've just been informed today that I am being removed from my course pending ratified marks. I was unable to submit first time due to technical error (the submitting system wouldn't let me submit) and had to re submit a month ago. The critiquing was very short, he didn't think I appropriately structured the essay in terms of the questions, but that was his only critique. There was also my module teachers name on it, but there were no comments from her and no peer mark (that I could see). I'm quite upset as I'm at the end of my second year now, and completely unsure of what to do. I'm going to try and actually see the marker and get his reasoning behind the grading. While I understand academically his critique, I don't feel like I did badly enough to fail (I got 34%) and I am trying to get some proof reading done by one of the other lecturers of the module, but otherwise I feel like I'm at a total loss.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Absorbaloff
I've just been informed today that I am being removed from my course pending ratified marks. I was unable to submit first time due to technical error (the submitting system wouldn't let me submit) and had to re submit a month ago. The critiquing was very short, he didn't think I appropriately structured the essay in terms of the questions, but that was his only critique. There was also my module teachers name on it, but there were no comments from her and no peer mark (that I could see). I'm quite upset as I'm at the end of my second year now, and completely unsure of what to do. I'm going to try and actually see the marker and get his reasoning behind the grading. While I understand academically his critique, I don't feel like I did badly enough to fail (I got 34%) and I am trying to get some proof reading done by one of the other lecturers of the module, but otherwise I feel like I'm at a total loss.

Is there definite proof it was moderated? did they accept your ec's for a technical issue, if so shouldnt you get another attempt?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Is there definite proof it was moderated? did they accept your ec's for a technical issue, if so shouldnt you get another attempt?

Hi, thanks for the reply. The appeal board did not accept my extenuating circumstances over technical errors, they said there wasn't enough evidence for them to grant me an appeal.

Because it was a failed essay, I assume it must have been moderated as I think it's procedure, but I see no peer comments in the peer comments section and I'm unsure if the comments provided on the feedback are solely from the primary marker or a mixture from both. I am still technically awaiting ratified results, but I doubt the board will raise the marks by 6%, at the most they only ever raise by 3 or 4.
Original post by Marty'sCalvin's
Hi, thanks for the reply. The appeal board did not accept my extenuating circumstances over technical errors, they said there wasn't enough evidence for them to grant me an appeal.

Because it was a failed essay, I assume it must have been moderated as I think it's procedure, but I see no peer comments in the peer comments section and I'm unsure if the comments provided on the feedback are solely from the primary marker or a mixture from both. I am still technically awaiting ratified results, but I doubt the board will raise the marks by 6%, at the most they only ever raise by 3 or 4.

do you know what your assessment board says about marginal fails? it's not something all universities do, but some would allow say one 39% but as long as your average was over 40% they'd allow you to continue on the course. I would wait for the ratified results as there would be more comments there i would have though, worst case scenario many unis allow 3rd sittings if you're willing to pay a fee.
do you know what your assessment board says about marginal fails? it's not something all universities do, but some would allow say one 39% but as long as your average was over 40% they'd allow you to continue on the course. I would wait for the ratified results as there would be more comments there i would have though, worst case scenario many unis allow 3rd sittings if you're willing to pay a fee.

I think my university falls under the 39% rule. My uni does not allow repeats, nor does it allow 3rd resits unless its under certain circumstances. All I can do now is get it proofread, talk to the marker and wait for results. I study nursing and was supposed to be on placement, so this has cancelled everything out for me.
I think my university falls under the 39% rule. My uni does not allow repeats, nor does it allow 3rd resits unless its under certain circumstances. All I can do now is get it proofread, talk to the marker and wait for results. I study nursing and was supposed to be on placement, so this has cancelled everything out for me.

are you a student member of a union, they might be able to help?
Reply 7
Which uni is this? it sounds so unfair to blame you for their system failure
are you a student member of a union, they might be able to help?

Im a member of my university's student union, and they were really helpful when I appealed previously, but I don't think they can help me in this case unless I choose to make an appeal to overturn the decision to remove me from the course and to do that I would have to make an academic appeal against the marking which is a big risk.
Im a member of my university's student union, and they were really helpful when I appealed previously, but I don't think they can help me in this case unless I choose to make an appeal to overturn the decision to remove me from the course and to do that I would have to make an academic appeal against the marking which is a big risk.

Better to take that risk rather than get removed from the course. Do you happen to be able to ask to see fellow students work to compare yours to it (seeing someone's work who got something in the 40's would be especially helpful), just to be sure there's no inconsistencies between markers.
Better to take that risk rather than get removed from the course. Do you happen to be able to ask to see fellow students work to compare yours to it (seeing someone's work who got something in the 40's would be especially helpful), just to be sure there's no inconsistencies between markers.

If I have to appeal then I will but I do need to have it proofread by other lecturers. I do believe my marker is harsh, and I genuinely don't think I should have failed. The other name in the feedback was my module teachers, but I can't tell if she had any input in the marking. I'm not sure at how I would be able to see the work of others, I really do want to discuss the thinking behind the grading with the marker, but I doubt it will come to any use.
If I have to appeal then I will but I do need to have it proofread by other lecturers. I do believe my marker is harsh, and I genuinely don't think I should have failed. The other name in the feedback was my module teachers, but I can't tell if she had any input in the marking. I'm not sure at how I would be able to see the work of others, I really do want to discuss the thinking behind the grading with the marker, but I doubt it will come to any use.

I believe if she had an input she should have signed to say that she agreed with the mark, better to question the marker about it first than go straight to an appeal i think.
I believe if she had an input she should have signed to say that she agreed with the mark, better to question the marker about it first than go straight to an appeal i think.

Yes, I'm really unsure if its been moderated, but if there is another name it usually means it has been peer marked. Ratified results don't come out for another 2-3 weeks, I'm trying to make sure that the essay can stand to pass before I consider a appeal. I'm hoping the board maybe raise the ratified marks, but I doubt they will raise it by that much.

Thanks so much for your help, Claire!
Yes, I'm really unsure if its been moderated, but if there is another name it usually means it has been peer marked. Ratified results don't come out for another 2-3 weeks, I'm trying to make sure that the essay can stand to pass before I consider a appeal. I'm hoping the board maybe raise the ratified marks, but I doubt they will raise it by that much.

Thanks so much for your help, Claire!

If you look in your module or course handbook, there should be a moderation board date. But from the sounds of it, the board wont have looked at it yet if the results arent out for a couple of weeks, so there's still hope.
If you look in your module or course handbook, there should be a moderation board date. But from the sounds of it, the board wont have looked at it yet if the results arent out for a couple of weeks, so there's still hope.

I mean, I'm not sure if its been moderated by another lecturer to be peer marked, which it probably has been. I don't think it's been moderated by the board yet, as they would give out ratified marks immediately then.
My unis policy is to contact the lecturer straight away and let them know that the system is down and send an email attachment of your work then submit when you can...

Did you contact your lecturer?

Did anyone else manage to submit?
Original post by Absorbaloff

that sucks can you not appeal the grade otherwise you need to accept 34% is a fail and while I do feel sorry for you you did fail.

You do have two more years funding open to you so The way i see it you have 4 options open to you.

1/ Try and gain entry in to the second year of a related or the same course at another uni (the units you've passed should be transferable.)

2/ Go through the OU .

3/Take an HND it's 2 years and employers do like it but you have to pass everything.

4/Get a job.

don't try for any of the top 10 or russet group unis you won't get in but places like Bournemouth or Herts or Solent places like that might let you in the chances of you being allowed on to you old course are slim sorry about that.

nursing is an NHS funded course so if you decide to change tack you might still have 4 years of funding open to you.
(edited 7 years ago)

I got an assignment raised by 30% once.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I got an assignment raised by 30% once.

I think it's really unlikely I'll be able to get the grade raised by that much, it would be a miracle! I'm mostly likely going to see if I can transfer my credits to my local university and see if I can repeat second year, or if I'm really lucky get into third year (very unlikely).

Quick Reply

Latest