The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatpandaAC
I would like to know what problems you encounter when you are cooking at Uni. Or problems that prevent you from cooking.

when your flatmates borrow your stuff and dont return it
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
when your flatmates borrow your stuff and dont return it

That I agree with, it so annoying! I like to cook and also keep my cooking stuff in good nick. Do you have any solutions to deal with this?
That I agree with, it so annoying! I like to cook and also keep my cooking stuff in good nick. Do you have any solutions to deal with this?

I dont live in halls anymore but towards the end i kept my stuff in my room, replacing everything was getting too expensive.
Reply 4
I dont live in halls anymore but towards the end i kept my stuff in my room, replacing everything was getting too expensive.

Yeah I can imagine it getting very expensive, That is a good idea. :smile: Did you ever get your stuff back?
Yeah I can imagine it getting very expensive, That is a good idea. :smile: Did you ever get your stuff back?

I didnt get it all back, what i did get back was mostly damaged or incredibly dirty.
Reply 6
I would like to know what problems you encounter when you are cooking at Uni. Or problems that prevent you from cooking.

Roommates.
When the kitchen is so messy that there's not enough room for you to cook a decent meal, and when you share stuff with your housemates but they rarely wash up & you run out of everything & end up cleaning up after them. Apart from that, I managed to cook at uni just fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cleaning
Reply 9
Original post by Josb
Roommates.

haha Yeah I can relate. Is it that roommates keep asking to get take out? or do you not get on with them?
Reply 10
I didnt get it all back, what i did get back was mostly damaged or incredibly dirty.

Ah that sucks. Did you ask them to replace it or did you let it slide?
Reply 11
haha Yeah I can relate. Is it that roommates keep asking to get take out? or do you not get on with them?

In my experience, roommates never cleaned stuff. I often had to clean pans before and after eating.
Ah that sucks. Did you ask them to replace it or did you let it slide?

They claimed to have absolutely no cash so if i asked they wouldnt replace a thing, considering i lived with 3rd years in halls, it wasnt behaviour i had expected from 21 year old.
Reply 13
Original post by BlueSheep32
When the kitchen is so messy that there's not enough room for you to cook a decent meal, and when you share stuff with your housemates but they rarely wash up & you run out of everything & end up cleaning up after them. Apart from that, I managed to cook at uni just fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that I can see being a huge factor. I like having space to cook and also cooking in a cleanish environment. Did you have a solution to the cleaning? like a rota?
When you can't use the kitchen because your flatmates are having a dinner party and using the whole kitchen to cook and the table for their guests to sit at.
So if you're cooking for guests please be considerate and tell your flatmates so they can cook a bit earlier. It's just polite really :smile:
Otherwise you can just feel awkward and in the way. Which is sad as no one should feel like that in their own home!
Reply 15
They claimed to have absolutely no cash so if i asked they wouldnt replace a thing, considering i lived with 3rd years in halls, it wasnt behaviour i had expected from 21 year old.

That's not cool. Could the authorities in halls help you out? Yeah I would have thought people older then me would have some housekeeping by then. Sorry about all the questions. I'm going to be making a guide about cooking at uni and the problems and solutions.
That's not cool. Could the authorities in halls help you out? Yeah I would have thought people older then me would have some housekeeping by then. Sorry about all the questions. I'm going to be making a guide about cooking at uni and the problems and solutions.

Yeah that's not halls fault that i lived with inconsiderate people, they couldn't even be bothered to empty the bin, in the end i gave up and spent most of the my time at my boyfriends.
Original post by soup-dragon
When you can't use the kitchen because your flatmates are having a dinner party and using the whole kitchen to cook and the table for their guests to sit at.

At least that's classier than coming home after staying at a friends and the kitchen counters and table are covered in alcohol and takeaway boxes but i can see why that's inconsiderate of them:P
Yeah I had a lot of general mess too, from what it sound like I think it's a bit unavoidable in halls! Although that doesn't sound great, sorry about that.
Yeah that's not halls fault that i lived with inconsiderate people, they couldn't even be bothered to empty the bin.

Yep the bin got so horrible at times!

Latest

Trending

Trending