The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to go to Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Someboady
How much of a difference is there between the way Oxford and Cambridge look at GCSE's? What are the average number of A*'s at GCSE and how much exactly do they look at the quality of your secondary school? I think this will play a factor on which I choose to apply to.

For which course?
Original post by nottherightkey
I was extremely lazy, among other things. During my GCSEs in high school I didn't study at all because I was a 'know it all' and I thought I didn't need to study. How wrong I was. When I came time for me to retake, I pretty much done the same things over and over. It wasn't until the very end, just before my 2nd retake exams I realised how much of an idiot I was being. So I said **** it and put all my time in the physics and maths to get Bs...

After that I knew I wanted to do maths at A-level so I spent the WHOLE holiday studying A-level maths. Not a fun summer holiday, but I think it was worth it in the end. So by the time September came I was already fine with AS maths, so I focused on physics. I done the exact same thing the next year with A2.

I personally like to focus on one thing at a time and essentially 'master' it, that is, feel comfortable with it, before moving on to something else.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining.

In response to your question, I'm only a GCSE student, so you should probably ignore what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. I think you're probably okay, because - as everyone else has said - A levels are more important than GCSEs. Also, I consider myself quite stupid, but I'm getting decent grades, simply because I'm revising. So, I think that all universities such as Cambridge really want are students who are committed to their studies, and this is clearly apparent from what you've said to me as well as your grades.

Also, Computer Science, woo! :five:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
For which course?

Computer Science or potentially the backup = engineering. :smile:
Reply 23
Computer Science or potentially the backup = engineering. :smile:

For Oxford the MAT (or PAT for engineering) is more important that GCSEs, and for Cambridge GCSEs aren't that significant anyway... and again the CSAT (or Engineering Assessment) will come into play.

Pick the course, not the university's admissions process, that best suits you.
Original post by jneill
For Oxford the MAT (or PAT for engineering) is more important that GCSEs, and for Cambridge GCSEs aren't that significant anyway... and again the CSAT (or Engineering Assessment) will come into play.

Pick the course, not the university's admissions process, that best suits you.

Thanks

Would you say Oxbridge have started to put more weight on GCSE's considering the A-level reform?
Reply 25
Thanks

Would you say Oxbridge have started to put more weight on GCSE's considering the A-level reform?

Definitely not. Cambridge, for one, have said they aren't good predictors of Tripos success so they aren't going to give them more weight now.
Original post by jneill
Definitely not. Cambridge, for one, have said they aren't good predictors of Tripos success so they aren't going to give them more weight now.

Ah, thanks very much! :smile:
Original post by nottherightkey
Hey guys, I'm new here so forgive me; I just made this account a few minutes ago.

Last year I finished my A2 level but I didn't apply to university in that year but I will be applying this year for 2017 entry. If any of you are curious I had to go abroad for a while for personal reasons, so I effectively took a sort of gap year, but because of the timing I have to apply this year and enter next September.

Anyway, I want to go to Cambridge, to study either Engineering or Computer Science. For A-levels I studied Maths, Further Maths, and Physics to A2 and I done Economics AS.

Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Economics - B (AS only)

Looking at Cambridge's entry requirements these seem fine, but the thing is I'm worried about my GCSE grades. I had a really bad time with GCSEs and retook them TWICE and even then I didn't do that well and barely got 5.

English - C
Maths - B
Physics - B
Chemistry - C
Biology - D
ICT - C

So I'm wondering if Cambridge (and other highly ranked universities) would scrutinise these GCSEs despite the fact I achieved 3 A*s at A-level? I've heard Cambridge aren't as harsh as Oxford when it comes to GCSEs but I'm still quite worried.

Imperial College would be my second choice but you see they have a minimum requirement of grade B for English GCSE so that's out of the picture...

Thanks for reading.

GO FOR IT!! you get 5 uni choices so even if you don't get in it's better than not applying and always having the little "what if" in the back of your mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending