The Student Room Group

Games Design at Sheffield Hallam University - INTRO

Hi all, just a thread to see if any other students on the games design course at Sheffield Hallam are about the forums to introduce themselves etc.

My name is Joe, I am 19 and currently live in Northampton and will be moving into accommodation for the duration of my stay at Sheffield Hallam.

It would be great to get to know some of you! :smile:
Hi! I'm also going to be doing Games design at Sheffield Hallam!

I'm Emily, i'm 17 (youngest in my year because my birthday is in august ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) and i live near peterborough.

I have to ask, have you done much computer-generated art? I'm currently doing an art A-level and i haven't dabbled much in using my computer to do stuff and i'm a bit nervous about it. I'm a good artist (at least i think i am ahahah) and i think the skills will be quite transferable??

It's good to find someone that will be on the course!!!!
Original post by Emily_Wilson
Hi! I'm also going to be doing Games design at Sheffield Hallam!

I'm Emily, i'm 17 (youngest in my year because my birthday is in august ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) and i live near peterborough.

I have to ask, have you done much computer-generated art? I'm currently doing an art A-level and i haven't dabbled much in using my computer to do stuff and i'm a bit nervous about it. I'm a good artist (at least i think i am ahahah) and i think the skills will be quite transferable??

It's good to find someone that will be on the course!!!!

Hi Emily! thanks for the response!

I have done a fair amount of 3D art and have done some (but limited) traditional and 2D art with a computer. I am not much of an artist in the traditional sense, I can draw a crude sketch but that is about my current limit at the moment. :-)
I have made some icons and other art using the adobe products but generally I don't class myself as an "artist".

I would not worry about it, having a strong base in traditional and non-computer based art is generally a very good skill to have (so you have one over me at the moment haha :P) It's cool to see that our backgrounds are different though, makes for more fun!
(oh and yeah, the skills are very transferable from what I know if you are looking to pursue that side of things! :smile:
how nervous are you about starting uni?? i feel like im a mix of excited and terrified!!!
how nervous are you about starting uni?? i feel like im a mix of excited and terrified!!!

I am incredibly nervous! :-) but I am sure everyone is hehe.
Its gonna be fun though, Have you had a look at accommodation in Sheffield? I have been to see some and have found a few that I like but its hard to make a decision :P
sorry for the slow reply i'm not have active on here ahahah

yeah i've already applied for accommodation! i put the Pinnacles for my first choice and victoria hall! i found it difficult too, i had to go through them all with my mum and decide. i would recommend looking through the website! they have all the details on the locations and pictures!

applying for accommodation makes you realise how real it is (╯°□°)╯
Yeah I can agree with that! I applied for Fenton House as my first, undergoing a huge revamp for this september. Went and saw the rooms and the facilities as is and was impressed, will be an awesome place to be when the refurb happens :smile:
I was considering fenton house too! Most of the accommodation looks really nice!! Are you doing a-levels or did you take a gap year??
I was considering fenton house too! Most of the accommodation looks really nice!! Are you doing a-levels or did you take a gap year??

I finished IT in college and then have been working full time for a year for Barclaycard in the It department which has been fun!
(good for the CV anyway :P)
ooh very nice! i have to ask as it's my no.1 right now ~ thoughts on overwatch????? ◕_◕ ༽つ
ooh very nice! i have to ask as it's my no.1 right now ~ thoughts on overwatch????? ◕_◕ ༽つ

I have not had chance to play Overwatch yet ;-/
At the moment I am just playing the newest installment to the Total War series and Battlefield 4. (let's not mention Hardline :P)

Although I have recently been playing all sorts lately XD
Is it a good game?
my friend pressured me into pre-ordering it and its so good!! its so pretty and theres enough characters to enjoy different playstyles but not too many to be overwhelmed by, plus the community isn't toxic (which is a change from heroes of the storm)
because of exams at the minute i haven't been able to play many other games without feeling guilty and because each match isn't that long so its a nice break. i've been enjoying it so much ~ though i have like 10 other games installed on my computer i need to get through
my friend pressured me into pre-ordering it and its so good!! its so pretty and theres enough characters to enjoy different playstyles but not too many to be overwhelmed by, plus the community isn't toxic (which is a change from heroes of the storm)
because of exams at the minute i haven't been able to play many other games without feeling guilty and because each match isn't that long so its a nice break. i've been enjoying it so much ~ though i have like 10 other games installed on my computer i need to get through

Yeah, that is one good thing about working is not having to take exams XD
(I really don't like exams :P)
I may have to look into it soon then, sounds pretty good!

Quick Reply

Latest