The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century B7 C7 P7 - W/C - Monday 20th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richpanda
Okay so what is it that you struggle with for titrations? I can remember finding the equations difficult because I didn't understand the units, or what was going on.

Don't worry about the moles bit.

Yeah the units and equations, as well as the process generally.
Original post by Speedbird129
Yeah the units and equations, as well as the process generally.

This will be hard to explain over TSR. The CGP guide might be good, I don't know,
This will be hard to explain over TSR. The CGP guide might be good, I don't know,

Ok, don't worry. I'll read over the revision guide again but thanks anyway. Do you have any tips to revise and do well in this exam?
Reply 43
I find B7 an P7 pretty easy, but C7:confused: It's mainly because my whole class pretty much self taught C1-C7 due to having a poor teacher.
@richpanda Do you have any tips to revise and do well in this exam?
@richpanda Do you have any tips to revise and do well in this exam?

How I revised for C7 was by writing out subheadings for the different sub-topics, such as esters, weak/strong acids, green chemistry, and then wrote notes for each part, and did past papers.

C7 is seriously difficult, don't get too upset if you're only getting 40/60 or whatever. The specimen paper for C7 is as hard if not harder than plenty of the things you would do in AS chemistry.
Reply 46
I find P7 the hardest! It is mainly because we havent even finished covering the unit at school! But I finished going through it individually ages ago which I believe is better considering we had a really poor teacher. There are some topics such as the nuclear fusion and the pp cycle I just dont get, do any of you have any tips for revising on that?
Reply 47
How I revised for C7 was by writing out subheadings for the different sub-topics, such as esters, weak/strong acids, green chemistry, and then wrote notes for each part, and did past papers.

C7 is seriously difficult, don't get too upset if you're only getting 40/60 or whatever. The specimen paper for C7 is as hard if not harder than plenty of the things you would do in AS chemistry.

That's a relief :biggrin: I was wondering how hard chemistry would get next year!
Original post by kennethdcharles
That's a relief :biggrin: I was wondering how hard chemistry would get next year!

It's got more maths in it, which is good. Just more interesting stuff in general.
I remember when I first came into high school, physics was my worst subject. I just couldn't think properly and answer questions! Now it's one of my best subjects :smile: Guess I hit a logical growth spurt.
Reply 50
It's got more maths in it, which is good. Just more interesting stuff in general.

Please can you help me with C7? I'm (hopefully) doing chemistry for a level but I'm so stressed for this, I feel as if I know nothing at all :frown:

If I start proper revising for the 7s tomorrow is that enough time?
Original post by g3ob
Please can you help me with C7? I'm (hopefully) doing chemistry for a level but I'm so stressed for this, I feel as if I know nothing at all :frown:

If I start proper revising for the 7s tomorrow is that enough time?

Yes it's more than enough time. You're going to have to be specific in what you want me to help you with.
Reply 52
Yes it's more than enough time. You're going to have to be specific in what you want me to help you with.

Thank you, I struggle most with remembering reactions of alcohols with sodium and air, ways to produce alcohol and the disadvantages and advantages of those methods and methods for preparing esters.
Original post by g3ob
Thank you, I struggle most with remembering reactions of alcohols with sodium and air, ways to produce alcohol and the disadvantages and advantages of those methods and methods for preparing esters.

Just a quick one. Ethanol (which is an alcohol) can be made by fermentation or biomass. The fermentation method is more harmful for the environment as it produces carbon dioxide whereas the biomass method doesn't produce anything harmful. Hydrogen can be recycled into the Haber process and then in the next stage Ethanol is produced. However for this method, the raw materials, such as crude oil and natural gas will eventually run out. The fermentation process won't run out of raw materials because the sugar beet and yeast used for it grow quickly. Just a quickie but the CGP revision guide is good to revise from.
C7 and B7 is okay but I find P7 the hardest especially the pressure/temperature etc. equations. Any tips would be appreciated:smile:

Pos
ted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ananya._c
C7 and B7 is okay but I find P7 the hardests epecially the pressure/temperature etc. equations. Any tips would be appreciated:smile:

Pos
ted from TSR Mobile

The pressure, temperature and volume equations are given in the exam paper. You know the constant is whatever isn't in the equation, e.g pressure/temperature=constant, therefore the constant must be the volume. You can then write it as P1/T1=P2/T2. This makes it easier to work out the pressure or volume as you can rearrange it.
The pressure, temperature and volume equations are given in the exam paper. You know the constant is whatever isn't in the equation, e.g pressure/temperature=constant, therefore the constant must be the volume. You can then write it as P1/T1=P2/T2. This makes it easier to work out the pressure or volume as you can rearrange it.

That cleared a lot up, thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Just a quick one. Ethanol (which is an alcohol) can be made by fermentation or biomass. The fermentation method is more harmful for the environment as it produces carbon dioxide whereas the biomass method doesn't produce anything harmful. Hydrogen can be recycled into the Haber process and then in the next stage Ethanol is produced. However for this method, the raw materials, such as crude oil and natural gas will eventually run out. The fermentation process won't run out of raw materials because the sugar beet and yeast used for it grow quickly. Just a quickie but the CGP revision guide is good to revise from.

Thanks and I know but my parents won't get me them :frown:
Original post by g3ob
Thanks and I know but my parents won't get me them :frown:

I don't know how this will work but I could try and give you my account details for the CGP online edition. It probably won't like it but its worth a try?
Reply 59
I don't know how this will work but I could try and give you my account details for the CGP online edition. It probably won't like it but its worth a try?

That's so kind, it would be great if you could, thank you! But if it doesn't work don't worry about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending