The Student Room Group

A level option choices

I have a dilemma! I'm currently in year 11 doing GCSE's and need to pick my A level options. I would like to enter a career in computer science (I think) and therefore have been advised to take Maths and an IT subject such as ICT or Computer Science. I can't take Further Maths along with ICT at my current school as they clash. I would like to go to a top university, such as Oxford or Cambridge, to do computer science and am confident I could get the necessary grades to achieve this. However my problem is that 2 of the 3 options I am planning to take (Maths, Business studies and ICT) are not offered as A levels, Business and ICT are a Cambridge technical and BTEC respectively. I have been in contact with Cambridge university and they said that they would not accept the cam tech and Btec and therefore I would not be able to get into the university.

My other option is to move to a completely new school (Newcastle Sixth Form College) and take the following options: Maths, Business Studies and Computer Science. All of these are A levels therefore I would be able to get into top universities with 2 or 3 A*'s. The only problem is I would have to leave all my friends, take a 20 minute train journey to school each day and pay £500ish for an annual train ticket pass. Additionally, I have never done computer science as a subject and therefore don't know if I'd like it (however I have learned to code at home.)

My question is, what is your advice? Would you stay at the same school and go to an inferior university, change my option choices to A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry which I really don't want to do and would probably get inferior grades) or go to a brand new school which I might end up hating?

Thanks in Advance,
Andy
Reply 1
I'd go to the new school personally but it depends on how much you want to get into Oxbridge. Also don't say all other unis are inferior as there are some amazing places you could go to instead like Imperial, Durham, UCL etc..

If you're REALLY desperate to go to Oxbridge go to the new school but if you were willing to look elsewhere then stay where you are
Reply 2
Original post by AfcFob
I'd go to the new school personally but it depends on how much you want to get into Oxbridge. Also don't say all other unis are inferior as there are some amazing places you could go to instead like Imperial, Durham, UCL etc..

If you're REALLY desperate to go to Oxbridge go to the new school but if you were willing to look elsewhere then stay where you are

I am definitely willing to go to other universities such as Durham but I fear that they will have similar views on Btecs as Oxbridge do.
I'd definitely go for the latter option. Its better to actually know you can achieve your goals and really, if you do end up at a top uni then that £500 pass will pay itself off in due course.
It depends how much you want to study computer science! I applied for computer science this year and all my unis needed maths as a minimum but most of them didn't specify any other subject! The exception was Oxford who "recommended" further maths (i.e. if your school offers it you should take it) so if you're really serious about a "top" uni definitely try and study further. My offers were A*AA-AAB so you don't need perfect grades (even Cambridge is A*A*A) so if you think that's achievable go for A-levels.

It's also important that computer science and ICT are really not the same subject and, for the unis I looked at at least, studying IT would give no more benefit than another subject whereas computer science is seen as advantageous. If you choose to stay at your school, I would definitely take further maths over ICT for this reason- as well as it being an A-level which according to Cambridge is "better".

If I was you, I'd switch schools- the subjects seem better there and it's unikely you'd hate it. And if you do, two years and you're out of there...
Reply 5
Original post by andylowes9
I am definitely willing to go to other universities such as Durham but I fear that they will have similar views on Btecs as Oxbridge do.

If you really fear they will reject you because of a BTEC then pay the £500 and go to the new college
Reply 6
You say two years like it's nothing :s-smilie:
Thanks for the advice! My worry is that I might get an A or B in further maths due to the difficulty but I think I'm going to go to the new school - it's better than being stuck at some shitty uni in 3 years time regretting the options I took.
Original post by somegirlcalledea
It depends how much you want to study computer science! I applied for computer science this year and all my unis needed maths as a minimum but most of them didn't specify any other subject! The exception was Oxford who "recommended" further maths (i.e. if your school offers it you should take it) so if you're really serious about a "top" uni definitely try and study further. My offers were A*AA-AAB so you don't need perfect grades (even Cambridge is A*A*A) so if you think that's achievable go for A-levels.

It's also important that computer science and ICT are really not the same subject and, for the unis I looked at at least, studying IT would give no more benefit than another subject whereas computer science is seen as advantageous. If you choose to stay at your school, I would definitely take further maths over ICT for this reason- as well as it being an A-level which according to Cambridge is "better".

If I was you, I'd switch schools- the subjects seem better there and it's unikely you'd hate it. And if you do, two years and you're out of there...
Move to the new school - sorry but you need to decide whether your friends or your future career is more important - also, you can make new friends.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I was planning on doing computer science at uni, have since changed my mind but to study it at any top uni further maths is highly recommended and for Oxbridge it's essential. I was told also that they much preferred science subjects to humanities like business and so if you're serious about comp sci then I'd reccomend those subjects!
You'd be surprised how fast it goes! And an A is pretty good and most unis recognise that further maths is slightly harder anyway so they might be more lenient if you miss your offer by a grade.

Good luck with whatever you choose and if you want to know anything else about applying for computer science or studying further maths, PM me :smile:
Hi! Im looking at doing computer science too. Just to let you know, ICT doesn't count as really anything to help you into computer science. I'm doing ICT and most unis aren't great fans as its a "soft" subject. If you want oxbridge for CS you are going to have to look at maths, physics and another "hard" subject because of the competition (computer science itself if you can) but often maths is the only necessity for other Russel groups but often business is considered a soft subject so you might want to ask oxbridge if that is likely to get you in.
Reply 11
Thanks for the advice guys! The unanimous decision is to move to the new school which is a big step but i think its the right one😀
Reply 12
Original post by andylowes9
I have a dilemma! I'm currently in year 11 doing GCSE's and need to pick my A level options. I would like to enter a career in computer science (I think) and therefore have been advised to take Maths and an IT subject such as ICT or Computer Science. I can't take Further Maths along with ICT at my current school as they clash. I would like to go to a top university, such as Oxford or Cambridge, to do computer science and am confident I could get the necessary grades to achieve this. However my problem is that 2 of the 3 options I am planning to take (Maths, Business studies and ICT) are not offered as A levels, Business and ICT are a Cambridge technical and BTEC respectively. I have been in contact with Cambridge university and they said that they would not accept the cam tech and Btec and therefore I would not be able to get into the university.

My other option is to move to a completely new school (Newcastle Sixth Form College) and take the following options: Maths, Business Studies and Computer Science. All of these are A levels therefore I would be able to get into top universities with 2 or 3 A*'s. The only problem is I would have to leave all my friends, take a 20 minute train journey to school each day and pay £500ish for an annual train ticket pass. Additionally, I have never done computer science as a subject and therefore don't know if I'd like it (however I have learned to code at home.)

My question is, what is your advice? Would you stay at the same school and go to an inferior university, change my option choices to A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry which I really don't want to do and would probably get inferior grades) or go to a brand new school which I might end up hating?

Thanks in Advance,
Andy

Is it better to be unhappy for two years and go to oxbridge and be happy for the rest of your life or be happy for two years and then always be thinking what if?

Quick Reply

Latest