The Student Room Group

Would you support entirely open borders in Europe?

Poll

Would you support open borders in Europe?

Would you support entirely open borders in Europe, even the UK? And not just open borders to Europeans, but to all the world.
Would you?
Reply 2
Original post by JamesN88
Would you?

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." - Karl Popper

If you want to maintain a liberal society, you need to be careful about the kinds of people you let in. That's why Freetown Christiana still works.
I can't believe anyone who says yes tbh...
Reply 4
Yes! More friends to make :biggrin:

Original post by KingBradly
"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." - Karl Popper

If you want to maintain a liberal society, you need to be careful about the kinds of people you let in. That's why Freetown Christiana still works.

I'll take that as a no then:smile:
Reply 6
I hope there comes a day where everyone who pushed this political agenda can be jailed for treason.
Reply 7
Original post by Jebedee
I hope there comes a day where everyone who pushed this political agenda can be jailed for treason.

That seems a little extreme.
Reply 8
Original post by Jebedee

Oh yes
Not right now, no, but hopefully society will eventually progress so that we are all more tolerant of each other. Of course, we'll also need to develop our security forces and policies.

Of course, society won't progress very fast so long as we have so much childish patriotism(because it IS childish), and idiots blindly hating all immigrants.
Worst idea imaginable. It would lead to irreversible chaos and eventually the collapse of the EU.
Original post by Jazzyboy
Not right now, no, but hopefully society will eventually progress so that we are all more tolerant of each other. Of course, we'll also need to develop our security forces and policies.

Of course, society won't progress very fast so long as we have so much childish patriotism(because it IS childish), and idiots blindly hating all immigrants.

Sure there are patriots about, but overall nationalism has nothing to do with the immigration crisis and our attitudes towards it - nor has racism or xenophobia.

England is the most overcrowded country in Europe. "Population growth is so rapid that four times as many people will soon be crammed in as France and twice as many as Germany. England has overtaken the Netherlands to become second only to tiny Malta as the most densely populated nation in the EU.27" (Dec 2013) - Daily Mail.

We simply realise that too much is too much, as evidenced by the housing crisis, and it's not anything to say that there's too many people.

These new immigrants cost us money. £30,000 per annum per child for education, for example.

And patriotism is not "childish", calling it childish is childish.
I'm fine with the current free movement within the EU and would have quite lax border controls with other wealthy states like the US as well.

With that being said i support even more severe restrictions on immigration from outside the EU and rich states, i would completely cull our immigration from the Arab World and spouse immigration.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm fine with the current free movement within the EU and would have quite lax border controls with other wealthy states like the US as well.

With that being said i support even more severe restrictions on immigration from outside the EU and rich states, i would completely cull our immigration from the Arab World and spouse immigration.

You do realise that our economy has a brain deficit because of the ideology that you're supporting? Cameron is happy to allow as many poles and romas in as he likes
(we don't need unskilled manual labour..we have enough stupid chavs for that)..But restricting highly educated indian, arab and Chinese scientists, doctors and students is what's letting our country down. Theres nothing wrong with arabs and muslims they've been in this country since the 15th century, unfortunately the media always needs a witch hunt.

One thing labour did right was the HSMP program. (highly skilled migration program). So no I'm not up for open borders unless we can choose who can enter based on their economic contribution much like other countries around the world like Australia, their point based system is spot on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
You do realise that our economy has a brain deficit because of the ideology that you're supporting? Cameron is happy to allow as many poles and romas in as he likes
(we don't need unskilled manual labour..we have enough stupid chavs for that)..But restricting highly educated indian, arab and Chinese scientists, doctors and students is what's letting our country down.

If we adopted my approach of reducing border controls with other rich states then those highly educated people could still come from the US, Canada, Australia, South Korea, Japan on a larger scale than they do now. That's a pool of about half a billion people.

Alternatively we could simply make exceptions for those who hold a Phd (dealing with a lot of the scientists issue), we could reduce the number of services the NHS provides (hymen repacements, transgender surgeries) or even fund more training places.
Original post by Rakas21
If we adopted my approach of reducing border controls with other rich states then those highly educated people could still come from the US, Canada, Australia, South Korea, Japan on a larger scale than they do now. That's a pool of about half a billion people.

Alternatively we could simply make exceptions for those who hold a Phd (dealing with a lot of the scientists issue), we could reduce the number of services the NHS provides (hymen repacements, transgender surgeries) or even fund more training places.

Rich states? Have you seen the middle east? LOL...I did edit my post to explain my points further, I agree with some of your points but not with the latter. Its a free country and people have the right to hymen replacements/ transgender surgeries if they wish its their body not yours. As much as I don't like the burqa I believe women have the right to wear it, that's why we fought the Nazis. Freedom of speech and expression. No to fascism.

Note: I know the strain those surgeries put on the NHS, along with tummy tucks and surgeries for obese people, but they have a right to those services. British values 101
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
Rich states? Have you seen the middle east? LOL...I did edit my post to explain my points further, I agree with some of your points but not with the latter. Its a free country and people have the right to hymen replacements/ transgender surgeries if they wish its their body not yours. As much as I don't like the burqa I believe women have the right to wear it, that's why we fought the Nazis. Freedom of speech and expression. No to fascism.

Note: I know the strain those surgeries put on the NHS, along with tummy tucks and surgeries for obese people, but they have a right to those services. British values 101

A few city states and Saudi does not make the Arab World rich as a whole.

I too believe that people should be aloud those things.. i just don't think that i as a taxpayer should pay for them.
Original post by Mathemagicien
That includes a lot of people. It'll be very expensive to jail them all. Maybe just heavy fines or menial labour?

Make them work off their bed and board bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending