The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Who is taking this next term? I got a bit bored during the remainder of my study leave and started looking up parts of the course - looks really interesting!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me! I'm looking forward to it!
I am :smile:
Reply 3
Going to post here so anyone can quote me on any questions that they have. I've just completed the course and I'm hoping for an A1, so if anyone needs any help then give us a shout!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you all think of the higher course ?
Reply 5
Not looking forward to this at all. Got nothing else to fill up the columns though so here I am.
Higher was not fun, and I know I'm saying that in a thread for AH so I'm prepared for the backlash.
Reply 6
Original post by PTS_99
Not looking forward to this at all. Got nothing else to fill up the columns though so here I am.
Higher was not fun, and I know I'm saying that in a thread for AH so I'm prepared for the backlash.

If you didn't enjoy higher or found it difficult I strongly recommend not taking the subject also you have expressed your opinion and i respect that so I wouldn't expect any backlash at all. Can I ask what grade you were predicted? Why did you not enjoy the higher course? Is there any particular reason?
Reply 7
Original post by JP298
If you didn't enjoy higher or found it difficult I strongly recommend not taking the subject also you have expressed your opinion and i respect that so I wouldn't expect any backlash at all. Can I ask what grade you were predicted? Why did you not enjoy the higher course? Is there any particular reason?

I think I'm predicted an A, and I'm confident of an A after doing the exam. I just didn't enjoy Higher, a combination of the workload (not so much of a problem next year as I'm only doing 2 subjects) and the teacher (he is great at teaching but his attitude is odd sometimes).
I think I'll be ok when I actually get there, it's just the thought of AH Maths at the moment isn't exciting me. :s-smilie:
And the backlash thing, lets just say that some people aren't as open minded as yourself on this forum, not naming anybody...
Reply 8
Original post by PTS_99
I think I'm predicted an A, and I'm confident of an A after doing the exam. I just didn't enjoy Higher, a combination of the workload (not so much of a problem next year as I'm only doing 2 subjects) and the teacher (he is great at teaching but his attitude is odd sometimes).
I think I'll be ok when I actually get there, it's just the thought of AH Maths at the moment isn't exciting me. :s-smilie:
And the backlash thing, lets just say that some people aren't as open minded as yourself on this forum, not naming anybody...

Why did you have to fill up the columns? We have people in S6 just doing two highers this year.
Reply 9
Original post by lordpankake
Why did you have to fill up the columns? We have people in S6 just doing two highers this year.

Because I've only filled 2 columns (AH Maths & AH Physics), and SLT guidance in my school is that you should have at least 3 out of 5 filled.
Reply 10
Original post by PTS_99

AH is not that hard, you'll be fine.
Original post by JP298
Going to post here so anyone can quote me on any questions that they have. I've just completed the course and I'm hoping for an A1, so if anyone needs any help then give us a shout!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why an A1 ? Isn't an A an A ?
Also which has more work in it higher or Advanced higher ? I think higher had 10 different units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by RossB1702
Why an A1 ? Isn't an A an A ?
Also which has more work in it higher or Advanced higher ? I think higher had 10 different units.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've used the wrong language, I meant to write that I expect an A1. An A1 to me means no more than an A2, I simply used the term to give a more accurate representation of what I expect to achieve. Now to answer your question, what has more work? I would say Adv Higher but the difficulty of the work is less than that of higher, once you've become accustomed to Adv Higher difficulty of course. The amount of units have no importance since each unit can wildly vary in length. Problem solving in Adv Higher has a much tighter range of complexity compared to that in higher since it can quickly become too complex if you change a question, even slightly. Hope this Helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
I've used the wrong language, I meant to write that I expect an A1. An A1 to me means no more than an A2, I simply used the term to give a more accurate representation of what I expect to achieve. Now to answer your question, what has more work? I would say Adv Higher but the difficulty of the work is less than that of higher, once you've become accustomed to Adv Higher difficulty of course. The amount of units have no importance since each unit can wildly vary in length. Problem solving in Adv Higher has a much tighter range of complexity compared to that in higher since it can quickly become too complex if you change a question, even slightly. Hope this Helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thanks for the reply but what do you mean by "it can quickly become too complex if you change a question, even slightly." ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woo! Joining in, also kind of excited for Advanced Higher, I thought the maths exam this year was pretty easy, compared to what I was expecting.
They may have toned it down because of last year.
Reply 15
Original post by RossB1702
Hey thanks for the reply but what do you mean by "it can quickly become too complex if you change a question, even slightly." ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The level of problem solving is, for the most part, the same as a question can easily become too long or difficult if you were to ask for something to be proved for example. What I'm saying will make sense once you start doing past papers, which is quite far away right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JP298
The level of problem solving is, for the most part, the same as a question can easily become too long or difficult if you were to ask for something to be proved for example. What I'm saying will make sense once you start doing past papers, which is quite far away right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thanks. Hopefully I should do okay, I'm ok at problem solving in physics past papers, maybe then this will apply for maths as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me!!!!!!!!!!!

We started the course briefly at school.

Anyone else done matrices? Seems stupid tbh -_-
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465226756.234980.jpgI just started the course last week and I'm really excited for the rest!! Only thing is my cat is trying to sabotage my work...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started our course today - Combinations and Permutations for the first lesson

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending