The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
[Cr(H2O)6]2+

:-)

I think a general rule of thumb is that a metal ion in water has 6 water ligands

What is A? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rory58824
I really hate those buffer questions.

More or less than you hate plants? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNervous
What is A? thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

CrCl3.6H2O

I'll edit in a spoiler with all the answers in the OP :smile:
[Cr(H2O)6]3+

:-)

I think a general rule of thumb is that a metal ion in water has 6 water ligands

Sorry that was a 3+

Wasn't the solution green though? Chromium in water is blue in solution and green with a chloride ligand. Or am I majorly wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
CrCl3.6H2O

I'll edit in a spoiler with all the answers in the OP :smile:

Aaah thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
Wasn't the solution green though? Chromium in water is blue in solution and green with a chloride ligand. Or am I majorly wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think we're expected to know the colours of chromium ions (except that it goes from orange to green in oxidation reactions) hence why they gave us so many hints with anion etc etc

However, Cr in the +3 oxidation state and aqueous is indeed green (when it has been produced in a reaction, otherwise it's violet). It is blue in the +2 state (quick google search shows this)
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think we're expected to know the colours of chromium ions (except that it goes from orange to green in oxidation reactions) hence why they gave us so many hints with anion etc etc

However, Cr in the +3 oxidation state and aqueous is indeed green. It is blue in the +2 state (quick google search shows this)

Cr 3+ is technically violet, it's just that almost every reaction you would ever do with it involves some ligand exchange hence the green
Original post by samb1234
Cr 3+ is technically violet, it's just that almost every reaction you would ever do with it involves some ligand exchange hence the green

Yep I was just about to add that

_20160603_124557.JPG
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/chromium.html

yep I suspect it is a classic example of chemguide going well beyond what you need to know but oh well
Original post by pineneedles
More or less than you hate plants? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah lol. You might be able to tell that I'm quite miserable when it comes to these two subjects
Original post by samb1234
yep I suspect it is a classic example of chemguide going well beyond what you need to know but oh well

So just getting things clear. It should be violet in aqueous solution without other ligands such as chloride ions but for the sake of the spec we say it's green? But really it's only green with, for example, 2 chloride ions acting as ligands?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
So just getting things clear. It should be violet in aqueous solution without other ligands such as chloride ions but for the sake of the spec we say it's green? But really it's only green with, for example, 2 chloride ions acting as ligands?

Posted from TSR Mobile

find out what your spec wants you to know and go for that
f324/f325 topic predictions guys? :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 513
Original post by bakedbeans247
f324/f325 predictions guys? :P

ez a*
Original post by alow
ez a*

I meant in terms of topic lol :P But gl!
Original post by bakedbeans247
f324/f325 topic predictions guys? :P

40 marks on mechanisms F324 :drool:

70 marks on entropy and enthalpy F325 :coma:
Reply 516
Original post by pineneedles
This reaction is happening:

HCOO- + H+ > HCOOH
When the salt reacts with H+, more acid is produced
Hence when the moles of salt decreases by 5x10^-4, the moles of acid increases by the same amount :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get it now, thanks :smile:
40 marks on mechanisms F324 :drool:
Omg YESSSSSS!!! :awesome: If only...
What would be the dose for a week?
Agreed. How many moles is this?

Assuming 60% yield how many miles of starting material are needed?

What mass of starting material is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending