The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Listers
Taking care of her in her old age doesn't really mean you respect her

Why must I love her to be able to respect her?
Original post by bluemadhatter
I strongly dislike my mother

Appreciate how lucky you are to have a mother. Not everyone does. How you can dislike someone who has devoted her life to bringing you up and caring for you is unbelievable.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
What do you do on mother's day?

The last mothers day I told her I was going to take her out and not to have anything planned the previous week and then when the day arrived she kept asking me what we were doing and I said never mind and spent the rest of the day in my room.

Sorry to hear that. I love my siblings, I don't think I love my dad but I care about him (if I have to question it, it can't be true love can it?) I just... don't love her, can't explain it. She is emotionally abusive but I'm sure there's worse out there who are still loved by their kids.

I'm really sorry to hear that she's emotionally abusive, I can completely understand your feelings in that case. It's hard to love someone who doesn't let you in or plays with your emotions.
Original post by Trapz99
Appreciate how lucky you are to have a mother. Not everyone does. How you can dislike someone who has devoted her life to bringing you up and caring for you is unbelievable.

no she hasnt
Reply 25
You don't have to have a lot in common to love your mum. I mean, I don't really tell my mum anything personal or connect with her that much. If I was her age we probably wouldn't be good friends. But it doesn't mean I don't love her for all the little things she does for me.
Original post by Trapz99

Not everyone's situations are the same.
For all you know blue might not even live with her mother and even if she does it is none of you business.
I hate people like you who tell other people who they should and shouldnt like despite having never met the people in question and not living with them for 17 years :smile:
no she hasnt

What is wrong with you? How can you not love your own mother? What has she done to deserve this? Nothing. Everyone should love their parents no matter what because they created you, protected you, cared for you and provided for you.
Original post by Trapz99

This is interesting. You sound like you know her mother personally and know exactly how caring she must have been. Since ALL mothers are caring and motherly right?

The last mothers day I told her I was going to take her out and not to have anything planned the previous week and then when the day arrived she kept asking me what we were doing and I said never mind and spent the rest of the day in my room.

I'm used to her brushing aside my efforts too, I've realised a long time ago that nothing I do will ever be good enough so I don't even try anymore.
Original post by Anonymous
Not everyone's situations are the same.
For all you know blue might not even live with her mother and even if she does it is none of you business.
I hate people like you who tell other people who they should and shouldnt like despite having never met the people in question and not living with them for 17 years :smile:

No matter what happens, a child's love for its parents should be unconditional. Without them, you wouldn't be where you are now.
Original post by Trapz99
What is wrong with you? How can you not love your own mother? What has she done to deserve this? Nothing. Everyone should love their parents no matter what because they created you, protected you, cared for you and provided for you.

How do you know she hasn't done anything to deserve it? you don't simple as. just because your mother might be nice and caring doesn't mean everyone's is.
Just because my dad helped create me doesn't mean I like the swine and frankly creating me is nothing to be proud of as frankly half the time i wish i was dead.
stop being so judgemental.
Reply 31
Original post by Trapz99
No matter what happens, a child's love for its parents should be unconditional. Without them, you wouldn't be where you are now.

Exactly.

Some people are just ungrateful and disrespectful.
Original post by Trapz99

No. I don't give unconditional love to people who are shits to me.
My mum has earned my love and affection always and forever but that doesn't apply to everyone.
and lol who says i want to be where i am now? :rolleyes:
Original post by Trapz99

u dont know my mother snm :h:
Reply 34
My mum has earned my love and affection always and forever but that doesn't apply to everyone.

What does that have to do with anything he said?
This is interesting. You sound like you know her mother personally and know exactly how caring she must have been. Since ALL mothers are caring and motherly right?

Love for one's parents is unconditional- no matter what your parents have done, you should love them and aim to resolve your differences in opinion. Disliking your own mother is completely and utterly wrong in every way.
Original post by Listers
What does that have to do with anything he said?

Urmm everything:

Original post by Trapz99

My mum and my dad have hurt me a lot in many ways but they've also broke their backs and gone without to provide me and my brother with a pretty privileged lifestyle and my parents have done everything they can to protect and help me, even when they have misinterpreted what was best.

Even though I'm quite sure they won't want to know me when I choose to get married or have a relationship, I'm still grateful for everything they have done and at the end of the day, they brought me into this world and cared for me through the years. There's no two people who deserve my respect and love more, regardless of anything else.
Original post by DrBeef
You don't have to have a lot in common to love your mum. I mean, I don't really tell my mum anything personal or connect with her that much. If I was her age we probably wouldn't be good friends. But it doesn't mean I don't love her for all the little things she does for me.

Meh, I don't love her. All she's done is make life harder than it should have been.

Original post by Trapz99

Well yes you're right, without her egg cells and mitochondrial DNA, I wouldn't be here but apart from that she has not contributed positively to my life. I respect and will take care of her but I can't magic the emotion of 'love' out of thin air.
Original post by Trapz99
Love for one's parents is unconditional- no matter what your parents have done, you should love them and aim to resolve your differences in opinion. Disliking your own mother is completely and utterly wrong in every way.

To be honest, that's not fair. What something should be and what it is in reality is different. A lot of kids do not connect with their parents and there's usually a reason; not all mothers and fathers do well by their kids.

What you say is an ideal and would be nice, but it isn't quite realistic.

Latest

Trending

Trending