The Student Room Group

JP Morgan will cut jobs if we leave the EU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Proximo
Great point... Except that's not how the public is going to see it

This is how the public will see it:

Remain campaign: 7000 jobs in JP Morgan will be lost
Public: JP Morgan? Bankers? Losing their jobs? VOTE LEAVE!!

So, like i said, it's a legitimate point, but in the vast world of politics, you shouldn't use it to support the remain campaign. You can try, but let's face it, they dislike bankers too much to care about what happens to them.

I'm not cold hearted, I'm a realist.

The people losing their jobs won't be highly paid bankers with big bonuses, they will be ordinary admin people on ordinary wages. And you don't really think its just people working in banks, it would also be lots of other workers in other sectors losing their jobs too.
Reply 41
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
JP Morgan won't move jobs to the continent. I don't like the way that the leave campaign says that any claims contrary to their position are merely fear mongering, but in this specific case it's accurate. It's fairly obvious that one of the reasons that Britain wants to leave the EU is to loosen legislative interference in the economy, and given that Britain's services sector is its major economic force, it seems obvious that financial controls will be relaxed. All of which is pretty handy for JP Morgan.

On the other hand, with Britain out of the EU the main opponent to closer fiscal and political union in the EU will be out of the equation. And in the interest of keeping the euro afloat in the aftermath of a hypothetical Brexit, it seems likely that the EU would need to centralise at least some financial powers. All of which is very very unfriendly for a business like JP Morgan.

JP Morgan indeed prefers the idea of Britain in the EU compared to Britain outside; the common market is an attractive proposition for any international businesses obviously. But Britain outside the EU is still far more attractive to any large-scale, international, service sector business than any country inside the EU.

Have you told the boss of J P Morgan about this, hes donated half a million to the Remain campaign? If he had listened to you, he could have given his money to the Leavers.
Original post by plasmaman
When did they let you out of the asylum?

If you think everyone being equal is an insane idea, you're the one who belongs in the asylum
Original post by Trapz99
Mate, the financial services industry is one of our biggest exports and it generates a lot of tax revenue, as well as the work itself helping the economy by helping companies to grow and develop. You can say that you're distant from it but they're more important to you than you think.

the only reason we do not have big manufacturing industries as a back up is due to the excessive EU laws and redtape/ regulations which make it difficult for small companies to grow into larger ones and export the manufactured items. Since joining the EU; fishing industry has gone, the shipyard industry has gone, the textile industry has gone, the coal industry has gone.

So whats left over is only Financial services, and that as the only thing a country exports can be dangerous as seen by the 2008 crash.
Original post by sachinisgod
the only reason we do not have big manufacturing industries as a back up is due to the excessive EU laws and redtape/ regulations which make it difficult for small companies to grow into larger ones and export the manufactured items. .

Lol. If you want to trade with the EU then you are going to be subject to EU Laws and Regulations. So whether you are inside or outside of the EU, it makes no difference.

The concept that EU laws make it difficult for business to "grow" is garbage. Name one example where EU laws have significantly stunted a companies growth.
Original post by James.Carnell
Don't care. I am northern and the whole world of banking is totally distant.

You will care when tax receipts from financial services collapse and the Government cuts even more services in the North.
Reply 46
the only reason we do not have big manufacturing industries as a back up is due to the excessive EU laws and redtape/ regulations which make it difficult for small companies to grow into larger ones and export the manufactured items. Since joining the EU; fishing industry has gone, the shipyard industry has gone, the textile industry has gone, the coal industry has gone.

So whats left over is only Financial services, and that as the only thing a country exports can be dangerous as seen by the 2008 crash.

Lol coal, shipyard, textiles? We aren't in the 50s anymore. The world has changed. Textiles is not going to come back to this country full stop even if we leave the EU- these things can be a manufactured so much more cheaply in countries like India and China where they can pay workers wages on which they can't survive on here.

Coal is dying out in a lot of countries as they look for renewable energy sources. Don't blame the world changing on the EU.

Financial services isn't our only export anyway- we have a growing tech industry now in London, and the entertainment industry's doing well. Our manufacturing industry has potential to grow but leaving the EU will effectively make it harder to export to a large proportion of our clients.
(edited 7 years ago)

Ah, that's quite convenient isn't it? Why is Germany still a manufacturing behemoth? Despite being under your so-called 'restricted' EU policies. The EU has barely anything to do with the strength of our manufacturing or primary services industries, it's a natural progression of power that the UK is facing from being a world leader and colonising countries with rich resources (thus ample ground to build strong business on) to being a more 'intellectually' resource-rich service oriented economy. It's only natural that a tiny island with not a lot of natural resources (apart from Oil and Gas) struggles to compete with players like China and Russia; it would be pretty negligent to pass over that.

As it stands, there is a LOT of support from industry leaders all across the gamut in this country for the remain campaign. These guys have crunched the numbers, done the forecasts and assessed the risks - much more so than the leave campaign have done anyway. Staying means access to a strong and fluid labour market, a huge wider general products and services market, security and backing of other strong EU countries, etc etc. We simply cannot compete at the same level of scale as we are currently if we loose these advantages, we're not anything like the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
You will care when tax receipts from financial services collapse and the Government cuts even more services in the North.

We're already ****ed, the south will know that soon enough.
Original post by BasicMistake
Do you support the idea that we are even having a referendum? I'm writing a piece on whether direct democracy such as referendums work and the more I read, the less I think they do.

No I don't think we should be having a referendum, it was blatantly obvious Cameron called for one to win votes... That's politics.

Direct democracies are so ridiculously inefficient and they take ages, a competent government with more power could quickly get things done - trouble is finding a government like that. We're so obsessed with democracy now a days like it's God's given gift to us but seriously sometimes you can't trust the public with everything. That's also why I feel the whole sovereignty and democracy argument by leave campaigners is so petty, the economy is so much more important.
Original post by Maker
The people losing their jobs won't be highly paid bankers with big bonuses, they will be ordinary admin people on ordinary wages. And you don't really think its just people working in banks, it would also be lots of other workers in other sectors losing their jobs too.

I'm not disputing this, I'm telling you how the public sees it.
Original post by inhuman
You just implied human beings are stupid.

I hate bankers, too, but generally speaking they create a lot of economy. And the taxes that come with that...

Well not all humans are stupid but come on, they're not all very intelligent either.
Reply 52
Original post by Proximo
Well not all humans are stupid but come on, they're not all very intelligent either.

Oh, you misunderstand.

I very much think most humans are stupid (to a certain degree at least). I totally agree with you.
Reply 53
Original post by James.Carnell
Don't care. I am northern and the whole world of banking is totally distant.

Lol. A Brexiut supporter thinks high employment won't have a national effect. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism

Then the north can rebel and vote for MP's that want a southerners tax, problem solved. :biggrin:
Let's all now watch the left cite to the authority of investment banks. This referendum campaign is full of quirks.

The way this guy speaks about brexit... It's almost as though JP Morgan has a dog in this fight.
Reply 56
Original post by Proximo
I'm not disputing this, I'm telling you how the public sees it.

Leavers are so obsessed with their own desires they have lost their empathy and humanity.
Reply 57
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Let's all now watch the left cite to the authority of investment banks. This referendum campaign is full of quirks.

The way this guy speaks about brexit... It's almost as though JP Morgan has a dog in this fight.

The Left care about people losing their jobs, Leavers seems Ok with people losing their jobs, thats why they have no plan for the UK if it leaves the EU.

Most Leavers seem to be old people with pensions or the rich who don't have to worry about losing their jobs.
Original post by Maker
Have you told the boss of J P Morgan about this, hes donated half a million to the Remain campaign? If he had listened to you, he could have given his money to the Leavers.

Did you actually read what I said? I'm presuming not, as your comment makes no sense. Allow me to draw your attention to the pertinent bit, with regards your comment:

'JP Morgan indeed prefers the idea of Britain in the EU compared to Britain outside; the common market is an attractive proposition for any international businesses obviously. But Britain outside the EU is still far more attractive to any large-scale, international, service sector business than any country inside the EU.'
Reply 59
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Did you actually read what I said? I'm presuming not, as your comment makes no sense. Allow me to draw your attention to the pertinent bit, with regards your comment:

'JP Morgan indeed prefers the idea of Britain in the EU compared to Britain outside; the common market is an attractive proposition for any international businesses obviously. But Britain outside the EU is still far more attractive to any large-scale, international, service sector business than any country inside the EU.'

You seem to be unsure about what you are saying. You said Britain will be better outside the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending