The Student Room Group

Economist overwhelmingly reject Brexit. So what?

These are the same people that didn't see 2008 coming. May as well listen to a bunch of astrologers.

They have never predicted anything.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You are right, what do they know? We will forget about all the economists that did predict 2008 (but weren't listened to) for the time being because I am only listening to you. You are a random voice on the internet with no credibility. Only you know the "truth" my friend! I am all ears.
Oh yes, those silly economists who somewhow weren't aware of the existence of the shady + secretive sub-prime mortgage debacle in the US that caused the global recession.

Jog on.
Original post by midgemeister7
those silly economists who somewhow weren't aware of the existence of the shady + secretive sub-prime mortgage debacle in the US that caused the global recession.

Yes, those are the ones.

What a competent bunch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Economics is not a science
they're also the same people who thought joining the euro was a great idea
Original post by sleepysnooze
they're also the same people who thought joining the euro was a great idea

Isaac Newton thought the Philosopher's Stone turned base metal into gold.

Does that mean there is no such thing as gravity?
Original post by nulli tertius

:lol: did he? I thought it was alchemy he believed in?
Original post by nulli tertius

Do we use his Philosophers Stone to turn base metal into gold? No.

Do we use Newtonian mechanics to build bridges, fly planes and send rockets into space? Yes.

Alchemy developed into chemistry to the point where now know why we can not create gold. It;s a shame economists haven;t got past the alchemy stage of their discipline and they certainly have no theories to rival that of gravity... Considering economist exist in a world post enlightenment their field is a joke.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
:lol: did he? I thought it was alchemy he believed in?

It is the particular aspect of alchemy he was most interested in. However, he was Master of the Royal Mint, so it would have cut his supply chain costs. :smile:
Yes, let's ignore the advice and warnings of actual, trained professionals and listen to the voices of isolationist, xenophobic, prejudiced right-wing fearmongerers. I don't see how could that possibly go wrong or backfire in any way.
And I'm sure if a majority of economists were backing Brexit you would be similarly reluctant to take their advice seriously. :rolleyes:
economists are really "reckonomists" because all they do is reckon. they reckon things wrongly all the time. *all* the time. if you think about the EU as an entity, all it does is protect itself from capitalist competition from the non-european world. how is that good for our growth and success, to be a part of this union?
(edited 7 years ago)
The thing that Cameron and Remainers don't point out is that they contacted 15,000 economists and only 600 responded...

That shows to me that the rest don't think the fallout will be serious and so don't care at all.
If economists said we'd be better off with a Brexit, we'd hear no end of it. But since the consensus is inconvenient to the Brexiteers, we have to ignore everything they say.

What a joke.
Yeah i think Steve from down the road knows much more about the topic than qualified economists.
lol Economists are well respected however they never take into consideration social aspects of decisions but merely tangible aspects.
Original post by BirdIsWord
Yeah i think Steve from down the road knows much more about the topic than qualified economists.

Pretty much sums up this whole stupid ****ing referendum.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
These are the same people that didn't see 2008 coming. May as well listen to a bunch of astrologers.

They have never predicted anything.

Vince Cable predicted it and he says we should stay.

(That's assuming your logic is correct)

Personally I think economists who have got one or reprints wrongs are still more credible to talk on economic policy than some bloke down a pub.
What a naïve thing to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending