The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
Mixed feelings on vardy..

I mean, the value is decent - bbc saying 20m release clause. Not many strikers you can get for that.. let alone one with a PL medal, a 24 goal season in the league etc.

Agree with those who are comparing it to RVP going to united.. pay the price, get a few good years before he is past it, and then move on.

--

I would not be happy if it was our only forward signing though, as I still feel like Vardy, Giroud, Welbeck - is just not strong enough for a title winning side. I know that seems rediculous as Vardy was just in a title winning side, but what worries me about him is that he wont have the same link-up/connection with the arsenal players as he had at leicster.. can he replicate his sucess?

Vardy + A decent exciting young prospect, icardi/morata type... and I would be very happy that our striking options are covered for a while.

But to be honest, I don't see Vardy happening. Sure he may have a release clause, but why would he leave this year? for more money? - leicster have enough to boost up his contract a bit.. hes just won the league, is adored by fans, loves his team mates, and will get CL football.

Reckon he will be eyeing a move to a top club next year, not this year. He will put in a solid performance next season, but when leicster drop down to 6th/7th or somewhere, he will take his big pay-check to move to somewhere else.

Personally I think he is the perfect signing. I am sick and tired of players who may deliver tomorrow. Vardy may not have long at the top left but he can deliver right now.
I am sick and tired of waiting yet another season for the title. How can we even consider ourselves a big club anymore when we have not won the title in so many years? I am tired of 'projects'.

Put it this way, if we don't win within the next season I can see big stars leaving.

To win this title we are going to have to be a lot more ruthless and *****sh than we have been.

Put simply too... apart from the likes of Lewandowski and Suarez I don't think there is many better than him at the moment. Higuain? For £50-60m+ that they are touting he is just not worth it, and he has bottler written all over him - he is not top class.
Original post by Zerforax
And yet it's Arsenal trying to do it..

Considering Arsenal don't know how release clauses work (see Suarez circa 2013), let's go through it.

- Vardy has a release clause which means if a CL qualified club make a bid (mooted to be £20mil) then Leicester have to accept
- if a non-CL club makes a bid then Leicester can negotiate or reject it

Now, what do you think will happen in a non-CL club bids more than the release clause? Do you think Leicester will turn down extra money?

Except, we DO know how release clauses work, it was YOUR club who illegally rejected the bid, your chairman admitted as much.
As the other user has said, you can bid £100mil if you like, but our £20mil bid will already have been accepted. If Vardy wants to join us, then he joins us for £20mil, your £100mil bid is irrelevant. It sounds like you don't have a clue how release clauses work tbh.
And lets be real, why would he choose you lot over us or Leicester? He just wouldn't. In the same way he wouldnt choose Watford over us or Leicester.
Original post by Rk2k14
I didn't compared him to Giroud.
Do you even comprehend.

I said Arsenal would benefit from a striker who does Giroud's job, but better. Lukaku would be a beast.

Fundamental issues still remain. Arsenal do not play the system which allows Vardy to thrive. Do you really think Wenger is going to accommodate a striker after he's ****ed about for years?

I can understand where you are coming from, he thrives in a countering system. But I think the idea is we would have 2 very different strikers giving us more options. I would be thrilled with a Lukaku bid, but he doesn't offer as different an option to Giroud like Vardy does imo and there is the same concern that Everton don't play a possession game either. He's still very raw too in lots of areas, e.g. awful first touch.
Anyone wanting Morata over Vardy, as Shed would say, "needs to have a word with themself" or give up watching football. Someone who has never scored more than 10 goals in the league in a season is not in any way the immediate answer to put striker problem. Reaks of someone who is judging him only on cl performances.
It's really interesting you seem to be moving quickly and boldly in this transfer window. I wonder if Wenger knows this is his last summer, and he's throwing the kitchen sink at it.
Original post by Rk2k14
I didn't compared him to Giroud.
Do you even comprehend.

I said Arsenal would benefit from a striker who does Giroud's job, but better. Lukaku would be a beast.

Fundamental issues still remain. Arsenal do not play the system which allows Vardy to thrive. Do you really think Wenger is going to accommodate a striker after he's ****ed about for years?

Of course he will. Look at the football they played when Robin was up front for them.
Original post by leinad2012
Except, we DO know how release clauses work, it was YOUR club who illegally rejected the bid, your chairman admitted as much.
As the other user has said, you can bid £100mil if you like, but our £20mil bid will already have been accepted. If Vardy wants to join us, then he joins us for £20mil, your £100mil bid is irrelevant. It sounds like you don't have a clue how release clauses work tbh.
And lets be real, why would he choose you lot over us or Leicester? He just wouldn't. In the same way he wouldnt choose Watford over us or Leicester.

Illegal? Don't think it had anything to do with breaking the law.. breach of contract perhaps :wink:

Tbh Suarez is too good to be playing for Arsenal anyway. He made the right choice to stay at Liverpool and then got a move to a big club.

Wha..? Your logic make no sense. That's like saying any bid is irrelevant.

Leicester would be contractually bound to accept a £20mil offer from Arsenal. While Leicester would not be contractually bound to accept any offer from Liverpool, can you explain a situation where Leicester would reject any bids above £20mil if Arsenal have already made a bid of £20mil? Obviously they would accept any bids higher since they could potentially get a higher windfall.

I'll take you point that Leicester would reject Liverpool's offer if no other clubs came in to trigger Vardy's release clause.
Illegal? Don't think it had anything to do with breaking the law.. breach of contract perhaps :wink:

Tbh Suarez is too good to be playing for Arsenal anyway. He made the right choice to stay at Liverpool and then got a move to a big club.

Wha..? Your logic make no sense. That's like saying any bid is irrelevant.

Leicester would be contractually bound to accept a £20mil offer from Arsenal. While Leicester would not be contractually bound to accept any offer from Liverpool, can you explain a situation where Leicester would reject any bids above £20mil if Arsenal have already made a bid of £20mil? Obviously they would accept any bids higher since they could potentially get a higher windfall.

I'll take you point that Leicester would reject Liverpool's offer if no other clubs came in to trigger Vardy's release clause.

Breach of contract IS breaking the law :wink:

I agree, Suarez was too good for us, but that doesn't mean you had any legitimate right to stop him from signing for us had he wanted to.

The logic makes complete sense. Liverpool can bid £40million, no let's say £100million and Leicester will accept both Arsenal and Liverpool's offers. Vardy can then choose between the 2 clubs, he'd choose us or stay (why would he go to Liverpool over us or Leicester lol?), so OUR bid of £20mil is accepted. We don't have any obligation to go to your price was my understanding. Basically, if a Champions League club offers £20mil, you can bid £100mil and it'll be irrelevant, as Vardy would choose the CL club over you and they would only be obliged to pay the buyout amount.
Original post by leinad2012
Breach of contract IS breaking the law :wink:

I agree, Suarez was too good for us, but that doesn't mean you had any legitimate right to stop him from signing for us had he wanted to.

The logic makes complete sense. Liverpool can bid £40million, no let's say £100million and Leicester will accept both Arsenal and Liverpool's offers. Vardy can then choose between the 2 clubs, he'd choose us or stay (why would he go to Liverpool over us or Leicester lol?), so OUR bid of £20mil is accepted. We don't have any obligation to go to your price was my understanding. Basically, if a Champions League club offers £20mil, you can bid £100mil and it'll be irrelevant, as Vardy would choose the CL club over you and they would only be obliged to pay the buyout amount.

No it really isn't (google is your friend) but we digress.

Well he didn't fight it and then gave us his best season so it worked out well for Liverpool and Suarez.

You were previously mixing Leicester's position and Vardy's position as one when they are two distinct parts of a successful transfer. Agreed with the rest of your point that Arsenal wouldn't have to bid higher or match Liverpool's offer if they did bid higher.

Reasons why Vardy could sign for Liverpool?
- we might offer significantly more money than Leicester and Arsenal in wages (not saying Arsenal can't offer high wages but in theory Arsenal may only deem him worth 100k and Liverpool could offer 150k)
- Vardy might worry about his playing time at Arsenal and whether he can become first choice at Arsenal
- Vardy might accept that Leicester are likely to be a one-off CL season
- Klopp > Wenger
- the same way Vardy may have a release clause, he may also be entitled to a portion of the transfer value so could pick the higher transfer to pocket more money

The above is all hypothetical and tbh I don't believe any of the reports linking us to him. The Liverpool Echo agrees with me:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-not-chasing-leicester-city-11426563

We already have Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Ings to play striker and other areas need to be fixed before worrying about that position (I expect us to sell Benteke)
Vardy is too old for our transfer committee to agree to such a signing at the mooted high transfer price/wages.
Reply 8007
lol to even joke that Vardy would choose Liverpool over Arsenal.

Reasons why Vardy could sign for Liverpool?

- we might offer significantly more money than Leicester and Arsenal in wages (not saying Arsenal can't offer high wages but in theory Arsenal may only deem him worth 100k and Liverpool could offer 150k)
With players like Walcott and Wilshere on 100k+ I highly doubt we're going to be reserved on his wages, especially if we're buying him for £20m to essentially play for a season or two. Very ironic considering your team has 4 strikers already where as we only have Giroud, and Welbeck is out for the year.

- Vardy might worry about his playing time at Arsenal and whether he can become first choice at Arsenal
No he won't, he'll start every game unless his form has been abysmal.

- Vardy might accept that Leicester are likely to be a one-off CL season
Irrelevant.

- Klopp > Wenger
Irrelevant when Liverpool are 8th and Arsenal are 2nd

- the same way Vardy may have a release clause, he may also be entitled to a portion of the transfer value so could pick the higher transfer to pocket more money
It's not like Liverpool are that much better off than Arsenal though, is it? Any bid you do put in I doubt will be much higher than ours. Didn't work when you bid for Sanchez so why would it now.

We already have Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Ings to play striker and other areas need to be fixed before worrying about that position (I expect us to sell Benteke)
Vardy is too old for our transfer committee to agree to such a signing at the mooted high transfer price

And here you've said exactly why you wouldn't go for him anyway, so again, irrelevant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Loool at Liverpool fans mocking Arsenal for going for Vardy when they've pissed hundreds of millions away in recent years.

Excellent signing if you get him btw. Özil to Vardy next year though ffs :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vardy doesn't suit Liverpool or Arsenal tbh.

Liverpool certainly don't need him but there's the argument that it could be a decent purchase for Arsenal with welbecks injury for example and lack of other good options.

It can be easy to forget that while it looks like a good signing you would have to question it to the degree that it will most likely mean it stops another player coming in. Will be interesting to see how it turns out though if he does go.

Will be a shame if vardy goes though as it will be nice if Leicester keeps their best players for the CL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbf if a prime RVP wanted to join us again despite everything... would take him in an instant. I think he was an amazing player, just very short sighted given the money that Wenger then invested in the likes of Ozil over subsequent seasons.

I think given Wenger's experience, he can even improve Vardy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have this really bad feeling that we'll end up getting Vardy and Leicester will somehow replace him with an even better striker.
Original post by AliRizzo
Have this really bad feeling that we'll end up getting Vardy and Leicester will somehow replace him with an even better striker.

We're Arsenal fans, we're so used to getting ****ed over by now that it is just to be expected.

However, any improvement on Giroud is a very welcome sign. I would be happy with Giroud being where he belongs, coming off the bench or as a no.2 striker.

I also think that rather than meaning that we will sign another striker after Vardy, instead it will fall on the academy to produce a great talent. And why not? Given time perhaps we can bring someone through that is worthy of the Arsenal starting striker role.
Original post by James.Carnell
We're Arsenal fans, we're so used to getting ****ed over by now that it is just to be expected.

However, any improvement on Giroud is a very welcome sign. I would be happy with Giroud being where he belongs, coming off the bench or as a no.2 striker.

I also think that rather than meaning that we will sign another striker after Vardy, instead it will fall on the academy to produce a great talent. And why not? Given time perhaps we can bring someone through that is worthy of the Arsenal starting striker role.

The academy is such a gamble right now for forwards, Iwobi is the best one to come out of it recently and he still needs a bit of work. Have to admit I'm jealous of United in that regard, Rashford looks like a really good player and someone they can rely on for a long time.

I'm delighted with Vardy (deal looks to be 100% done and won't be surprised if it's announced before Monday) but I would still like another forward player, even a wide one because I don't want the onus to fall on Vardy alone. But if Sanchez gets back to his best than I think it should be goals galore next season.
Original post by AliRizzo
The academy is such a gamble right now for forwards, Iwobi is the best one to come out of it recently and he still needs a bit of work. Have to admit I'm jealous of United in that regard, Rashford looks like a really good player and someone they can rely on for a long time.

I'm delighted with Vardy (deal looks to be 100% done and won't be surprised if it's announced before Monday) but I would still like another forward player, even a wide one because I don't want the onus to fall on Vardy alone. But if Sanchez gets back to his best than I think it should be goals galore next season.

What do you think of the reports of Henrikh from BVB?

I think he reminds me of the typical Wenger type of wide creative player, not necessarily super quick. More like a guy that can play the Nasri role that Wenger loves. Wenger often puts the likes of Ozil and Wilshere out on the wings with limited success to try and get them to play such a role, but if we can get an actual player that is specialized then that would be great.

Apparently Chelsea are keen on him though, so there is some tough competition to sign him.
Original post by James.Carnell
What do you think of the reports of Henrikh from BVB?

I think he reminds me of the typical Wenger type of wide creative player, not necessarily super quick. More like a guy that can play the Nasri role that Wenger loves. Wenger often puts the likes of Ozil and Wilshere out on the wings with limited success to try and get them to play such a role, but if we can get an actual player that is specialized then that would be great.

Apparently Chelsea are keen on him though, so there is some tough competition to sign him.

Would be happy if we got him, although every time I watch him he seems to spurn an incredible amount of chances, particularly when we played in Dortmund last season. Could have easily been 5-0 if he was more clinical. You can teach a player to finish but you can't teach him that kind of movement though, so I'm sure he'd develop quite well here. Agree with the Nasri role stuff as well, although buying a player like him would mean some serious repercussions for other midfielders, particularly Ramsey, if Wilshere stays fit. Don't think the transfer is very likely though.
Not so sure about Vardy tbh, if Arsenal were a counter attacking side then it's a no brainer but I can't see him scoring 20+ goals in a team where he isn't going to have that space to run into as he did at Leicester. Time will tell with this one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Regarding the Vardy signing, people are totally illogical with him, it might work out it might not.

But the age thing they mention is dumb as ****, Higuain is 28. Cavani is 29. Benzema is 28.

If his name was James Vardei top scorer from La Liga signed for £40m people would be saying it is an inspirational signing. But since he is English and rose to prominence at a later age people are not seeing it as a glamorous enough signing.
Vardy to Arsenal :ahee:
Vardy has already booked his medical for tomorrow.
Now just a CB and we should win the leauge
Wengers last season will be a good one i sense it
Buy Morata as well :excited:
Never noticed it before, but watched a video on youtube and Vardy is genuinely world class. Big, big signing.

Latest