The Student Room Group

School won't let my sister fast for Ramadhan?

My sister is 9 years old and Ramadhan is starting soon. It's compulsory for her to fast but the school says only year 5 and 6 are allowed to fast and she's in year 4. What should we do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My sister is 9 years old and Ramadhan is starting soon. It's compulsory for her to fast but the school says only year 5 and 6 are allowed to fast and she's in year 4. What should we do?

She is still considered a child. Children are not obligated to fast. I believe it's only obligatory to fast once you reach the age of adolescence, i.e. once you hit puberty.. some people say it's at 10 years.
It isn't compulsory
Reply 3
Can't be healthy for a 9 year old to not eat or drink for like 18 hours can it?
Reply 4
What tell the school there worn and tell it's her life why are you interfering in it so much and acting as if it is a dictatorship in school. This is strange for a school though i don't remember my primary school saying so.
sounds like a racist islamophobic school to me, should sue them FACT

Maybe you should put education before religion and respect the people around you. Stop complaining about Ramadhan - the exams have already been moved forward. If you are so fussed then go to a country where your sister can fast for Ramadan. Religion is a very important aspect of life but it shouldn't come in the way of other people - It isn't compulsory as well
As a muslim myself i know that from all the mosques i've been to they say you shouldnt fast until 10 years of age.
Reply 8
My sister is 9 years old and Ramadhan is starting soon. It's compulsory for her to fast

No, it's not.
Original post by Josb
At least try to be credible when you troll.
Advice was asked for and it was given, I think you're the troll here giving no advice and trying to derail the thread, reported.
Reply 10
Original post by intelligent con
Advice was asked for and it was given, I think you're the troll here giving no advice and trying to derail the thread, reported.

:rolleyes:

School's only trying to protect her. Young children can't handle no food for long periods of time, it's not healthy for their growing bodies. She won't be able to participate in sports or even concentrate on her work.It's not compulsory for her to fast anyways, so maybe she can fasts only during the weekends?

Original post by intelligent con
sounds like a racist islamophobic school to me, should sue them FACT

Lol, not everyone is Islamophobic. Too many Muslims play the victim card. I'm sure the non-Muslim kids won't be able to evade lunch time at school either. Muslims aren't above everyone else, at least in this country, so they must follow the same rules as everyone else.

And good luck trying to sue a public authority for being concerned for a 9 year old child.
Dw you have to be 10 years old to fast!
Take a chill pill shes 9 years old i only started in year 6 and that was only 10/30 days, ramadan isnt all about not eating and drinking, its about reflections and niyah which is intention which is hard to actually achieve for a 9 year old, your schools doing the right thing in my opinion.
They won't let you starve a child? how cruel :C
She's too young to fast. I didn't start fasting until I was 12.

The School's in the right.
Reply 16
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
They won't let you starve a child? how cruel :C

^ This

Reply 17
Children should eat food because they need it to grow

At my mosque/family we stick to 10 and above have to fast. However, my little sisters school (she's 10) are also reluctant to ler her fast even though she is in year 5. Last year all she did was fast up untill lunch time on school days and do a full fast on weekends (i would recommend this for your sister). However in regards to the school, my parents spoke to them (as did many other parents) and highlighted how she can break the fast if she really wants to and if she feels dizzy/faint. She won't take part in PE (which is very annoying for my sister but the school were worried that she would faint) and she can stay indoors if she finds it to hot outside (ultimatly they are worried that she will get dehydrated). They have agreed to these terms for my sister and her muslim friends.
So i would recommend talking to the headteacher but your sister at 9 does seem a little young (though i have seen my cousins that age fast and be fine :smile: ).
Ramadhan Kareem!
Use some common sense.

The School are the ones that take responsibility for the child during the day , not you.

So if she drops from exhaustion, then it is THEIR issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending