The Student Room Group

How much do you spend per week at university?

I'm just curious as I'm going to be starting in September! :biggrin:
£20 on train travel to work
£15 on food

Lets just call it £50 ish once you count going out with friends and stuff
Original post by Jackieox
£20 on train travel to work
£15 on food

Lets just call it £50 ish once you count going out with friends and stuff

Wow, why so little on food? I already spend far too much, my lunch today alone cost £1.24 . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo

All about that left over mac and cheese.
Original post by Kawaii289
All about that left over mac and cheese.

I don't like cheese . . . :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
About 35 on food shopping and takeaways
Haven't been going out much because of exams but maybe like 10 on going out too
About £150 a week excluding rent and bills, but I'm not actively trying to budget.
Wow, why so little on food? I already spend far too much, my lunch today alone cost £1.24 . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only eat one meal a day and Ham, Bread, Crisps and some yoghurt isn't that expensive
Original post by Jackieox
I only eat one meal a day and Ham, Bread, Crisps and some yoghurt isn't that expensive

Oh, wow. I get hungry a lot so I wouldn't be able to cope with that amount of food, but I suppose it's good for your budget that you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

It all depends with ones lifestyle. it is not a fixed thing dear. Look at your lifestyle first. But at least $50 a week
Original post by voste
It all depends with ones lifestyle. it is not a fixed thing dear. Look at your lifestyle first. But at least $50 a week

Well, I don't drink or go out much but I could easily spend £10 per day on food . . . :colondollar: I'm aiming to spend a maximum of £70 per week.
Reply 11
Well, I don't drink or go out much but I could easily spend £10 per day on food . . . :colondollar: I'm aiming to spend a maximum of £70 per week.

That will definitely work. 70 per week for you will be a reality....
Reply 12
I spend like £40+ per week on food, toiletries, etc...
Original post by voste
That will definitely work. 70 per week for you will be a reality....

That's reassuring to know. I also have most of my books already so I won't need to buy many. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Sounds alright. I spend about £300 a month
Not including accommodation, probably £50-60 a week.
It varies, for example we went out to eat on Sunday followed by drinks after so that was about 37-40 quid now going out to eat tonight followed by the same so probably another £30 minimum. Also went out clubbing on Wednesday and spent £15 on drinks taxis food. This is an abnormal week and it's not usually like this but because people are leaving soon and finishing exams and peoples birthdays in the summer while we're not here it's all gone a bit haywire and so there is a lot to do bunched up in a small time period

Hello :biggrin:

During my First Year at university, after calculations, Student Finance allowed me to live on about £80 a week - now in first year, I could spend this easily. When I first started I was spending around £20-£25 on a weeks shop for myself - however after a couple of months I started shopping with flatmates and was only spending £10 for a weeks shop. This left me with £70. This allowed me to go out once (or twice) a week - this was around £20-£30 for entry, alcohol and takeaway. Then the rest of the money was petrol, takeaway or other random things. However, this was First Year and I made a lot of stupid purchases.

In Second Year, my student house was more expensive than my First and this hit my weekly spend hard. I went down to living on £33 a week whilst spending the same on shopping but not going out as much. Every now and again my mum supported me with an additional £33 a week. Again, I made some stupid purchases and what not but this was roughly what I was spending.

Everyone spends a little differently depending on your income. Make sure you always sit down and look at how much money you have left after accommodation and what not - devide it by the amount of weeks between the different income of Student Finance and try to stick to that.

Good luck for your first year at university! :smile:
Original post by cherryred90s
Sounds alright. I spend about £300 a month

Original post by Plagioclase
Not including accommodation, probably £50-60 a week.

Original post by neal95
It varies, for example we went out to eat on Sunday followed by drinks after so that was about 37-40 quid now going out to eat tonight followed by the same so probably another £30 minimum. Also went out clubbing on Wednesday and spent £15 on drinks taxis food. This is an abnormal week and it's not usually like this but because people are leaving soon and finishing exams and peoples birthdays in the summer while we're not here it's all gone a bit haywire and so there is a lot to do bunched up in a small time period

Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :biggrin:

During my First Year at university, after calculations, Student Finance allowed me to live on about £80 a week - now in first year, I could spend this easily. When I first started I was spending around £20-£25 on a weeks shop for myself - however after a couple of months I started shopping with flatmates and was only spending £10 for a weeks shop. This left me with £70. This allowed me to go out once (or twice) a week - this was around £20-£30 for entry, alcohol and takeaway. Then the rest of the money was petrol, takeaway or other random things. However, this was First Year and I made a lot of stupid purchases.

In Second Year, my student house was more expensive than my First and this hit my weekly spend hard. I went down to living on £33 a week whilst spending the same on shopping but not going out as much. Every now and again my mum supported me with an additional £33 a week. Again, I made some stupid purchases and what not but this was roughly what I was spending.

Everyone spends a little differently depending on your income. Make sure you always sit down and look at how much money you have left after accommodation and what not - devide it by the amount of weeks between the different income of Student Finance and try to stick to that.

Good luck for your first year at university! :smile:

Thank you all so much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply