The Student Room Group

What do people think about Ramadan (The month of fasting in Islam)?

I'm Muslim and I'd just like to know, generally, what people thought of fasting from sunrise till sunset.

Scroll to see replies

I think it's a great month, and essentially it does bring you closer to God
There's nothing wrong with that?

Very young children shouldn't be made to fast though!!
Reply 3
Original post by idrathernotsay
I'm Muslim and I'd just like to know, generally, what people thought of fasting from sunrise till sunset.

I can't wait.... we are lucky to be given the chance to repent and build up our good deeds, (it'll also give me the chance to pray for the exam results that I want :smile: )
How do you feel about Ramadhan?
Original post by Kryptonian
There's nothing wrong with that?

Very young children shouldn't be made to fast though!!

Young children aren't supposed to fast, only when you've hit puberty are you obligated to do it.
Original post by Zara0526
I can't wait.... we are lucky to be given the chance to repent and build up our good deeds, (it'll also give me the chance to pray for the exam results that I want :smile: )
How do you feel about Ramadhan?

I forgot that Ramadan is the best time to pray for good exam results:clap2:
I enjoy it, mostly. It will be hard this year, as the days and therefore the fasts will be long, but it really brings the whole family together and stops me from trawling through the cabinets when I'm bored.

I initially hate waking up early at 1/2 AM, but you eventually get used to it. We all somehow find ourselves watching the Food Network channel when we're fasting, which is pretty ironic. And of course the yummy food we get at the end of the day, as my mother specially makes lovely dishes like lasagne, or steak instead of roti.

Apart from that, I find that it is a very humbling experience, and generally makes us a lot nicer as no one has the energy to fight. :h:
Reply 8
I would be even hungrier than I am usually. :c

Original post by flyingpanda
I enjoy it, mostly. It will be hard this year, as the days and therefore the fasts will be long, but it really brings the whole family together and stops me from trawling through the cabinets when I'm bored.

I initially hate waking up early at 1/2 AM, but you eventually get used to it. We all somehow find ourselves watching the Food Network channel when we're fasting, which is pretty ironic. And of course the yummy food we get at the end of the day, as my mother specially makes lovely dishes like lasagne, or steak instead of roti.

Apart from that, I find that it is a very humbling experience, and generally makes us a lot nicer as no one has the energy to fight. :h:

Apparently I sometimes start to sleep talk when i have to wake up in the morning. I'm not very good at dealing with lack of sleep :h:
I don't fast any more, but I have nothing but respect for those who do in these long hours.
Original post by Manz too divine
I don't fast any more, but I have nothing but respect for those who do in these long hours.

Is there any reason for not wanting to fast or is it just because it's too hard? If you dont mind me asking.
Looking forward to Ramadhan, but I only wish I could make more use of it... inshaAllah I will try my best
Apparently I sometimes start to sleep talk when i have to wake up in the morning. I'm not very good at dealing with lack of sleep :h:

Ahahaha, I sleep talk anyway, according to my sister.

But hopefully you'll get used to it. I initially feel really cold in the mornings so I have that to look forward to. :h:
Reply 14
I could never give up my Icecream!
I'm a Muslim yet I disagree with the concept. If its supposed to help the poor and needy, we don't need to fast because it neither helps them out and makes us have near death experiences. Why can't we just do the whole giving money to those in need like those who can't fast do? Because fasting makes no sense other than bringing our faith closer and cleansing sins.
Is there any reason for not wanting to fast or is it just because it's too hard? If you dont mind me asking.

I used to fast as a child, but the hours were a lot shorter. Plus I was far more pious back then. But recently my faith has been diminishing and it's just getting longer and harder. So I always end up cracking and just fumbling under pressure.
Original post by Rhythmical
I'm a Muslim yet I disagree with the concept. If its supposed to help the poor and needy, we don't need to fast because it neither helps them out and makes us have near death experiences. Why can't we just do the whole giving money to those in need like those who can't fast do? Because fasting makes no sense other than bringing our faith closer and cleansing sins.

Its more about self-restraint and it does help the poor. By fasting Muslims should become more empathetic with the poor making us more charitable. Not only that, it gives us a chance to show our love to Allah by giving up something so important for just a few hours. By starving we also lose our bad deeds and get good deeds instead which will help us enter paradise.

So there is a huge point when it comes to fasting. If you choose not to fast it is your own choice but don't try and dissuade others.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its more about self-restraint, and it does help the poor. By fasting Muslims should become more empathetic with the poor making us more charitable. Not only that, it gives us a chance to show our love to Allah by giving up something so important for just a few ours. By starving we also lose our bad deeds and get good deeds instead which will help us enter paradise.

So there is a huge point when it comes to fasting. If you choose not to fast it is your own choice but don't try and dissuade others.

Okay fair enough I'm not trying to dissuade people, I'm just saying that it could serve better if we give money to them rather than just fast, it seems more viable that way. A lot of people use Ramadan as an excuse to cleanse their sins and then not even bother to pray later on when it's all finished.
Original post by Rhythmical

We don't fast to help the poor and needy, one of the reasons of fasting is to feel what the poor feel everyday, giving us an insight into their suffering. Also fasting isn't that difficult, I wouldn't describe not eating for a full day as 'a near death experience',

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending