The Student Room Group

What do you have to do to pass these ridiculous Waitrose application forms!?!?

I tried applying at two different Waitrose near my area as I would like to get a summer job there.

When I applied to one of the store, I filled in 2 application forms . They basically asked you questions describing if you were in certain situations, what decision would you make, choose answer a.b.c or d. I answered them truthfully and a few days later for rejected, saying other applicants answered better then you.

So I tried applying to the other store. I signed in as returning applicant, and this time I only had to fill in one form...which was strange... This time I answered a bit differently, steering towards the "I would ask a manager for help" answer or something along those lines. I go rejected AGAIN. I was absolutely gutted.

I mean what on earth do you have to do/answer in order to pass the application form!? The questions seem ridiculous when you read them. How did you answer them when you applied? Is it more luck? Do you have to know someone inside whos working already to get the job?
They dont even read the C.V's!! I volunteer already and thats good experience when ti comes to knowing about customer satisfaction, taking care of problems in different situations etc.

I am going to apply one last time but need advice :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dont sign in as an exisiting user, register again so you get another attempt. And when answering the questions try and always make sure the customer is put first.
Try not to bother the manager too much in your answers, they're very busy ^_^
Reply 3
I feel you. I applied 4 times, did the test four times, and got rejected each time. I even got a waitrose employee to help me with one of the tests and I still got rejected. I don't understand what they want? It isn't like I am incapable. It's just ridiculous. What do you need to to pass?
I just applied last week and have an interview today. I used to work there aswell and both times i applied through the website and haven't known anyone before hand. When answering the questions I think you should think about the fact that this business is different to others, you're a partner its more of a democracy. try to do most things on your own or with help from other colleagues but only rely on your manager if you really need it. really read the questions and take in every bit, is it a busy day, what is your manager doing, are there other colleagues around that could help. could you do the job on your own the right way without affecting the quality of your work.
Original post by OceanRose
I just applied last week and have an interview today. I used to work there aswell and both times i applied through the website and haven't known anyone before hand. When answering the questions I think you should think about the fact that this business is different to others, you're a partner its more of a democracy. try to do most things on your own or with help from other colleagues but only rely on your manager if you really need it. really read the questions and take in every bit, is it a busy day, what is your manager doing, are there other colleagues around that could help. could you do the job on your own the right way without affecting the quality of your work.

I did answer differently many times! 1st time it was asking the managers help, other time it was helping the business, then other time it was ding it byyourself and not bothering the manager.

The test DOES have right and wrong answers. Its an automatic reply from the computer system receiving the tests. You need to get the questions correct before going onto the next step. Its absolute luck in passing it, tbh you could keep changing your answers here and there, if you dont get the questions right, you wont pass through.
If you cant answer them well why would they give you an interview???
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
I did answer differently many times! 1st time it was asking the managers help, other time it was helping the business, then other time it was ding it byyourself and not bothering the manager.

The test DOES have right and wrong answers. Its an automatic reply from the computer system receiving the tests. You need to get the questions correct before going onto the next step. Its absolute luck in passing it, tbh you could keep changing your answers here and there, if you dont get the questions right, you wont pass through.

The test isn't all computer based. I used to work at Waitrose and my former manager told me she really liked my answers on the online tests, so obviously they take everything into consideration as it is the managers who decide if you get an interview. I also just attended another interview yesterday and they really look for you knowing the ethos and applying that to everything you do. You shouldn't present yourself as a 'new employee' but someone who knows what they're doing
Original post by elizahughes
The test isn't all computer based. I used to work at Waitrose and my former manager told me she really liked my answers on the online tests, so obviously they take everything into consideration as it is the managers who decide if you get an interview. I also just attended another interview yesterday and they really look for you knowing the ethos and applying that to everything you do. You shouldn't present yourself as a 'new employee' but someone who knows what they're doing

how can they "like" the answers on your test? I feel like that means you could just randomly guess and somehow fill the ethos if thats the case?
Original post by scrawlx101
how can they "like" the answers on your test? I feel like that means you could just randomly guess and somehow fill the ethos if thats the case?

Obviously I'm not 100% sure but I have an idea of how they may do it. Because a lot of the answers are similar, perhaps you get a certain amount of points per answer, like 4 points for the most desirable answer, 3 points for the second most desirable, etc. Then you need a certain amount of points to pass the test. However, as it is the managers who decide who gets an interview, I'm guessing they look over how you answered it to get an idea of what kind of decisions you'd make, as well as looking at your written answers once you've passed the test. I could be wrong though :smile:
I think its unfair.

Passing this test does not equate to being able to do the job
They use these tests to single peoole out knowing a small percentage will pass.

80 percent of the time you get jobs through connections which sucks.
I fell yoyr pain. I have been there
Reply 13
I thought they wouldn't be bad but I've just failed for two of the jobs -_- I passed the asda questionnaire though but I think these ones are too hard. At least they let you know quickly though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blackstarr
I think its unfair.

Passing this test does not equate to being able to do the job

Exactly! If there all "for the customer" when why don't they just accept C.V's, read them and enrol peole/invite them to another interview if they have had jobs/experience that relate to customer care. E.G I volunteer somewhere once a week, I work at a restaurant a few days a week, I have worked in offices for a little while as well. That shows, and from knowing myself from experience, that I know a lot about customer satisfaction and experience!
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
Exactly! If there all "for the customer" when why don't they just accept C.V's, read them and enrol peole/invite them to another interview if they have had jobs/experience that relate to customer care. E.G I volunteer somewhere once a week, I work at a restaurant a few days a week, I have worked in offices for a little while as well. That shows, and from knowing myself from experience, that I know a lot about customer satisfaction and experience!

Agree
Reply 16
I wish i knew I have had the same experience. I really thought i answered well.
Reply 17
Just applied for a job, last time I applied I had to do loads of tests but this time I haven't had to do any???
I just applies using the ethos of the Partners and put the customer as a focus. I was unsuccessful. I have held fr more responsible and qualified jobs than this, managing staff, and I still 'scored too low'
I passed the tests, then failed at the interview. I lead the group exersize as the other 5 people were quite shy. I invited their views on everything and brought the team together. In the interview I was drilled about my time in Iraq and Afghanistan which seams to go against me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending