The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fingernagel
Does anyone have good examples of pressure groups with various outcomes? I can't think of any that were small but successful :/
Good luck everyone!!

You can talk about how the NFU are successful, as a powerful insider group. They have to, by law, be directly confronted on topics to do with agriculture, highlighted by the Agriculture Act (1947).

Greenpeace, a prominent outsider group, hung up a banner on Mount Rushmore, with a picture of Obama's face and a quote saying 'STOP GLOBAL WARMING' in 2009.

Greenpeace's further direct action resulted in a major paper company, APP (Asia Pulp & Paper) vowing to reduce deforestation levels, to a minimum.

Hope those examples helped :smile:
Original post by nuradean
People, I am in a crisis at the moment...

Unit 1
Topic 1 - Democracy and political participation
Topic 2 - Party policies and ideas
Topic 3 - Elections
Topic 4 - Pressure groups

Is it okay for me to revise 2 of these topics, my preferred ones are Topic 1 and Topic 4, as there is so much to talk about, and the information for each sinks in quickly. Am I revising incorrectly? Like should I be revising all 4 (I briefly know the other two but not in detail). So choosing to revise Democracy and political participation and Pressure groups... alright or nah?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond to this post!

I'm only revising two topics, too. A lot of people do this, just make sure you know both topics really in depth and thoroughly.
I'm doing democracy and parties, so yeah you could totally learn just two. Yeah, a lot of people will tell you it's a risk so if you don't want to risk it just revise another one for backup. I'm sticking with two, though lols
(edited 7 years ago)
For unit 1 you only really need to know two topics, but it can be good to know three or four in case the question is horrendous. My school only teaches three of the topics, so maybe stick with the ones you know well and flick through a third one just in case?

Thanks, and yup, will do. I might flick through elections to put my mind at ease. I just feel like pressure groups are so interesting, their works and everything. Visiting Greenpeace HQ made me see everything first hand, great experience.
Original post by nuradean
You can talk about how the NFU are successful, as a powerful insider group. They have to, by law, be directly confronted on topics to do with agriculture, highlighted by the Agriculture Act (1947).

Greenpeace, a prominent outsider group, hung up a banner on Mount Rushmore, with a picture of Obama's face and a quote saying 'STOP GLOBAL WARMING' in 2009.

Greenpeace's further direct action resulted in a major paper company, APP (Asia Pulp & Paper) vowing to reduce deforestation levels, to a minimum.

Hope those examples helped :smile:

Thank you! Greenpeace is always an interesting one to talk about.
Any ideas for smaller outsider groups? I was thinking the Gurkha justice campaign but idk if that counts as small, or fathers for justice but I don't know if they count as successful aha
Any examples of tyranny of the minority? (Pressure groups)
Thank you! Greenpeace is always an interesting one to talk about.
Any ideas for smaller outsider groups? I was thinking the Gurkha justice campaign but idk if that counts as small, or fathers for justice but I don't know if they count as successful aha

There are some such as Fathers 4 Justice (November 2015)
Direct Action: Sat on top of Buckingham Palace and said that taking a bullet would have been 'worth the risk'. A man dressed as batman and campaigned on the Queen's balcony.

Justice for Gurkhas, a campaign led by Joanna Lumley, that retired Gurkhas (Nepalese troops serving in the British army) should have the right to settle in the UK.
Direct Action: Their campaign was dramatically successful and the government was forced, in 2009, to reverse it's policies denying Gurkhas the right to stay in the UK.

Glad to help fingernagel :smile: :smile:
Does anyone have any predictions for unit 1 - democracy and pressure groups? I've heard referendums are likely to come up.
Original post by gertrude_
Does anyone have any predictions for unit 1 - democracy and pressure groups? I've heard referendums are likely to come up.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465059469.360937.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465059478.744705.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
Hey guys,
I just realised i'm really ****ed for this exam, if someone has some good essay plans for questions on elections could they please post them? Thanks!!!
Original post by j5994
Hey guys,
I just realised i'm really ****ed for this exam, if someone has some good essay plans for questions on elections could they please post them? Thanks!!!

If you look on the previous pages there's some for to what extent do electoral systems produce different outcomes which has got everything you need

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've totally forgotten how to answer five mark questions, can anyone help?
Original post by Pokémontrainer

Ah well it's different for all questions...say if it's about ways to get legitimacy you would wanna define it and then talk about the ways...some ask specifically to define so that's what you'd do
but it's probably best just to define whatever 5 mark key question there is and then a more indepth explanation with one or two examples of that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Ah well it's different for all questions...say if it's about ways to get legitimacy you would wanna define it and then talk about the ways...some ask specifically to define so that's what you'd do
but it's probably best just to define whatever 5 mark key question there is and then a more indepth explanation with one or two examples of that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!
My teacher said you can either do five basic points with examples, or three developed points with examples. When it's relevant to the question, to be sure I also include definitions.
Original post by Banana208
I second that too please

For 5 markers should we give one example or not? Because in the examiners report they're always saying how students underestimate how much knowledge you need an end up under writing. Or they waffle far too much and over write. A lot of people don't achieve balance. ANy tips on that? its only 5 marks but it could change grades if you got all of them in the bag.
Well, after sending a bank of answered five mark questions to my teacher, when I got them back from him I found that I had 9 out of 10 time lost out on one or two marks where I didn't provide examples. For instance, with three well explained points and one example he gave me three marks. To get five he commented that I should have included two more examples (one for each point).

Keep it to one in-depth paragraph, containing key words, a good thorough but succinct explanation and examples- make sure you stick to the question, too! Don't waffle or write too much, because you don't want to waste time on the lowest marked question.

hope I helped :wink:
Original post by Louise12307
How much are we expected to write for the 25 marker? I just did a practice of a part of a past paper and I literally ran out of time on the last word - I had done a quick intro, 3 paragraphs and a conclusion on the 25 marker.. That's all I could get in! Writing like a madwoman!!!! Is this enough?
Well, the essay planning sheets that my teacher gave me said to write three to five well explained *points and COUNTERED* (so PEELed), plus a good introduction and a good conclusion...I guess you are right, but I would do four paragraphs plus an intro and a conclusion to be safe.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LennyBicknel
Have abandoned Thatcherism:
> Increased funding for the NHS (Thatcher sought for an increasingly independent NHS)
> Less Thatcher-esque approach to social issues (e.g. gay marriage; rehabilitation instead of punishment in prisons).

Have not abandoned Thatcherism:
> Increased privatisation (in areas of the NHS and certain sectors e.g. Royal Mail)
> Spending cuts instead of tax rises (Thatcher believed tax increases harmed hard-working individuals).
> Reduction in the welfare state (Thatcher believed it created a nation of dependence; limited individualism)
> More authoritarian approach to terrorism (Snoopers Charter)

thank you so much xx
Original post by IRoranth
Keep it to one in-depth paragraph, containing key words, a good thorough but succinct explanation and examples- make sure you stick to the question, too! Don't waffle or write too much, because you don't want to waste time on the lowest marked question.

Original post by paradiddlepad
My teacher said you can either do five basic points with examples, or three developed points with examples. When it's relevant to the question, to be sure I also include definitions.

Yes, thanks guys. I just faltered a bit. I agree, shouldn't dwell on the five marker too much. :afraid: I spent far too long on them last year.
Original post by paradiddlepad
Well, after sending a bank of answered five mark questions to my teacher, when I got them back from him I found that I had 9 out of 10 time lost out on one or two marks where I didn't provide examples. For instance, with three well explained points and one example he gave me three marks. To get five he commented that I should have included two more examples (one for each point).

Original post by IRoranth

Thank you both :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending