The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone. I have received an offer from cambridge and I wanted to ask those of you who are in your first year what's it like? Is it fun or just all work? How's the accomodation and how do I apply for it and what was freshers like?
Original post by hopefulmedic97
Hey everyone. I have received an offer from cambridge and I wanted to ask those of you who are in your first year what's it like? Is it fun or just all work? How's the accomodation and how do I apply for it and what was freshers like?

Well done on your offer!! I'm in first year! OK, so not going to lie to you, there is a lot of work but it depends on what class of grade you want at the end of the year. People who want firsts will obviously work a lot more than those who are OK with a low 2.1/2.2 (2.2 is NOT a bad class btw, especially for medicine!)

Fun is a word I would use to describe my first year so far - but that's because I absolutely love what I'm studying so I call learning 'fun' but more conventional fun is definitely achieved by anyone who wants to - you can easily go out once a week, got to a formal once every two weeks and chill with your friends regularly and do very well! But some people are perfectly happy to have a small circle of friends and spend much more time in the library, and others want to chill out even more than I just described and perhaps just work harder over the holidays. It's really up to you.

Accommodation is individual to the college so kind of pointless asking a general university thread.

Freshers 'week' is not even a week, but I still had an awesome time personally, just not as wild as it might've been at another uni - although maybe it could've been if I hung out with certain people haha.
Original post by aprocrastinator
Well done on your offer!! I'm in first year! OK, so not going to lie to you, there is a lot of work but it depends on what class of grade you want at the end of the year. People who want firsts will obviously work a lot more than those who are OK with a low 2.1/2.2 (2.2 is NOT a bad class btw, especially for medicine!)

Fun is a word I would use to describe my first year so far - but that's because I absolutely love what I'm studying so I call learning 'fun' but more conventional fun is definitely achieved by anyone who wants to - you can easily go out once a week, got to a formal once every two weeks and chill with your friends regularly and do very well! But some people are perfectly happy to have a small circle of friends and spend much more time in the library, and others want to chill out even more than I just described and perhaps just work harder over the holidays. It's really up to you.

Accommodation is individual to the college so kind of pointless asking a general university thread.

Freshers 'week' is not even a week, but I still had an awesome time personally, just not as wild as it might've been at another uni - although maybe it could've been if I hung out with certain people haha.

Thank you!!! Yeh I do enjoy learning but just a bit snowed under with work at the moment so I guess that's why I'm asking. Why isn't freshers week longer?
Thank you!!! Yeh I do enjoy learning but just a bit snowed under with work at the moment so I guess that's why I'm asking. Why isn't freshers week longer?

Cambridge weeks start and end on Thursdays...so most people arrived on Thursday, but introductory lectures started on Tuesday/Wednesday. Just how it is.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Cambridge weeks start and end on Thursdays...so most people arrived on Thursday, but introductory lectures started on Tuesday/Wednesday. Just how it is.

Did some people arrive earlier than that it is that when everyone arrived?
Did some people arrive earlier than that it is that when everyone arrived?

I personally arrived on the saturday and lectures properly began on the thursday, as thursday is the start of the week for some reason!
Original post by aprocrastinator
I personally arrived on the saturday and lectures properly began on the thursday, as thursday is the start of the week for some reason!

Hahaha sounds odd!! Thank you!! I really hope I get the grades!!! Maybe see you next year?
Original post by igor_karkaroff
Hey guys, my scores are ; S1:6.5 S2:6.9 S3:4A and I'm an international applicant applying to Gonville and Cauis. Any views on whether I stand a chance for an interview?

Thanks in advance

Nah you'll defo get rejected m9
Nah you'll defo get rejected m9

Hey thanks for the boost of confidence :smile:
Original post by igor_karkaroff
Hey thanks for the boost of confidence :smile:

np m10
Yo guys when do we get our results? During May Week isn't it?

Back in the day, we found out our 2nd MB pass/fail results in May Week, but Tripos results came after the end of term. Your DoS should be able to tell you.

Part IA? 21/06/16 according to the Cambridge website.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/examinations/all-students-timetable

2nd MB stuff will almost certainly appear on CamSis before then. If you click "When can I view my results?" on CamSis, it might give you the exact dates.
Original post by Helenia
Back in the day, we found out our 2nd MB pass/fail results in May Week, but Tripos results came after the end of term. Your DoS should be able to tell you.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Part IA? 21/06/16 according to the Cambridge website.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/examinations/all-students-timetable

2nd MB stuff will almost certainly appear on CamSis before then. If you click "When can I view my results?" on CamSis, it might give you the exact dates.

Ah, thanks guys :smile:
Reply 994
Original post by lilixxx1000
Yey it's been made!

Grades:
iGCSE: 9A* 1A
AS: 4A
Biology 284/300 (getting a photocopy of my coursework as that's where I lost all those marks)
Chemistry 300/300
Economics 200/200
Maths 485/500 (doing further maths AS across both years which is why I did 5 modules this year. So next year I'll have 4 A2 and 5 AS grades)
SUMS average is 97, average across all 4 is 98 if I've calculated correctly.
Not dropping anything at A2 - currently predicted A*A*A*A but should go up to 4A* as I got full UMS in econ.
Doing an EPQ on gene doping in sport.

Work experience and volunteering (what I'm putting in my PS):
2 weeks shadowing in paeds department of a hospital
2 weeks shadowing a doctor in India
3 days at a GP
Weekly volunteering at a centre for disabled children
1 week volunteering at a psychogeriatric home

In terms of colleges I've narrowed it down to 4: Christ's, Clare, Caius and Magdalene
I'm leaning towards Christ's atm but would like any opinions!! :smile:

WOW! People like you are my inspiration :smile:
Original post by snk321
WOW! People like you are my inspiration :smile:

Haha thanks :P I'm just finishing my first year at Christ's so let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 996
Original post by lilixxx1000
Haha thanks :P I'm just finishing my first year at Christ's so let me know if you have any questions :smile:

To be honest I was really impressed with the way you wrote that you volunteered, that shows that your a very good person at heart as well as clever and good with people, they're all qualities I admire and wish to have :smile:
can anyone remember when during may week they got their 2nd MB results?
Original post by man_like
can anyone remember when during may week they got their 2nd MB results?

Hi, I believe it was on the Friday (just gone), this year we expect to get MIMS on Monday and the full classification on Tuesday. You should already have received results for HOM and FAB as part of the second MB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending