The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
That would make a difference even if you didn't practice complex numbers for STEPs ...:tongue:
In his booklets he tries to convince you to relax and just observe the question for a while so much that I can consider it a mild form of propaganda .
I think he plans to introduce complex numbers in mechanics and statistics in all five questions as well

You think he is not right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Insight314
You think he is not right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that but it would be great fun if he does so ,I mean I don't even know if that's possible in stats.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep
It's not that but it would be great fun if he does so

My question was: Do you think he is not right in telling people to relax when they get thrown off by difficult questions in the exam?

Your post kind of suggested that you think that Siklos shouldn't be telling people to relax. Oh well never mind..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 364

Ah very in detail then
Did everybody get different solutions in ii.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My question was: Do you think he is not right in telling people to relax when they get thrown off by difficult questions in the exam?

Your post kind of suggested that you think that Siklos shouldn't be telling people to relax. Oh well never mind..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I suggested that telling candidates to relax if they can't solve a question is sort of useless don't you think?
Of course that's what I want to do but HOW ? You can't help it but think that these exams are important to you and if you can't think a way of solving them quickly you are panicked .
But how is this related to my answer answer that he might introduce complex number in applied maths
Original post by Vesniep
Yes I suggested that telling candidates to relax if they can't solve a question is sort of useless don't you think?
Of course that's what I want to do but HOW ? You can't help it but think that these exams are important to you and if you can't think a way of solving them quickly you are panicked .
But how is this related to my answer answer that he might introduce complex number in applied maths

smoke a fat one
@IrrationalRoot Hey did I remember correctly that said u did Putnam problem A1 2015 a while back? I just had a think about it and got a solution but it only takes up half a page so idk if ive missed something obvious :smile:
Original post by Number Nine
smoke a fat one

don't you like the idea of a paper with complex numbers in applied maths? It would be fun , I think I'll start laughing and crying simultaneously during the exam ,because in IIIs I pretty much always do stats and other applied stuff .
Original post by Vesniep
don't you like the idea of a paper with complex numbers in applied maths? It would be fun , I think I'll start laughing and crying simultaneously during the exam ,because in IIIs I pretty much always do stats and other applied stuff .

i only do pure because im shortsighted
Original post by Number Nine
i only do pure because im shortsighted

or purist
Reply 373
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yep I noticed and it was extremely easy as well so definitely not doing that again.
I swear this is the third time I've seen blatant duplicates of Qs. Considering how far back 2006 is I would think a large number of candidates would have done 1992 as practice and will have done that Q, which is pretty bad.

Every single question in 2006 bar 2 are duplicates from previous papers. Krollo and I cross-references them on the last thread.

Complex number flags have been risen
On STEP Easter School this year, Siklos presented a Hitler video of STEP III 2013 which was infested with complex numbers. He went into detail about how to calm down during exam IF we get complex numbers on this year's paper. Coincidence? I think not. The devil is in the details. Complex numbers is 8 questions this year. Watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt mind some normla geometry complex numbers this time. Will help me alot with a few normal weird ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I wouldnt mind some normla geometry complex numbers this time. Will help me alot with a few normal weird ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am curious, what is the likelihood of getting rejected by Cambridge if you meet STEP but miss your A-level offer? Not that I think I am going to miss my offer, but this half-term I haven't done as much A-level revision as I thought I would and I mainly focused on doing STEP (been doing one paper of STEP and practice other questions every day) and you know I am getting a bit worried that maybe I should've focused on A-levels as well. This is more on principle, and less on how I am currently doing, I am still on my target of getting A* in Further Maths (even if I need more work with M5 and M4 is easy but only done a few papers) and A in Physics should be manageable. I don't know m8, just kind of worried that I haven't done as much work the past week, I usually also have a better work ethic during school days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
@IrrationalRoot Hey did I remember correctly that said u did Putnam problem A1 2015 a while back? I just had a think about it and got a solution but it only takes up half a page so idk if ive missed something obvious :smile:

I lost my solution lol. But yeah it wasn't too bad, not surprised that it only took you half a page :smile:.
Original post by Zacken
Every single question in 2006 bar 2 are duplicates from previous papers. Krollo and I cross-references them on the last thread.

No way wtf?! Were they just feeling super lazy when they wrote that paper? XD
I am curious, what is the likelihood of getting rejected by Cambridge if you meet STEP but miss your A-level offer? Not that I think I am going to miss my offer, but this half-term I haven't done as much A-level revision as I thought I would and I mainly focused on doing STEP (been doing one paper of STEP and practice other questions every day) and you know I am getting a bit worried that maybe I should've focused on A-levels as well. This is more on principle, and less on how I am currently doing, I am still on my target of getting A* in Further Maths (even if I need more work with M5 and M4 is easy but only done a few papers) and A in Physics should be manageable. I don't know m8, just kind of worried that I haven't done as much work the past week, I usually also have a better work ethic during school days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am pretty sure you will hardly ever get rejected if you get 1,1 in II III. Unless you get D's in FP2 or something even then they won't reject people with 1,1 or higher. Im hopeing to flop a levels and meet step so they let me in lol.
Leaving it short 2nd time in a row.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending