The Student Room Group

Standard Deviation

(Source: REVISE EDEXCEL GCSE Statistics Revision Guide)

Hello,

Please, can you help me solve this question about the mean, variance and standard deviation:

You have to use: √Σx²/n - x/n)²

The question is, the number of visits (x) to a dentist was recorded over 10 days.
Σx = 200
Σx² = 480
Work out the mean, the variance and the standard deviation.

Thanks
Original post by sunflowerlion
(Source: REVISE EDEXCEL GCSE Statistics Revision Guide)

Hello,

Please, can you help me solve this question about the mean, variance and standard deviation:

You have to use: √Σx²/n - x/n)²

The question is, the number of visits (x) to a dentist was recorded over 10 days.
Σx = 200
Σx² = 480
Work out the mean, the variance and the standard deviation.

Thanks

It's recorded over 10 days so n is 10. You've been given Σx and Σx² and just sub these into the equations for mean, variance and standard deviation.
When I try to do that, it comes up with an error. I don't think I'm typing it in right.
Original post by sunflowerlion
When I try to do that, it comes up with an error. I don't think I'm typing it in right.

Are those numbers definitely correct? I tried subbing it in and i I got math error as well so I can only think the values are wrong.
Original post by miless090
Are those numbers definitely correct? I tried subbing it in and i I got math error as well so I can only think the values are wrong.

Yeah they are. I've just checked answers in back:
Mean = 20
Variance = 80
Standard deviation = 8.9
But I have no idea how they got that, there's no workings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The numbers can't be right- you can't square root a negative! The book might have made a typo- if you use Σx² = 4800 then you get the right standard deviation and variance :smile:
Original post by somegirlcalledea
The numbers can't be right- you can't square root a negative! The book might have made a typo- if you use Σx² = 4800 then you get the right standard deviation and variance :smile:

Thanks a lot:smile: There was a typo in the book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest