The Student Room Group

How many languages do you know?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flyingpanda
And here I thought you were done with school. :lies: :lol:

Lmao nice one!:lol::lol:
Well, almost done my friend almost done. (with highschool smh-still got college and hopefully uni to goo:colonhash:)
English, and disappointing amounts of French and PHP.
English, a decent amount of Japanese, a little bit of French, Spanish and Vietnamese, a few words of various other languages, and a bit of Latin as well.

In two years I should know Danish and Mandarin, as well as Ancient Egyptian!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
fluently: english, arabic
half: french
learning: spanish
and like 3 words persian #dead lol
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Lmao nice one!:lol::lol:
Well, almost done my friend almost done. (with highschool smh-still got college and hopefully uni to goo:colonhash:)

How did you learn so many languages? I would love to know so many, but I'm terrible at them. :h:
Original post by Ninjasrule
I'm fluent in Thai and Lao (but I'm illiterate due to dyslexia in both those languages only, and giving up on reading after moving away from Thailand - I can still say what letters are and sound like, but I can't put them together in words and sentences).

Spoiler

Oh my God. You're a genius! How did you manage that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am fluent in English, German and Spanish. Also can mostly identify what language people are speaking based on their accent etc. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
English and I'm semi fluent in Spanish.

Really want to learn German and Mandarin in the future through
How did you learn so many languages? I would love to know so many, but I'm terrible at them. :h:

Well partly cause my mom and dad goes crazy and speaks a mix of these indian ones at home so I grew up with it. Annd I also moved around a lot since (India/france/spain/america and ofc Uk:biggrin:) I was little so I obtained bits from here and there and yeah I just got used to them I guess:colondollar:. Plus I also love languages and I decided to teach myself Telugu and Italian. Telugu was fairly okay only cause I knew the other Indians so its easier to link bits and bobs but Italian is still in process. And ofc theres french/spanish/latin from school too, so that helped.

Naw trust me, I know its really hard at first and you just wanna give up sometime but I'd say keep going with it and surely but slowly you'll see it coming together more:h: Youtube lesson/vid thingies help with the pronunciation and things. I'd say try that. Annnnnd go one by one with the learning diff languages, too much will get confusing!

Are you in school still? What languages did you/are you doing?:h:
english spanish portuguese french german cantonese and learning latin and russian
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Well partly cause my mom and dad goes crazy and speaks a mix of these indian ones at home so I grew up with it. Annd I also moved around a lot since (India/france/spain/america and ofc Uk:biggrin:) I was little so I obtained bits from here and there and yeah I just got used to them I guess:colondollar:. Plus I also love languages and I decided to teach myself Telugu and Italian. Telugu was fairly okay only cause I knew the other Indians so its easier to link bits and bobs but Italian is still in process. And ofc theres french/spanish/latin from school too, so that helped.

Naw trust me, I know its really hard at first and you just wanna give up sometime but I'd say keep going with it and surely but slowly you'll see it coming together more:h: Youtube lesson/vid thingies help with the pronunciation and things. I'd say try that. Annnnnd go one by one with the learning diff languages, too much will get confusing!

Are you in school still? What languages did you/are you doing?:h:

Ayyyy that's so cool. What was it like to travel around so much?

I tried to learn the alphabet in Korean once, doing a bit every day for a week, but then I gave up, as I had too much work to do. And plus every time I'd try to learn it, my parents would ask why I wasn't trying to learn Urdu instead (being their native language.)

Yeah, I'm still in sixth form. I learned French at GCSE level, and was okay at it, but wasn't very motivated towards actually learning it. I can understand a bit of Urdu, but am quite rubbish at speaking it, and that stint in Korean didn't really amount to anything. I'll probably try to learn it when I have more time over the summer though, hopefully. :h:
Original post by Edminzodo
Oh my God. You're a genius! How did you manage that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I mentioned , the majority of my family are multilingual ahah I guess it just runs in the family ^_^
I was born in South Africa where I learnt Afrikaans and Zulu.I used to go to the North of Thailand every Christmas where they speak a dialect called Isaan which is a mix of Thai and Lao. We often had to visit the temples at weekends where we chanted in Pali and so naturally I got curious and learnt more of it.
When we got back to England I went to a Roman Catholic school and learnt Latin.
In the summers I went to Finland to stay with my aunt & uncle who had their Danish side of the family over so I learnt Finnish, Estonian, Swedish & Danish there. I then learnt Norwegian because why not, right?
Towards the end of primary school I got introduced to Spanish. Moved away to the Isle of Man and learnt Spanish, Italian and French in high school, surpassed the teachers within just a few months except for French because the teacher is a native speaker of it.
Dutch I got interested in because it's the root of Afrikaans. So I found some friends who taught me.
Flemish I learnt while on a trip in Belguim.
Last year I learnt Esperanto through the internet :smile:
Toki Pona I can't remember if I learnt this year or last year but that was also through the internet.

Don't know if I've missed anything out...
Tried learning German last year also but got sidetracked and then never got back round to it. I'll probably start after I've completed the Mandarin challenge ^_^
Ayyyy that's so cool. What was it like to travel around so much?

I tried to learn the alphabet in Korean once, doing a bit every day for a week, but then I gave up, as I had too much work to do. And plus every time I'd try to learn it, my parents would ask why I wasn't trying to learn Urdu instead (being their native language.)

Yeah, I'm still in sixth form. I learned French at GCSE level, and was okay at it, but wasn't very motivated towards actually learning it. I can understand a bit of Urdu, but am quite rubbish at speaking it, and that stint in Korean didn't really amount to anything. I'll probably try to learn it when I have more time over the summer though, hopefully. :h:

It was so much fun. Especially understanding the cultures and ofc the food mann:colone: But sometimes I hated not being able to stay at one place for not long enough, until now, when I actually want to go travel again-these damned exams make me want to rip my hair out. But anyway

Omg trust me these asian parents tho. When I was little I knew how to speak Hindi and Malayalam(mother tongue) but didn't know how to read and write. So they made me do like 2 hours per day doing these in the summer/weekends. :naughty:. But tbh thanks to them now I can do these:biggrin:
And I get you with the lack of time and ofc same here with gcse's-I started to sort of hate doing Spanish in school. But I'm glad thats over and done with tbh.

Naw yeah summers a good time to do this, but of course there are other much more fun things to do then too:lol:

I tried to learn the alphabet in Korean once, doing a bit every day for a week, but then I gave up, as I had too much work to do.

Look up 'Hangul comic strip' it's literally the best thing ever for learning the Korean alphabet :smile: thanks to that I must have learnt it within an hour :biggrin:
Original post by Ninjasrule
Look up 'Hangul comic strip' it's literally the best thing ever for learning the Korean alphabet :smile: thanks to that I must have learnt it within an hour :biggrin:

Will do, thank you for recommending it! :ahee:
Fluent in English, can hold a conversation in French and German, I know a bit of Spanish by virtue of learning French, and I'm learning Russian.
Will do, thank you for recommending it! :ahee:

no problem :wink: good luck!
3 and a half

English
Serbian
Croatian
German kind of
I know many languages,too much to count.But the main ones are Tamil,English ,German,French and...so on.
English (first language)
French (because school)
Japanese (anime and karate taught me some basics)
And my mother tongue, which I'd prefer to keep a secret.

Quick Reply