The Student Room Group

What do people think about Ramadan (The month of fasting in Islam)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idrathernotsay
I'm Muslim and I'd just like to know, generally, what people thought of fasting from sunrise till sunset.

Yayyyyyy!!! Ramadan ..... Can't wait fr it !!:biggrin::smile::wink:
Original post by loveleest
I like the concept of it but I don't like it when little children are made to fast :/

Lol my parents did the opposite when I was young. I always wanted to fast since everyone else was doing it at like 7 but was never allowed to. :tongue:
Original post by AperfectBalance
Some guy told me it was disrespectful to eat near him. Like bloody hell you move

Disrespectful? lol, no. I'd be a mile away from all canteens if I were him. It is annoying when people do that. Though one time some kids were having a food fight at a party that I went to, although I was fasting, and they squirted juice in my face. They didn't mean anything by it and apologised when they realised I was fasting, but its nice to be aware.
Against it, its the month of Jihad for ISIS
Original post by CellucorC4
Against it, its the month of Jihad for ISIS

Are you asking for hate? It is a month of Jihad against one's desires and is definitely not for ISIS.
Are you asking for hate? It is a month of Jihad against one's desires and is definitely not for ISIS.

Its true

Also its not healthy to not eat and why do it for no reason?
Reply 46
Original post by champ_mc99
Lol my parents did the opposite when I was young. I always wanted to fast since everyone else was doing it at like 7 but was never allowed to. :tongue:

Same lol
I think most kids want to fast but it's their parents who don't allow them to.
I remember those half day fasts when I was a kid :tongue:
I'm Muslim and I'd just like to know, generally, what people thought of fasting from sunrise till sunset.

Dawn* till sunset.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Same lol
I think most kids want to fast but it's their parents who don't allow them to.
I remember those half day fasts when I was a kid :tongue:

In my language its called chiri Rosa!!!:biggrin:
Original post by CellucorC4
Its true

Also its not healthy to not eat and why do it for no reason?

Fasting has a lot of benefits that have been proven as said in this article http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lif...prise-you.html
Also Ramadan has existed a lot longer than ISIS. I celebrate Ramadan and last time I checked I wasn't a terrorist. I ask you to think before you speak and try not to insult people and their religions. You might be saying your own opinion but there is a right way of going about it.There is a reason people fast and I'm going to repeat what I said earlier in this thread"Its more about self-restraint and it does help the poor. By fasting Muslims should become more empathetic with the poor making us more charitable. Not only that, it gives us a chance to show our love to Allah by giving up something so important for just a few hours. By starving we also lose our bad deeds and get good deeds instead which will help us enter paradise"
I think that the premise is good, and would fast if the days were shorter even though I don't believe in Allah.

However, it was clearly meant for the people of Arabia, who fast for around 12 hours. The time differences around the world makes it ridiculous in some cases, possibly unhealthy.
Original post by WBZ144
I think that the premise is good, and would fast if the days were shorter even though I don't believe in Allah.

However, it was clearly meant for the people of Arabia, who fast for around 12 hours. The time differences around the world makes it ridiculous in some cases, possibly unhealthy.

The majority of the people around the world who fast long days are okay, with no real health issues on the whole, so doesn't that show that Ramadhan's not just for those living in the Middle East? :curious:
Original post by shahida sulaiman

In Punjabi, Chiri means "bird" :K:
Original post by Kryptonian
There's nothing wrong with that?

Very young children shouldn't be made to fast though!!

Very young? How old do you think?

If they are 8 years old or above, they can start fasting half the day in order to practice themselves effectively.
Original post by WBZ144

I wont deny about the timing, I mean I hate how long it lasts, but we, in a way have it easier because its not 40-50 degrees outside when we fast.
Original post by Rhythmical
Okay fair enough I'm not trying to dissuade people, I'm just saying that it could serve better if we give money to them rather than just fast, it seems more viable that way. A lot of people use Ramadan as an excuse to cleanse their sins and then not even bother to pray later on when it's all finished.

Zakat is also obligatory. Thats for the poor and needy.
Reply 56
yeah im muzzy too. ramadan is gr8 it always makes me lose so much weight im not even kidding
Yeah I get that. I mean it would've been nice if Ramadan and exams didn't clash but what can you do? I probably won't be fasting for the next two weeks because of my exams, that way if I get bad grades I cant blame the fact I was fasting. But it does mean I have to make it up at a later date which is kinda a pain.

Yeah it does suck that they clash. :frown:
Original post by Rhythmical
I'm a Muslim yet I disagree with the concept. If its supposed to help the poor and needy, we don't need to fast because it neither helps them out and makes us have near death experiences. Why can't we just do the whole giving money to those in need like those who can't fast do? Because fasting makes no sense other than bringing our faith closer and cleansing sins.

its not supposed to help the poor and needy

its supposed to make a person more pious and make them god conscious

If we read the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

O you who believe! Observing As-Sawm (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (pious)”[al-Baqarah 2:183]

we will know the reason why fasting was prescribed, which is taqwa (piety) and submission to Allaah. Taqwa means giving up haraam things, and in general terms includes both doing what is commanded and abstaining from what is forbidden. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it and offensive speech and behaviour, Allaah has no need of his giving up his food and drink.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6057. See also questions no.37658 and 37989.

https://islamqa.info/en/38064 - full read
Reply 59
Original post by shahida sulaiman

Haha I understood that :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending