The Student Room Group

Fresher's fear

Hello everyone!

I will be starting university this September. Very nervous and excited at the time
So what is it like studying accounting and finance?
Also I wouldn't be staying at halls so I'm scared I might end up being a loner with no friends? :frown:
Original post by Organic Popcorn
Hello everyone!

I will be starting university this September. Very nervous and excited at the time
Also I wouldn't be staying at halls so I'm scared I might end up being a loner with no friends? :frown:

:wavey:

I can't really give you much advice on A&F. I have a few friends who studied it, and the two things I've learnt..

If your course has a maths component, then just practice as much as you can and do past papers in order to get the best marks.

Don't leave coursework to the last minute. You seem to get a fair amount of coursework (including group ones) so work on them as soon as possible and finalise everything before the deadline, and be the one to take charge in your group if you can :tongue:

If you don't live in halls, it's not the end of the world - plenty of people don't. Just do your best to get involved in other ways - be it with people on your course or people in societies or what have you.
Original post by SeanFM
:wavey:

I can't really give you much advice on A&F. I have a few friends who studied it, and the two things I've learnt..

If your course has a maths component, then just practice as much as you can and do past papers in order to get the best marks.

Don't leave coursework to the last minute. You seem to get a fair amount of coursework (including group ones) so work on them as soon as possible and finalise everything before the deadline, and be the one to take charge in your group if you can :tongue:

If you don't live in halls, it's not the end of the world - plenty of people don't. Just do your best to get involved in other ways - be it with people on your course or people in societies or what have you.

Aww thank you for replying!! :smile: Do they have to write essays aswell? Lets just say I'm not the brightest when it comes to writing hehe
Aww thank you for replying!! :smile: Do they have to write essays aswell? Lets just say I'm not the brightest when it comes to writing hehe

:hat2:
As far as I know, yes. I don't know how many or how much, but I know for example, a friend recently wrote an essay (with a group) on the local bus services and something to do with that.

Don't worry, your uni should give you some kind of workshop/support for essay writing skills. At my uni, they even offer a unit (in A&F, not Maths :sad:) in the first year (that counts to your first year grade, which doesn't count towards your overall grade) training you to write essays and stuff like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Hello everyone!

i done a brief 9 weeks of accounting and finance...iv never wanted to kill myself so badly before that
Original post by SeanFM
:hat2:
As far as I know, yes. I don't know how many or how much, but I know for example, a friend recently wrote an essay (with a group) on the local bus services and something to do with that.

Don't worry, your uni should give you some kind of workshop/support for essay writing skills. At my uni, they even offer a unit (in A&F, not Maths :sad:) in the first year (that counts to your first year grade, which doesn't count towards your overall grade) training you to write essays and stuff like that.

Im thinking of joining greenwich, i hope thwy provide us the support thing hehe
I guess youre doing Maths? Best of luck for that :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
i done a brief 9 weeks of accounting and finance...iv never wanted to kill myself so badly before that

Omg please dont scare my poor soul :frown: is it that difficult? :frown:
Reply 7
Omg please dont scare my poor soul :frown: is it that difficult? :frown:

i only found it difficult as i literally cant do maths and find anything to do with numbers in large quantities quite difficult
Original post by shawtyb
i only found it difficult as i literally cant do maths and find anything to do with numbers in large quantities quite difficult

Ahh i see, i also have trouble with numbers esp if they have 6/7 digits lol
What did you find easy in the course? And also do you think practice can make these things easier?
Reply 9
Ahh i see, i also have trouble with numbers esp if they have 6/7 digits lol
What did you find easy in the course? And also do you think practice can make these things easier?

honestly? not much. just the differnet terms.
i couldnt even do the equations and things
and yea of course you can practise and get better, i just dont have time due to having 3 kids and other modules to do at the same time
Original post by shawtyb
honestly? not much. just the differnet terms.
i couldnt even do the equations and things
and yea of course you can practise and get better, i just dont have time due to having 3 kids and other modules to do at the same time

Aww i bet your kids adorable and proud of their mum :smile:
My essay writing skils arent that bright either haha do they give ypu assingments? If yes then what kinds?
Ps: sorry for ahooting you with soo many questions :frown:
Aww i bet your kids adorable and proud of their mum :smile:
My essay writing skils arent that bright either haha do they give ypu assingments? If yes then what kinds?
Ps: sorry for ahooting you with soo many questions :frown:

aw thank you :smile:
my essay skills are fairly good lol but mine is all assignment based and itl probably different from the type you do as im ultimatly doing business management.
na its ok
Original post by shawtyb
aw thank you :smile:
my essay skills are fairly good lol but mine is all assignment based and itl probably different from the type you do as im ultimatly doing business management.
na its ok

Aww touchwood haha! Goodluck with your course :smile:
Aww touchwood haha! Goodluck with your course :smile:

thanks, you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending